cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Iginite TV Box loses network setting

maghamir
I'm here a lot

I have to TV Boxes and one of the boxes losses my network setting every couple of days.  I have to go and find the wifi and set the password again and it works for another 2 days. I use my own router and have strong signals for both. I do not lose any internet just that tv box. Any suggestion will be appreciated. 

*** Edited Labels ***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Iginite TV Box loses network setting

maghamir
I'm here a lot

Good news: I chatted with the tech support and they will be sending me a new TV Box. The support person was really good and did not give me any grief. I hate when they assume that the person on the other side does not know anything technical. So all is good now. 

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

RogersZia

Good evening @maghamir,

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums. 

You've definitely come to the right place. How long have you experienced this issue for? Does this happen with any other device in the household too? Have you tried to reboot the modem and then the set top box (in that order)? Once you power cycle the modem, power cycle the Ignite set-top box. This will reset the set-top box and the network connection to the modem.

Please keep us posted!

@-G- do you have anything to add?

RogersZia

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@maghamir @RogersZia  I have had this happen to me before but I don't know what causes it to happen.  I suspect that if the box's Wi-Fi connection is unstable, for whatever reason, that it will try to connect to the Ignite gateway and if the gateway cannot provide valid Wi-Fi credentials to the STB, it will drop off of Wi-Fi.

To fix it, I basically tried to get the STB to completely disconnect from Wi-Fi by pressing the WPS button on the bottom/centre of set-top box.  (There's a depression with two arrows pointing at each other.)  Proceed with trying to pair the set-top box but reboot the box (by power-cycling it) during the two-minute countdown.  When the STB reboots and tries to reconnect to the network, it will fail and prompt you to connect to Wi-Fi manually.

I have experienced this since the beginning about 10 days ago. I do not lose connection to any other device in the house so the problem is not either the modem or my router it only happens to this STB which is on the 2nd floor but it does not happen to the STB on the 3rd floor. I do have a strong connection through out the house.  I am going to power cycle the STB a few times and see what happens but I strongly believe that if the problem is not resolved the STB is at fault. 

ColdGranite
I'm a senior contributor

@maghamir wrote:

I have experienced this since the beginning about 10 days ago. I do not lose connection to any other device in the house so the problem is not either the modem or my router it only happens to this STB which is on the 2nd floor but it does not happen to the STB on the 3rd floor. I do have a strong connection through out the house.  I am going to power cycle the STB a few times and see what happens but I strongly believe that if the problem is not resolved the STB is at fault. 

The following is time-consuming and annoying...

but it would prove to Rogers if the box is bad... or prove to yourself if it is something else.

You say that you have two boxes.   

Switch the two boxes... I know that it may mean re-pairing to the TVs, etc.

But if the box continues to fail at its new location, then its the box.

If the box at the old failure-location now fails, it has to do something with location... interference, etc....

or with the hookup to that tv, etc.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@maghamir wrote:

I can't explain why this happens.  It may or may not be a defective set-top box.  However, remember that the Comcast STBs are also not "normal" Wi-Fi clients; they are specifically meant to be paired to a Comcast gateway and Comcast does not officially support their set-top boxes connected to 3rd-party Wi-Fi.

I just remember this same thing happening one time when I had to make some network changes.  I think that I temporarily needed to revert back to a Rogers-supported configuration and had my set-top boxes directly connected to the XB6 by Wi-Fi.  When I went back to my usual configuration and connected my set-top boxes to my Wi-Fi mesh network, I had one set-top box that kept dropping off of Wi-Fi.  I put my XB6 back into gateway mode and that set-top box connected to the XB6 on its own.

I put the XB6 back into bridge mode but still had a problem with that one set-top box connecting back to my own Wi-Fi network.  I did that same trick that I posted earlier to purge the Wi-Fi association from that set-top box, reconnected that box to my own Wi-Fi and I never had any problems with that STB dropping off of Wi-Fi after that.

I have done all the tests and still this morning the box lost the network setting. It is obvious that there is a problem with the box. Now I have to call the technical support and I am dreading that. 

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@maghamir wrote:

I have done all the tests and still this morning the box lost the network setting. It is obvious that there is a problem with the box. Now I have to call the technical support and I am dreading that. 

It's not a big deal.  In this situation, I simply revert back to a Rogers-supported configuration with all of my set-top boxes connected directly to the Ignite gateway via Wi-Fi.  Rogers will then be able to run their tests, access stats on your set-top boxes, and access Wi-Fi stats that only they can see on the Ignite gateway.  If your set-top box is indeed defective, Rogers should be able to confirm that and get a replacement to you as soon as possible.

You can call Rogers Tech Support by telephone or you can contact the @CommunityHelps team for assistance by sending them a private message.

maghamir
I'm here a lot

Good news: I chatted with the tech support and they will be sending me a new TV Box. The support person was really good and did not give me any grief. I hate when they assume that the person on the other side does not know anything technical. So all is good now. 

Topic Stats
  • 8 replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 4 in conversation