cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IGNITE TV REMOTE NOT WORKING

BrendanCharles
I plan to stick around

IGNITE TV REMOTE NOT WORKING. CAN'T WATCH COVID-19 NEWS.

I absolutely hate Rogers Ignite!!! Among the frozen pictures, the seven seconds it takes to change to another channel, and the unpredictable muting - now my remote won't change channels or do anything else except change the input and turn off the TV. I can't even change it to a news channel to get pandemic updates. What a piece of junk. Whoever designed and approved Rogers Ignite for the public should be canned. ABSOLUTELY HORRIBLE.

**Labels Added**

37 REPLIES 37

Re: IGNITE TV REMOTE NOT WORKING

RogersYasmine

Hi @BrendanCharles,

Thank you for bringing these matters to our attention. We are disappointed to hear that your experience with our Ignite TV service hasn't been a very pleasant one. That's not good. 😕

With regards to your Ignite remote, is this only happening on one TV? Do you have any other TVs hooked up to Ignite service that are experiencing the same issues? I would start by rebooting the boxes beginning with your modem. Once the modem has been rebooted an is back online (look for the white light to confirm), you may begin rebooting your TV boxes one by one. 

If the issue still persists after the reboot, please try swapping out your batteries to some new batteries to see if this helps. 

We appreciate your reaching out via the Rogers Community Forums and we look forward to an update from you soon! 🙂

RogersLaura

@BrendanCharles  I'm not sure what could have happened here, whether the remote lost its pairing, got mixed up between TVs, or if the remote and set-top box are no longer communicating over RF.

Regardless, here are a few things to try out:

Press the Microphone button on the remote and look at the status LED.  If the status indicator is red, the remote is not paired and is likely only sending IR codes when you press buttons.  If the status light turns blue and the remote's speaker emits a "bloop" tone, the remote is paired and communicating with a set-top box.  If the light is blue and you hear an error tone, the remote is paired but the corresponding set-top box is either off, out of range or not responding.

If you got a red status light in the previous test, point the remote DIRECTLY at the set-top box and it should respond.  To re-pair the remote, point the remote at the STB and press the Microphone button.  The STB will prompt you to initiate the pairing process.

If you got a blue status indicator but want to use the remote that you are holding with that set-top box, you will need to un-pair it and then re-pair it, and the procedure is different depending on whether you have the older, "rounded" XR11 remote or the newer, "wedge-shaped" XR15 remote.

With the XR11 remote, press and hold the Setup button for a few seconds until the status indicator turns green, then enter code 9-8-7.

If you have the XR15 remote, press and hold the A (triangle) and D (diamond) buttons simultaneously for a few seconds until the status indicator turns green, then enter code 9-8-7

At this point, the remote should be able to control the set-top with IR signals.  To re-pair the remote, point the remote directly at the set-top box, press the Microphone button.  You should get an on-screen prompt that will guide you through the pairing process.

If none of the above work, even after trying @RogersYasmine 's advice, you can try to factory-reset the remote.  However this is more drastic as it will not only un-pair the remote but it will also clear the programming for the TV.  To do this, enter setup code 9-8-1 using the same procedure as above for your specific remote.  You will then need to re-pair and reprogram the remote for your TV.

For more information on troubleshooting and pairing the Ignite TV Voice Remote, go to:

Troubleshooting your Voice remote

Pairing the Ignite TV Voice Remote

For information on programming your remote to control your TV and AV devices, go to:

https://www.urcsupport.com/urc_product/rogers-xr11-2/

https://www.urcsupport.com/urc_product/rogers-xr15/

anne8
I've been around

My TV is not responding to the control

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@anne8  Are you experiencing the same problem as the one reported in this thread?

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I just wanted to add that I also ran into this weird glitch last night with one of my Xi6-T set-top boxes and an XR15 remote.  For whatever reason, the remote and STB were not communicating.  I actually got prompted to re-pair the remote but clicking the Microphone button confirmed that the remote thought that it was paired.  The remote's battery level was 68%, so not terribly low.  The only unique thing about that particular STB is that it is the only one where I have Power Saver set to On.

