cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to set wifi channel on Technicolor XB6 ?

Yomofo
I've been here awhile

Is it still possible to access advanced settings and for example set the wifi channel on the ignite modem - Technicolor XB6? I have a feeling Rogers has completely disabled the ability to change advanced settings.

***Edited Labels***

55 REPLIES 55

Re: How to set wifi channel on Technicolor XB6 ?

RoyK
I've been around
Rogers will say anything to get you off the phone. I called in and they have to send a technician out. Online technician could not find any way to change the channels. I see about 8 other users on the same 2.4G and 5G channels as me. I pay for Gigibit service and often am getting 0.56Mbps download and 1.52Mbps upload speeds. Pinging the modem's gateway often results in average latency of 358ms. When I switch to a direct Ethernet connection to the same modem, same time frame, I get an average latency of 1ms. Direct connection also gets me over 490Mpps down and over 32Mbpps upload speeds. The WiFi on this modem is horrible and I am shocked Rogers locked us out of being able to fix issues ourselves.

barry_smith53
I've been around
Trying to gain access to the ignite modem to check what channel it is on? I am going to http://10.0.0.1 it brings up a sign on page but I put in admin then paasword and it comes back failed what am I doing wrong

Hello, @barry_smith53.

Welcome to Rogers Community Forums! 😃

Thank you for posing your login concern in the Community. 

If you have used the Ignite WiFi Hub app to set up the modem, then the password to the modem's login could be your WiFi password. Have you tried your WiFi password to login into the modem?

Please keep us posted. 

Cheers,

RogersMoin

Same here.

What is the password associated with this modem?  It isn't my Rogers account password, that is for sure. It also isn't my wifi access password either.

Will I have to call tech support?

@Charlie_Victor  The default admin password on the XB6 is "password".  (I think that the password only gets changed to your WiFi password if you use the mobile app to install your service... but I'm not 100% sure about this since I have never used the WiFi Hub mobile app.)

gp-se
I'm an advisor

@Don_Ca wrote:
You lose the option to set the channel when you use the phone app. As suggested above, reset the modem to factory defaults and do not use the phone app.

Is it confirmed that performing a factory reset will allow me to change WiFi setings? It says I can go to ignitewifi.rogers.com to make changes, however this is for my mothers modem, and I don't know her rogers log in info. 

Don_Ca
I'm a senior contributor
For most, this does. Log out of the app first, then do the factory reset. Using the web interface, does not allow the changes you want. If you use the app or the online web interface you will lose those settings again. Only use the local web interface on the modem.

gp-se
I'm an advisor

@Don_Ca wrote:
For most, this does. Log out of the app first, then do the factory reset. Using the web interface, does not allow the changes you want. If you use the app or the online web interface you will lose those settings again. Only use the local web interface on the modem.

Thanks I'll give a factory reset a try. I actually never installed the app or used the ignitewifi web interface on this modem/account.

gp-se
I'm an advisor

I just did two factory resets, I still cannot change the WiFi settings. I have no Pods, just an XB6. I don't have a way to log into ignitewifi.rogers.com as this isn't my personal account/modem. I confirmed no one is using any Rogers/Ignite app to control anything. How can I regain control of my WiFi settings? This is frustrating!

Don_Ca
I'm a senior contributor
If you used the app, did you log out first? That is an important step. You have to log out from the phone app and web app first, then factory reset.

gp-se
I'm an advisor

@Don_Ca wrote:
If you used the app, did you log out first? That is an important step. You have to log out from the phone app and web app first, then factory reset.

No one has ever used the phone app or web app. This is for my mothers modem, she doesn't have a smartphone or even know about apps...

What options do I have to regain WiFi control? I wish Rogers would stop taking control away from us, at least give us the option to make changes to our modem if we know how. 

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@gp-se  If you don't have Pods installed, you should still have control over channels and other Wi-Fi settings through the Ignite WiFi Hub.  You can also request that Rogers disable the Ignite WiFi Hub on the account.  They may or may not do this anymore but it does not hurt to ask.

bmacaskill
I plan to stick around

Using the 10.0.0.1 UI, I clearly (and recently) was able to set my 5 GHz band to "Channel Selection: Manual" and choose a channel (157).

I see that the same page no longer allows changes ("Wi-Fi Mode, Security Mode, Channel Selection, Channel Mode, and Channel Bandwidth are being managed automatically to help optimize your home Wi-Fi network and improve Wi-Fi coverage") and that the Ignite WiFi app and web page do not expose this functionality either.

So I'm stuck on Manual/157, which was just a whim/experiment. I suspect Auto would be a better choice.

Any ideas?

@bmacaskill wrote:

Using the 10.0.0.1 UI, I clearly (and recently) was able to set my 5 GHz band to "Channel Selection: Manual" and choose a channel (157).

I see that the same page no longer allows changes ("Wi-Fi Mode, Security Mode, Channel Selection, Channel Mode, and Channel Bandwidth are being managed automatically to help optimize your home Wi-Fi network and improve Wi-Fi coverage") and that the Ignite WiFi app and web page do not expose this functionality either.

