How to set wifi channel on Technicolor XB6 ?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

How to set wifi channel on Technicolor XB6 ?

Is it still possible to access advanced settings and for example set the wifi channel on the ignite modem - Technicolor XB6? I have a feeling Rogers has completely disabled the ability to change advanced settings.

***Edited Labels***

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: How to set wifi channel on Technicolor XB6 ?

@Yomofo  Welcome to the Rogers Community!

Yes, you can still manually assign channels on the XB6.  Go to http://10.0.0.1 and log into the modem as "admin".  Go to "Connection > Wi-Fi > Private Wi-Fi Network" and click on the "EDIT" button on the right.  Rather than "Auto", Select "Manual" and select the desired channel from the drop-down.  Click "Save".

I've Been Here Awhile

So actually the method you suggested does NOT work and now I recall the technician that came to my house last summer to do the install did tell me that it was no longer possible to make changes ourselves. 

I do see the menus and options you stated but they cannot be "clicked" and at the top of the settings page there is a notice box that reads:

Wi-Fi Mode, Security Mode, Channel Selection, Channel Mode, and Channel Bandwidth are being managed automatically to help optimize your home Wi-Fi network and improve Wi-Fi coverage. To edit your Wi-Fi Network Name & Network password, please download the Rogers Ignite WiFi app or visit ignitewifi.rogers.com.

Of course, trying to make changes from the APP or the link provided takes you down a rabbit hole.... they cannot be changed their either.

cheers

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Yomofo  Wow, that's news to me... especially since I had just changed the channels on my XB6 yesterday only a few hours before my post.  I also don't use the Ignite WiFi Hub or the Ignite WiFi App to manage my XB6.

I've Been Here Awhile

Hi Again, I don’t think this is something new as of yesterday. Can you think of anything else that might be preventing me from changing my settings? Or is it something on your end (special privileges?) allowing you to change yours ?

Cheers
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Hi.  I don't know what to suggest other than contacting your Concierge or Tech Support for assistance.

I normally run my XB6 in bridge mode and use my own router and Wi-Fi gear.  I also became an Ignite TV customer before the Ignite WiFi Hub came into existence and reported problems that started happening when the WiFi Hub portal went live.  It's possible that my account (and/or the services that I am subscribed to) might now be set up differently than others but I am not aware of anything being different since I signed up with the service.

I've Been Around

Unable to change wireless channel on Model: CGM4140COM Vendor: Technicolor modem (ignite)

Hello,

I live in a densely populated area, and thus I'm used to having to do an RF scan to find the least occupied channel. I was surprised to find that there is a tool on the modem to do so which is a nice added feature.

I am not impressed however that upon investigation it appears you are unable to toggle the `manual` setting as it's grey'd out. This seemed odd and intentional, so I dug into the jquery on the modem and found this function event  bound to the setting:

```function() { //alert("hahaha");
if ($("#channel_automatic").is(":checked") || (MeshEnable == "true")) {
$("#channel_number").prop("disabled", true);
$("#channel_number").hide();
$("#auto_channel_number").show();
} else {
$("#channel_number").prop("disabled", false);
$("#channel_number").show();
$("#auto_channel_number").hide();
}
$("#auto_channel_number").prop("disabled", true);
}```

I did not pay for 1. To have my access restricted, and 2. To have clearly commented functions laughing at users for trying to toggle this option. Please fix this garbage ASAP.

Screenshot showing this: https://imgur.com/CUBlWjG

EDIT:

After taking a look at the php script it appears that if your running their mesh network then you are unable to change wifi channels. Will test to confirm, however the function comment definitely isn't professional at all.

UPDATE1:

Unable to find a way to disable the mesh network, removing all of the rogers installed pods and rebooting the modem didn't do anything.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I would think you would have to do a factory reset on the modem.  Should remove all config on the modem, including any pods, etc connected.

Not sure if it frees up the setting to be set though..

I've Been Here Awhile

Apparently if you have the Rogers "pods" (extenders) you can not change the channels, this is locked because the pods can not be changed (spent over an hour on the phone to tier1 support and this is what they found out, removing the pods will let you change the channels 

hope this helps

Gerald