We're so disappointed to hear that your experience with Ignite TV hasn't been too pleasant. 😔
I can understand your concerns with wanting to ensure your grandchildren are not inadvertently subjected to inappropriate content when visiting. I wouldn't want that either. Although there is not yet a way to permanently set your TV to a specific channel upon startup, we do have a some options in our Parental Settings that could be useful.
Both the Ignite TV Purchase PIN and TV Locks PIN are features of the Ignite TV parental controls.
The Locks PIN (also known as Parental Controls PIN)– if set to Yes – allows customers to restrict certain content and browse/search capabilities to safeguard their child’s entertainment experience.
1. Press the Rogers button on your voice remote control.
2. Use arrow buttons to highlight and select Settings. Press Ok.
3. Use the arrow buttons to highlight and select Parental Controls. Press Ok.
4. Use the arrow buttons to highlight and select Parental Control PIN. Press OK to select On.
5. When prompted, enter a four-digit Locks PIN of your choosing.
6. When prompted again, verify and re-enter your Locks PIN one more time. Your Parental Control PIN is now set.
7. Press Exit to return to standard TV viewing.
The Purchase PIN is required to purchase On Demand content, only if the Purchase Protection feature turned on.
1. Press the Rogers button on your remote control.
2. Use the arrow buttons to highlight and select Settings. Press Ok.
3. Use the arrow buttons to highlight and select Purchase PIN. Press Ok.
4. Toggle the Purchase PIN On or Off.
5. After turning the Purchase PIN option On, enter the new Purchase PIN in the 'Enter PIN' section of the Create a Purchase PIN window.
6. Verify and re-enter your Purchase PIN number.
7. Press Exit to return to standard TV viewing. Or, press the Last / Back arrow button to return to the Settings menu.
This answer is about as useful as an answer from "virtual assistant" Anna, which is to say not helpful at all. Anna is nothing more than a glorified FAQ. This answer implies that the feature is there as long as you do it manually.
I hope the ability to set a startup channel will be added at some point, but given the age of the original post I will not be holding my breath.
I think the reason this feature doesn’t exist is because the receiver never actually turns off. It just goes to a screensaver mode which you just don’t see when your tv is off. I suppose they could implement a feature where it always goes to a specific channel when it comes out of the screensaver mode.