cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to set wifi channel on Technicolor XB6 ?

Yomofo
I've been here awhile

Is it still possible to access advanced settings and for example set the wifi channel on the ignite modem - Technicolor XB6? I have a feeling Rogers has completely disabled the ability to change advanced settings.

***Edited Labels***

55 REPLIES 55

Re: How to set wifi channel on Technicolor XB6 ?

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Yomofo  Welcome to the Rogers Community!

Yes, you can still manually assign channels on the XB6.  Go to http://10.0.0.1 and log into the modem as "admin".  Go to "Connection > Wi-Fi > Private Wi-Fi Network" and click on the "EDIT" button on the right.  Rather than "Auto", Select "Manual" and select the desired channel from the drop-down.  Click "Save".

Yomofo
I've been here awhile

So actually the method you suggested does NOT work and now I recall the technician that came to my house last summer to do the install did tell me that it was no longer possible to make changes ourselves. 

I do see the menus and options you stated but they cannot be "clicked" and at the top of the settings page there is a notice box that reads:

Wi-Fi Mode, Security Mode, Channel Selection, Channel Mode, and Channel Bandwidth are being managed automatically to help optimize your home Wi-Fi network and improve Wi-Fi coverage. To edit your Wi-Fi Network Name & Network password, please download the Rogers Ignite WiFi app or visit ignitewifi.rogers.com.

Of course, trying to make changes from the APP or the link provided takes you down a rabbit hole.... they cannot be changed their either.

cheers

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Yomofo  Wow, that's news to me... especially since I had just changed the channels on my XB6 yesterday only a few hours before my post.  I also don't use the Ignite WiFi Hub or the Ignite WiFi App to manage my XB6.

Yomofo
I've been here awhile
Hi Again, I don’t think this is something new as of yesterday. Can you think of anything else that might be preventing me from changing my settings? Or is it something on your end (special privileges?) allowing you to change yours ?

Cheers

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Hi.  I don't know what to suggest other than contacting your Concierge or Tech Support for assistance.

I normally run my XB6 in bridge mode and use my own router and Wi-Fi gear.  I also became an Ignite TV customer before the Ignite WiFi Hub came into existence and reported problems that started happening when the WiFi Hub portal went live.  It's possible that my account (and/or the services that I am subscribed to) might now be set up differently than others but I am not aware of anything being different since I signed up with the service.

Unable to change wireless channel on Model: CGM4140COM Vendor: Technicolor modem (ignite)

Hello,

I live in a densely populated area, and thus I'm used to having to do an RF scan to find the least occupied channel. I was surprised to find that there is a tool on the modem to do so which is a nice added feature.

