cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IGNITE TV REMOTE NOT WORKING

BrendanCharles
I Plan to Stick Around

IGNITE TV REMOTE NOT WORKING. CAN'T WATCH COVID-19 NEWS.

I absolutely hate Rogers Ignite!!! Among the frozen pictures, the seven seconds it takes to change to another channel, and the unpredictable muting - now my remote won't change channels or do anything else except change the input and turn off the TV. I can't even change it to a news channel to get pandemic updates. What a piece of junk. Whoever designed and approved Rogers Ignite for the public should be canned. ABSOLUTELY HORRIBLE.

 

 

**Labels Added**

37 REPLIES 37

Re: IGNITE TV REMOTE NOT WORKING

is there a last channel function???

Re: IGNITE TV REMOTE NOT WORKING

Lurker_Returns
I'm a Reliable Contributor
Not directly.

If you hit the back Arrow (to the left of the voice command button on the XR15) it brings up a list of the previous 9 channels you watched.

The cursor defaults to the last channel tuned in, so if you hit the select button, it functions like a last channel watched button

You can also use the "Last Channel" voice command.

Re: IGNITE TV REMOTE NOT WORKING

AGC1264
I Plan to Stick Around

Searching for "Rogers Ignite controller issues" I find this page, that is basically a summary of issues based on its use... finding the right button for this, and technical issues, pretty standard stuff.

 

But what I am *not* seeing is any indication of just how bad this remote is.

 

When I use the fast-forward and fast-reverse, I see it progress forwards and backwards, as intended.

 

But when I press play, I expect [maybe this is too much to ask] I expect it to start exactly where I am pressing play.

 

That is more often than not, not the case.

 

Example - fast-forward through commercials, see start of programme again after ad break, press play and... it plays the entire commercial - exactly NOT what I wanted to do.

 

Quite often, when I try to reverse back to a part I missed, I see that part show up when reversing... press Play, and it starts RIGHT BACK WHERE I STARTED REVERSING FROM.

 

So, I acknowledge some of these questions are technology-related - getting used to the controller - i.e. finding "last channel" etc.

 

But what I am stating here - quite obviously - is that this controller is absolute junk.

 

And no "learning" or "direction" is going to overcome this.

 

Paying the highest price for a handful of channels - even with the 20pack added - and yet, its like 2002 all over again with the . equipment.

 

Please start reviewing your products more closely and ensuring some level of quality before unleashing on us, the paying consumer. Because as of 3 days after *upgrading* to Ignite, I want off.

Re: IGNITE TV REMOTE NOT WORKING

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@AGC1264  You might find the following tip helpful: https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Ignite-TV/Fast-Forward-Recordings-with-Ignite-TV-Remote/m-p/44...

This will cause PgUp and PgDown to skip forward 30 seconds and skip back 15 seconds, which makes it much easier to skip commercials or go back to see/hear something that you just missed.

 

Yes, when using FF and Rew, pressing Play does not resume playback at the precise spot where you want it to; really irritating when you only want to go back a few seconds.  However, the "Go back 5 seconds" voice command will work better for you in this case.

Re: IGNITE TV REMOTE NOT WORKING

AGC1264
I Plan to Stick Around

Personally NOT interested in talking to my devices. Just need the buttons to work as they should. Thanks.

Re: IGNITE TV REMOTE NOT WORKING

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@AGC1264 wrote:

Personally NOT interested in talking to my devices. Just need the buttons to work as they should. Thanks.


Sorry, I was just trying to be helpful.  I don't work for Rogers and I didn't design Ignite TV.

 

Like any service, Ignite TV has its irritating quirks.  If you can get past those, you will find that Ignite TV generally works quite well.  I don't know why "go back 5 seconds" works but you can't do the same with Rewind/Play.

Re: IGNITE TV REMOTE NOT WORKING

AGC1264
I Plan to Stick Around

Many thanks for your reply.

 

The remote simply needs to work as intended. I just don't want to talk to it.

 

The remote is still a piece of junk.

Re: IGNITE TV REMOTE NOT WORKING

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@AGC1264 wrote:

Many thanks for your reply.

 

The remote simply needs to work as intended. I just don't want to talk to it.

The remote is still a piece of . .


The Rewind a few seconds/Play issue is not a problem with the remote.  With streaming services, video is basically sent as a series of segments that are a few seconds long.  If you picture the buffered video stream like this:

... [Segment A] [Segment B] [Segment C] [Current segment]

 

.... and rewind to a point somewhere in the middle of "Segment B", then press Play, you will find that playback will resume at the beginning of "Segment C" rather than at the precise point where you pressed Play.  However, "go back X seconds" will resume playback at a precise point.  It's a bug as far as I am concerned, that should not be all that hard to fix.  I don't know why it hasn't been fixed ages ago.

Re: IGNITE TV REMOTE NOT WORKING

AGC1264
I Plan to Stick Around

Thank you for this explanation - makes sense.

 

But if the technology Rogers presents shows the frames in small chunks, one would expect to be able to access them as we see them - not some technological limitation that presents itself.

 

Oddly enough - I have been working a high-end streaming video platform that rivals Zoom and if my developer and I presented this type of glitch to my client we would be over and done with in a heartbeat.

 

Not impressed.

 

Thanks.

 

Re: IGNITE TV REMOTE NOT WORKING

Kiran2021
I've Been Around

So I went through the instructions to pair the  XR15 remote with Ignite setup box but was unable to complete it. Upon Pressing Rogers + I, status light changes from red to green, but nothing else happens. There is no prompt on the TV and no pairing code appears.  Am I missing something? Any suggestions?

