How to Connect STB to new SSID?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SS76
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: How to Connect STB to new SSID?

To clarify, I first set my modem to bridge, however as I was still seeing the old network, I thought maybe somehow the modem WiFi was still active, so I disabled the bridge, and the went into the WiFi settings to manually disable but even after doing this, and putting the modem back into bridge mode (which is simply a toggle you can't mess up), the old network name was still available (did not show as an unknown network btw)

I'll give you suggestion a try tomorrow. Thanks
ColdGranite
I Plan to Stick Around

@SS76 wrote:
To clarify, I first set my modem to bridge, however as I was still seeing the old network, I thought maybe somehow the modem WiFi was still active, so I disabled the bridge, and the went into the WiFi settings to manually disable but even after doing this, and putting the modem back into bridge mode (which is simply a toggle you can't mess up), the old network name was still available (did not show as an unknown network btw)

I'll give you suggestion a try tomorrow. Thanks

One other thing to try:

Pull the plug on the gateway XB6 (and see if the "old wifi" is still active.  If so, then its not coming from the XB6.)

With the XB6 unpowered, boot up the tv box(es).  and see if they will connect (or ask for connection) to your own wifi THEN.  (Remember, it will look like nothing is happening for a long time, as described before... )

macdted
I've Been Around

Thank you, worked for me to connect my STB to my Deco Mesh. It really should be an option in the setup screen on the Set Top Box.

Is there a list of the options in diagnostic mode after you do the 3 second exit and down down?

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@macdted wrote:

Thank you, worked for me to connect my STB to my Deco Mesh. It really should be an option in the setup screen on the Set Top Box.

Is there a list of the options in diagnostic mode after you do the 3 second exit and down down?

As far as I know, there isn't any easier way to connect to the 3rd-party Wi-Fi network.  Another option is to connect the set-top box to a Wi-Fi network using WPS, using the button on the bottom of the STB.

Keep in mind that in a typical Rogers-supported configuration, the Ignite TV set-top box automagically connects to Wi-Fi on the Ignite gateway, without any action required by the end-user.  Rogers (and Comcast) didn't intend for their users to connect Ignite TV to third-party equipment, and making the Wi-Fi network connection option available in settings could result in users accidentally disconnecting their set-top box from Wi-Fi.

ColdGranite
I Plan to Stick Around

@-G- wrote:

Keep in mind that in a typical Rogers-supported configuration, the Ignite TV set-top box automagically connects to Wi-Fi on the Ignite gateway, without any action required by the end-user.  

Is there really any difference whether the WIFI is being provide by the Gateway, or by another router??  I don't see it.

There is always SOME user-action required:   somebody has to set (and to provide) the WIFI password, for example, no matter which router.

After that, the TV set-top box "automatically connects" only to its previous connection, whatever it is.

Unless changed with the ROGERS(3 secs) - down -down - 9434 sequence and procedure.... in which case it "automatically connects" to the newly specified SSID.

????

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@ColdGranite wrote:
Is there really any difference whether the WIFI is being provide by the Gateway, or by another router??  I don't see it.

It all depends on the home, the options that you have available for placing your Ignite gateway, and your technical requirements.  I currently run Ignite TV over my own network gear and use business-grade Wi-Fi access points.  Other family members use the XB6 gateway and nothing else.  Previously, I ran Ignite TV on a 3rd-party consumer-grade Wi-Fi mesh.

Wi-Fi on Rogers-supplied and Rogers-supported equipment should work perfectly fine for most people, assuming that it has been installed correctly.  I also recommend the "all-Rogers" solution because it is easy to manage and the Ignite components were designed to work together seamlessly.