On a positive note, I didn't have to resort to any tricks to get things working again.  I pointed the remote directly at the set-top box (so that the remote could still send codes via IR if it were to fallback to that mode) and the glitch got sorted out just by following on-screen prompts.

BrendanCharles
I plan to stick around
Reset the entire thing. Good thing I am moving in less than a month - I can cancel this atrociously junky cable along with my other Rogers services. Just horrible.

And now it’s not working again. Nor is it the batteries (which would only be four months old). ROGERS YOUR IGNITE IS JUNK!!!

@BrendanCharles  Is the status LED on your remote flashing RED several times whenever you press a button?  If so, then your batteries are almost exhausted and need to be replaced.  You can also check the battery level by entering setup code "9 9 9".  See Troubleshooting your Voice remote for more details.

If it's not the batteries, where is your Ignite set-top box located?  Is it out in the open or hidden away in an enclosure (or behind something) that's interfering not only with your remote but with Wi-Fi as well?  You seem to be having an unusual number of problems that I have never seen in all my time using Ignite TV.

BrendanCharles
I plan to stick around
There seem to be quite a few people on here with a bunch of issues. But not to worry. I’ve decided to cancel Rogers Ignite. Soon I’ll be free of what is undoubtedly the glitchiest tech product I have ever used in my life. And that’s ultimately the problem: a plethora of tiny, but frustrating issues that can’t be remedied because they can’t be replicated and identified.

Vangoughv
I've been around

I sympathize.   It is the most frustrating system I've every had to deal with.  Today it's just junk, I've tried resetting everything repeatedly and get different results every time.  After repeated resets we finally have one channel on 2 of the TVs and like you the remote will only control the TV functions.

cindygetz
I've been here awhile
I have 4 boxes. The remote stopped working for one, so I fixed it, took a while, but got it done. Somehow, me fixing the one, caused the same issue on my other TV, so fixed it. This then caused an issue on my third TV. Fixed that. Then it happened to the first TV again! . . And it's not so easy to fix, as the remote takes awhile to respond when I press info and menu button. If I continue to be frustrated, will need to see what Bell has in the way of cable.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@cindygetz  Welcome to the Community!

It sounds like you may have gotten your remotes mixed up between TVs.  To get everything back into a good state gain, go to each remote, unpair and reset it (by entering setup code 9-8-1), then pair it with the set-top box that is next to you.  This will ensure that the remote first gets disconnected from whatever set-top box it had been paired to before you try to pair it again.

cindygetz
I've been here awhile
I did re-pair them all, but didn't get them mixed up, as they are all on different floors. Not sure why it happened.

adamdan1
I'm here a lot

How do I get this Ignite remote to change my actual tv settings ie. to tweak my Samsung tv picture / sound etc.? Please respond with a simple solution. Not links to useless . . Thanks 😃

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The IgniteTV remote is not designed to do that. It may handle simple functions like on/off, volume, input, but that's usually it.  You'll need to use your TV remote to change the various user menu settings.  If you don't have your TV remote for some reason, you may wish to purchase a programmable remote like the Harmony 665 or similar, which, once properly programmed, will handle all (IR) functionality of any IR devices.  This sort of remote is very useful if you have more devices, like a BD player, AVR, etc.  The 665, or similar, is often on sale for about $50, say Black Friday, Boxing Week, etc.

adamdan1
I'm here a lot
Alternative? Would the newer RF remote I used with Netbox 3.0 be compatible with Ignite tv?

Greetings @adamdan1!

Welcome!

Ignite TV has its own remote. The remote that came with your Nextbox is not compatible.

Regards,

RogersCorey

Rogers of course had to chose a remote with a terrible layout... 

Alohababy
I've been around
Reset the remote and everything can be programmed

seadooxp30
I'm a reliable contributor

I agree. for past  2 years I spend more time with support and managers and office of president that I use TV 🙂

Topic Stats