Re: IGNITE TV REMOTE NOT WORKING

Hello, @Kiran2021.

 

Thank you for joining this conversation, and welcome to Rogers Community Forums!

 

Upon Pressing Rogers + I, status light changes from red to green, but nothing else happens. There is no prompt on the TV and no pairing code appears.  Am I missing something? Any suggestions?

Once the light turns green, you need to press Rogers. The light should flash and the TV screen will prompt you to enter the provided 3-digit code. Please make sure to set the TV input to which the Ignite TV box is connected. 

 

Let us know if you have any more questions. 

 

Cheers,

RogersMoin

Re: IGNITE TV REMOTE NOT WORKING

Red_Wolf
I Plan to Stick Around

@Kiran2021 wrote:

So I went through the instructions to pair the  XR15 remote with Ignite setup box but was unable to complete it. Upon Pressing Rogers + I, status light changes from red to green, but nothing else happens. There is no prompt on the TV and no pairing code appears.  Am I missing something? Any suggestions?


I have the exact same problem with mine. The set top box just shows a menu for choosing a language - but it never gives me a pairing code of any kind.

Re: IGNITE TV REMOTE NOT WORKING

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Red_Wolf wrote:

@Kiran2021 wrote:

So I went through the instructions to pair the  XR15 remote with Ignite setup box but was unable to complete it. Upon Pressing Rogers + I, status light changes from red to green, but nothing else happens. There is no prompt on the TV and no pairing code appears.  Am I missing something? Any suggestions?


I have the exact same problem with mine. The set top box just shows a menu for choosing a language - but it never gives me a pairing code of any kind.


You may find the following support article helpful: https://www.rogers.com/customer/support/article/troubleshoot-ignite-remote

 

If you cannot get the Ignite remote to pair with the set-top box, perform a factory reset on the remote by entering setup code 981.  (Instructions for this are provided in the link above.)  That will unpair the remote and reset its programming.  (The remote will now operate in IR (infrared) mode until it is paired again.)  Next, point the Ignite voice remote DIRECTLY at the set-top box and press the Microphone button.  You should get an on-screen prompt asking if you would like to start using voice commands.  Select "Yes" and follow the on-screen prompts to pair and program the remote.

 

 

Re: IGNITE TV REMOTE NOT WORKING

Red_Wolf
I Plan to Stick Around

@-G- wrote:

@Red_Wolf wrote:

@Kiran2021 wrote:

So I went through the instructions to pair the  XR15 remote with Ignite setup box but was unable to complete it. Upon Pressing Rogers + I, status light changes from red to green, but nothing else happens. There is no prompt on the TV and no pairing code appears.  Am I missing something? Any suggestions?


I have the exact same problem with mine. The set top box just shows a menu for choosing a language - but it never gives me a pairing code of any kind.


You may find the following support article helpful: https://www.rogers.com/customer/support/article/troubleshoot-ignite-remote

 

If you cannot get the Ignite remote to pair with the set-top box, perform a factory reset on the remote by entering setup code 981.  (Instructions for this are provided in the link above.)  That will unpair the remote and reset its programming.  (The remote will now operate in IR (infrared) mode until it is paired again.)  Next, point the Ignite voice remote DIRECTLY at the set-top box and press the Microphone button.  You should get an on-screen prompt asking if you would like to start using voice commands.  Select "Yes" and follow the on-screen prompts to pair and program the remote.

 

 


Thanks. I finally got it working. The problem was that I had to get through the initial device setup first (using the remote in IR mode) before I could actually pair the remote - and that's not mentioned in the manual that came with it. But then additionally, in IR mode I didn't realize I had to push the buttons so hard and hold them so long for the device to register the button presses so I initially thought it wasn't working at all. Once I slogged through the device setup I was then able to use the Rogers + I button to initiate the pairing.

Re: IGNITE TV REMOTE NOT WORKING

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Red_Wolf  That's great news!  I hope you enjoy your new TV service!

Re: IGNITE TV REMOTE NOT WORKING

Tried all off this nothing works. I get voice control only. All else has to be controlled by TV remote. We have a Seiki, Samsung, Hiesence RCA and this new JVC bought today. The only one not working properly. This whole changeover experience has been awful. They never mentioned my Roger's email would be wiped out until migrated to the ignite system. Instructions terrible. Online help terrible. Forum's have helped. I have spent 2 days on this . . Ready to dump Roger's after over 30 years. Frustrated

Re: IGNITE TV REMOTE NOT WORKING

Hello, @tcvaughan

 

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums!

 

Its disappointing to see that you've been having so many issues since the switch over to Ignite TV. We definitely want to try to make things right for you.

 

Can you confirm if it is the JVC TV that is not working properly? Have you tried using the code finder on www.urcsupport.com/rogers/ to find the pairing code for your specific make/model of TV?

 

I have done a quick search of JVC pairing codes and I am getting: 11774, 12321, and 11756. Can you provide us with the specific model numbers of the JVC TV you are using? Please follow the steps below once you have obtained the pairing code.

 

Turn on your TV and follow the steps below to set up your remote
Be sure to point the remote at your TV during setup

 

Step 1:
Press and hold ROGERS and Mute buttons together for 5 seconds until the LED turns GREEN

 

Step 2:
Using the digit keys on the remote, enter the code shown in the CodeFinder on this web page.

 

Step 3:
Test the remote to confirm that it controls your TV Power and Volume functions as expected. If it does not, try again using the next code listed.

 

I hope this is helpful to you. Please let us know if you continue to experience issues.

 

RogersTony

Topic Stats