How to set wifi channel on Technicolor XB6 ?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply
-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
Posts: 2,049

Re: How to set wifi channel on Technicolor XB6 ?

@gp-se Sorry, I didn't bookmark that thread.  I will try to find it again.

 

HOWEVER, I just thought of something else that might break the link.  I remember that the Ignite WiFi Hub portal will not allow you to log in (and will display an error) when your Ignite gateway is in bridge mode.

 

So... perhaps this may work:

  1. Connect a computer to the XB6 using an Ethernet cable.  (use Ethernet port 1; disconnect anything connected to port 2)
  2. Log into the XB6 and enable Bridge Mode.  (This will disable Wi-Fi and all of your devices will lose connectivity.
  3. Wait 5 minutes  (Hopefully, during this time, the link to the WiFi Hub will get severed.)
  4. Log into the XB6 again and disable Bridge Mode.
  5. When the XB6 comes back online, see if you have access to your Wi-Fi settings again.  If you do, change them while you still can.


gp-se
I'm an Advisor
Posts: 1,143

Re: How to set wifi channel on Technicolor XB6 ?


@-G- wrote:

@gp-se Sorry, I didn't bookmark that thread.  I will try to find it again.

 

HOWEVER, I just thought of something else that might break the link.  I remember that the Ignite WiFi Hub portal will not allow you to log in (and will display an error) when your Ignite gateway is in bridge mode.

 

So... perhaps this may work:

  1. Connect a computer to the XB6 using an Ethernet cable.  (use Ethernet port 1; disconnect anything connected to port 2)
  2. Log into the XB6 and enable Bridge Mode.  (This will disable Wi-Fi and all of your devices will lose connectivity.
  3. Wait 5 minutes  (Hopefully, during this time, the link to the WiFi Hub will get severed.)
  4. Log into the XB6 again and disable Bridge Mode.
  5. When the XB6 comes back online, see if you have access to your Wi-Fi settings again.  If you do, change them while you still can.

@-G- 

I tried doing this, I was able to change WiFi settings again, however 5 minutes later I noticed the WiFi channel changed again. When I logged into the modem I saw its back to having Rogers managed all the settings. So there is no permanent work around 😞

 

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
Posts: 2,049

Re: How to set wifi channel on Technicolor XB6 ?

@gp-se  Dang, that's unfortunate.  You got control back only to have it snatched away again.  I don't have anything else to suggest at this point.  The only ones who can do something about this is Rogers.

 

You could just use the Ignite WiFi Hub to change whatever Wi-Fi options you can.

You could enable Bridge Mode on the XB6 and use your own router and Wi-Fi.

Your path of least resistance would be take advantage of the Ignite WiFi Promise and go with a Rogers-supported Wall-to-wall WiFi solution.

 

You could also call into Rogers and cancel your service due to serious technical problems that Rogers seems unable to fix.  They will probably engage support and your issue might get escalated to a senior person who CAN find a way to get the WiFi Hub disabled on your account.

 

Your last-resort option would be to follow through with the cancellation and switch to another service.

 

If you do not require Ignite TV but still want to remain with Rogers, another option would be to switch to Fido Home Internet, where you can use a Hitron CODA gateway and where they will not force the Ignite WiFi Hub down your throat.



toolcubed
I'm a Reliable Contributor
Posts: 448

Re: How to set wifi channel on Technicolor XB6 ?

If someone never uses the Ignite WiFi hub, would it ever (at any point in time) get enabled by itself or by Rogers? For example, if someone is brand new to the Ignite TV platform, logs into the XB6/7 using its IP address via a browser, and then either configures the WiFi settings or enables bridge mode and uses a 3rd party router, would any backend system attempt to override and engage the WiFi hub if it was never used at all?
-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
Posts: 2,049

Re: How to set wifi channel on Technicolor XB6 ?


@toolcubed wrote:
If someone never uses the Ignite WiFi hub, would it ever (at any point in time) get enabled by itself or by Rogers?

I believe that is the case now.  I did an Ignite TV self-install for a family member a few months ago.  Used a web browser to perform the initial setup and configuration.  The WiFi Hub mobile app was never used or installed, and never accessed the WiFi Hub web app either.  Then, a short time later, I found that I could no longer make any WiFi changes directly on the XB6.  The WiFi Hub got enabled without any action on our part that could have triggered it.

 

Resistance is futile.

 

For example, if someone is brand new to the Ignite TV platform, logs into the XB6/7 using its IP address via a browser, and then either configures the WiFi settings or enables bridge mode and uses a 3rd party router, would any backend system attempt to override and engage the WiFi hub if it was never used at all?

The WiFi Hub is not active when Bridge Mode is enabled but Rogers is still in control of the Ignite gateway, and they can still provision the services that are still active internally.

 

However, as far as I know, if you are able to set WiFi channels and then switch to bridge mode, those channel settings will stick and be used by the hidden WiFi networks (that we have no control over) that remain enabled.



gp-se
I'm an Advisor
Posts: 1,143

Re: How to set wifi channel on Technicolor XB6 ?