So I'm stuck on Manual/157, which was just a whim/experiment. I suspect Auto would be a better choice.

Any ideas?

@bmacaskill 

What firmware version are you using that lets you manually select channel 157?

@bmacaskill, given that the modem is using channel 157, there's a very good chance that your further ahead.  Industry Canada wifi power limitations are 200  milli-watts for the lower 5 Ghz channels, 250 milli-watts for the DFS channels,  and 1 watt for the upper 5 Ghz channels, including the channel 157 that you're currently on.  That higher power output will result in an increased operating range from the modem, higher signal levels, higher signal to noise ratios and a higher data rate as a result.  Yes, there might be competition for that channel or adjacent channels, but, with the higher power levels, you will probably find that you're better off.  I see that happen even when my neighbour is using the same upper channel range.  Switching to the lower channel range, with its reduced power levels, and channel competition results in lower data rates.  So, its back to the upper channel range ......

@Datalink wrote:

@bmacaskill, given that the modem is using channel 157, there's a very good chance that your further ahead.  Industry Canada wifi power limitations are 200  milli-watts for the lower 5 Ghz channels, 250 milli-watts for the DFS channels,  and 1 watt for the upper 5 Ghz channels, including the channel 157 that you're currently on.  That higher power output will result in an increased operating range from the modem, higher signal levels, higher signal to noise ratios and a higher data rate as a result.  Yes, there might be competition for that channel or adjacent channels, but, with the higher power levels, you will probably find that you're better off.  I see that happen even when my neighbour is using the same upper channel range.  Switching to the lower channel range, with its reduced power levels, and channel competition results in lower data rates.  So, its back to the upper channel range ......

@Datalink 

The upper channel range makes such a big difference. Even though it's more congested in my area, I get much better speeds on the higher channels. 

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@gp-se  Was wondering of you have been able to make any progress in breaking the link with the Ignite WiFi Hub back-end.

Was doing some research on the Xfinity forum and found a tip: apparently you can regain control of your XB6 gateway but you need to be ready to perform the initial setup (with a computer/web browser) as soon as the gateway comes back online.

So, perform a pinhole factory reset, go IMMEDIATELY to http://10.0.0.1/ and log in with admin / password

You need to be VERY quick and perform the setup before the back-end restores the previous configuration.

gp-se
I'm an advisor
I have not made any progress, I reached out to communityhelps, they said there is nothing they can do. I’ll try the factory reset again later today and report back.

gp-se
I'm an advisor

@-G- wrote:

@gp-se  Was wondering of you have been able to make any progress in breaking the link with the Ignite WiFi Hub back-end.

Was doing some research on the Xfinity forum and found a tip: apparently you can regain control of your XB6 gateway but you need to be ready to perform the initial setup (with a computer/web browser) as soon as the gateway comes back online.

So, perform a pinhole factory reset, go IMMEDIATELY to http://10.0.0.1/ and log in with admin / password

You need to be VERY quick and perform the setup before the back-end restores the previous configuration.

@-G- 

I did a few factory resets, every time going immediately to 10.0.0.1, but I still couldn't get it to allow me to change the WiFi settings! Do you have a link to the post on the Xfinity forums that explains how they managed to get WiFi settigns back?

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@gp-se Sorry, I didn't bookmark that thread.  I will try to find it again.

HOWEVER, I just thought of something else that might break the link.  I remember that the Ignite WiFi Hub portal will not allow you to log in (and will display an error) when your Ignite gateway is in bridge mode.

So... perhaps this may work:

1. Connect a computer to the XB6 using an Ethernet cable.  (use Ethernet port 1; disconnect anything connected to port 2)
  2. Log into the XB6 and enable Bridge Mode.  (This will disable Wi-Fi and all of your devices will lose connectivity.
  3. Wait 5 minutes  (Hopefully, during this time, the link to the WiFi Hub will get severed.)
  4. Log into the XB6 again and disable Bridge Mode.
  5. When the XB6 comes back online, see if you have access to your Wi-Fi settings again.  If you do, change them while you still can.

gp-se
I'm an advisor

@-G- wrote:

@gp-se Sorry, I didn't bookmark that thread.  I will try to find it again.

HOWEVER, I just thought of something else that might break the link.  I remember that the Ignite WiFi Hub portal will not allow you to log in (and will display an error) when your Ignite gateway is in bridge mode.

So... perhaps this may work:

1. Connect a computer to the XB6 using an Ethernet cable.  (use Ethernet port 1; disconnect anything connected to port 2)
  2. Log into the XB6 and enable Bridge Mode.  (This will disable Wi-Fi and all of your devices will lose connectivity.
  3. Wait 5 minutes  (Hopefully, during this time, the link to the WiFi Hub will get severed.)
  4. Log into the XB6 again and disable Bridge Mode.
  5. When the XB6 comes back online, see if you have access to your Wi-Fi settings again.  If you do, change them while you still can.

@-G- 

I tried doing this, I was able to change WiFi settings again, however 5 minutes later I noticed the WiFi channel changed again. When I logged into the modem I saw its back to having Rogers managed all the settings. So there is no permanent work around 😞

Topic Stats