I am not impressed however that upon investigation it appears you are unable to toggle the `manual` setting as it's grey'd out. This seemed odd and intentional, so I dug into the jquery on the modem and found this function event  bound to the setting:

```function() { //alert("hahaha");
if ($("#channel_automatic").is(":checked") || (MeshEnable == "true")) {
$("#channel_number").prop("disabled", true);
$("#channel_number").hide();
$("#auto_channel_number").show();
} else {
$("#channel_number").prop("disabled", false);
$("#channel_number").show();
$("#auto_channel_number").hide();
}
$("#auto_channel_number").prop("disabled", true);
}```

I did not pay for 1. To have my access restricted, and 2. To have clearly commented functions laughing at users for trying to toggle this option. Please fix this garbage ASAP.

Screenshot showing this: https://imgur.com/CUBlWjG

EDIT:

After taking a look at the php script it appears that if your running their mesh network then you are unable to change wifi channels. Will test to confirm, however the function comment definitely isn't professional at all.

UPDATE1:

Unable to find a way to disable the mesh network, removing all of the rogers installed pods and rebooting the modem didn't do anything.

I would think you would have to do a factory reset on the modem.  Should remove all config on the modem, including any pods, etc connected.

Not sure if it frees up the setting to be set though..

GeraldMC
I've been here awhile

Apparently if you have the Rogers "pods" (extenders) you can not change the channels, this is locked because the pods can not be changed (spent over an hour on the phone to tier1 support and this is what they found out, removing the pods will let you change the channels 

hope this helps

Gerald

tjay9
I've been here awhile
I tried removing the pods and the options are still greyed out.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@tjay9 wrote:
I tried removing the pods and the options are still greyed out.

It's not just the Pods.  Once you start using the Rogers mobile app (or the Ignite WiFi Hub web app) to manage your WiFi and XB6 gateway, you will lose access to some settings through the local Web admin UI and can then only make certain configuration changes through the mobile and web apps.

The only way (that I know of) to regain full access to the local web admin UI is to factory-reset the XB6 and stop using the mobile and web apps that caused the config options to get greyed/locked out.

tjay9
I've been here awhile

I have tried the factory reset followed by logging into just 10.0.0.1 but the options are still greyed out. I also dont have the ability to switch off band steering using the app and/or the local web admin UI

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@tjay9  That's weird.  I wonder if you are still logged in through one of the apps or if having Pods associated with your account is preventing you from regaining control.

Is there any particular problem that you are trying to fix at the moment?  Is auto channel selection causing problems or is band steering preventing a WiFi client device from connecting?

If you call Rogers Technical Support, they can disable the Ignite WiFi Hub backend and stop it from "taking over" and making configuration changes to your XB6 gateway (although this may require an escalation internally) but then you also will no longer be able to use Pods and you will be locked out from using the mobile and web apps that control and manage WiFi.

Don_Ca
I'm a senior contributor
Sad that it took over an hour with support for them to figure out you cannot change channels with the Pods.

LastBastion
I've been here awhile

It will not let me change any of the settings on the 2.4g or 5g wifi network configuration settings. Every option is greyed out and cannot be interacted with. It just tells me that it is automatically being managed and I can only change the ssid and password via rogers ignite wifi app or website. Why can i not manually change it?

Everything is greyed out and I cannot change any of the settings other than enable or disable. And at the top it says

"Wi-Fi Mode, Security Mode, Channel Selection, Channel Mode, and Channel Bandwidth are being managed automatically to help optimize your home Wi-Fi network and improve Wi-Fi coverage. To edit your Wi-Fi Network Name & Network password, please download the Rogers Ignite WiFi app or visit ignitewifi.rogers.com."

So why can't I access any of these settings?

If the installation tech set up the modem using an app, then you're locked out of certain modem settings and the only way to change them is thru the app or online.  That's the way that the system is designed to work.  

Apparently, if you want local control of the settings, you have to run a factory reset on the modem and then set it up from scratch by connecting directly to the modem and using the modem's user interface to set the various options.  At that point you can't ever use the app or online controls to change any of the settings, or you will possibly end up in the same situation.  

@LastBastion  As soon as you use the Ignite WiFi app to manage any part of your Wi-Fi installation, you will lose the ability to make some Wi-Fi changes directly on the modem, but you can still make some changes though either the mobile app or through the Ignite WiFi Hub web portal.

As soon as you install Pods to extend your Wi-Fi coverage, you will completely lose access to some settings.  Part of the WiFi mesh optimization process not only optimizes the mesh topology on an ongoing basis but the channel assignments as well.  Many other Wi-Fi mesh solutions also make it difficult or impossible for the end-user to assign Wi-Fi channels, so this restriction (or feature, depending on your viewpoint) is not unique to Rogers Ignite.

madatapps
I've been around

Hi i would like to manage my settings again over the 10.0.0.1 router interface. At the moment i can’t because the rogers app is controlling the settings. does anyone know how to release its control over the router settings

Don_Ca
I'm a senior contributor
Apparently, but not always, you can reset to factory defaults and set up again and you can do it. But do not start the app again, it will take over.

Yxin
I've been around

My router XB-6 is missing 'Channel Selection' function, my neighbor uses the same channel with me and impact both of us. I need to select channel manually.

I used to have this function few days ago, I tried to re-install APP, reboot router, didn't work, please bring this function back, thanks.

Don_Ca
I'm a senior contributor
You lose the option to set the channel when you use the phone app. As suggested above, reset the modem to factory defaults and do not use the phone app.
Topic Stats