@toolcubed wrote:
If someone never uses the Ignite WiFi hub, would it ever (at any point in time) get enabled by itself or by Rogers? For example, if someone is brand new to the Ignite TV platform, logs into the XB6/7 using its IP address via a browser, and then either configures the WiFi settings or enables bridge mode and uses a 3rd party router, would any backend system attempt to override and engage the WiFi hub if it was never used at all?

@toolcubed 

as @-G- mentioned, it will get enabled no matter what. I know for a fact my mother doesn't have any Ignite App's or ever used the ignite web portal to make changes, however the WiFi settings are being controlled by Rogers. Hopefully Rogers will send the message to Comcast that users want control over the WiFi settings and return control to us.

gp-se
I'm an Advisor
Posts: 1,143

Re: How to set wifi channel on Technicolor XB6 ?


@-G- wrote:

@gp-se  Dang, that's unfortunate.  You got control back only to have it snatched away again.  I don't have anything else to suggest at this point.  The only ones who can do something about this is Rogers.

 

You could just use the Ignite WiFi Hub to change whatever Wi-Fi options you can.

You could enable Bridge Mode on the XB6 and use your own router and Wi-Fi.

Your path of least resistance would be take advantage of the Ignite WiFi Promise and go with a Rogers-supported Wall-to-wall WiFi solution.

 

You could also call into Rogers and cancel your service due to serious technical problems that Rogers seems unable to fix.  They will probably engage support and your issue might get escalated to a senior person who CAN find a way to get the WiFi Hub disabled on your account.

 

Your last-resort option would be to follow through with the cancellation and switch to another service.

 

If you do not require Ignite TV but still want to remain with Rogers, another option would be to switch to Fido Home Internet, where you can use a Hitron CODA gateway and where they will not force the Ignite WiFi Hub down your throat.


@-G- 

I feel like the only way to gain control is using the Gateway in Bridge mode with a third party router. However I don't want to spend $250-$300 on a third party router that provides the same coverage as the XB6 with it's 8x8 Antenna setup. The XB6 has great range that cheaper routers cannot match, so to get something comparable you need to spend a good amount of money. 

 

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
Posts: 2,049

Re: How to set wifi channel on Technicolor XB6 ?


@gp-se wrote:
as @-G- mentioned, it will get enabled no matter what. I know for a fact my mother doesn't have any Ignite App's or ever used the ignite web portal to make changes, however the WiFi settings are being controlled by Rogers. Hopefully Rogers will send the message to Comcast that users want control over the WiFi settings and return control to us.

I don't think that this is purely driven by Comcast.  I would be shocked if Rogers does not have some at least some control.  Rather, there are more likely internal design decisions and justifications for how things are provisioned and policies in place as to what can and cannot be changed.  In the end, it does not make much difference whether it's a "can't do" or "won't do" situation.

 

The reality is, the fewer options that they provide their customers and the more control that is kept centrally, the easier things will be for them to support.

 

There are also too many people out there who have no clue what they are doing when it comes to WiFi.  They don't know how to install it, how to configure it, how to manage it, what makes it work well or what makes it perform poorly.  They end up being a menace to themselves and to those around them.  Rogers also needs to be able to support these people.

 

And this is why we can't have nice things.



-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
Posts: 2,049

Re: How to set wifi channel on Technicolor XB6 ?


@gp-se wrote:
I feel like the only way to gain control is using the Gateway in Bridge mode with a third party router. However I don't want to spend $250-$300 on a third party router that provides the same coverage as the XB6 with it's 8x8 Antenna setup. The XB6 has great range that cheaper routers cannot match, so to get something comparable you need to spend a good amount of money. 

I agree completely.  I can understand why Rogers may want to do things a certain way to streamline their support and keep things as consistent as possible.  However, I also find it frustrating that we cannot have full control over how the XB6 and XB7 behave, and that we are so limited in our ability to configure these devices and no visibility into how these devices are actually configured and provisioned centrally.

 

I also personally do not like any of my network devices to be managed "through the cloud", especially those that play a key role in securing my in-home network.

 

Also, for those of us that do have Bridge Mode enabled, a lot of expensive hardware goes unused.  (The only benefit to a gateway vs a simple modem is that if I should ever run into problems, all that I need to do is disable Bridge Mode and call support.  I don't need to waste time proving that the problem is not being caused by my own equipment.)



toolcubed
I'm a Reliable Contributor
Posts: 448

Re: How to set wifi channel on Technicolor XB6 ?

Thanks guys. I completely agree with what you’re saying but boy does this suck. Every time I get closer to switching to Ignite, I hear of more bad news with the platform. This time around, I was really looking forward to the change, especially with the amazing promotional offer I was given. I will still switch to take advantage of the promotion because staying on legacy digital will be far too expensive by comparison. I will use my own equipment with the gateway bridged as I’ve mentioned before. I just really hope that configuration never stops working and that Rogers never forces their Ignite service to work ONLY in gateway mode. Fingers crossed. Thanks again guys.