How to Connect STB to new SSID?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply
SS76
I Plan to Stick Around
Posts: 9

Re: How to Connect STB to new SSID?

So I put my modem out of bridge mode and just manually disabled both Wi-Fi bands. Then I put it back in bridge mode and restarted my router as is normal to keep it optimized. Once the router was completely restarted, all my devices reconnected to my router's Wi-Fi except for my setup box. The other weird thing is that I still see my old Wi-Fi network with full bars even though I've disabled it and put my modem into bridge mode. Is it possible that the setup box is still looking for the old SSID and if so, how do I stop that from happening?
-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
Posts: 1,752

Re: How to Connect STB to new SSID?


@SS76 wrote:
Is it possible that the setup box is still looking for the old SSID and if so, how do I stop that from happening?

I get the feeling that the set-top box's WiFi behaviour has changed over time.  The really frustrating thing is that nothing about the Ignite TV equipment's internal workings are documented anywhere that is available to us.

 

Comcast designed the modem and set-top boxes to work together seamlessly.  To add a new set-top box, all that you need to do is take it out of the box and plug it in.  The XB6 helps the set-top box discover and connect to your internal WiFi network automatically.

 

In my current setup, I connected all of my set-top boxes to the XB6 gateway, as described above, the way that they were meant to be installed.  I had previously also configured the same WiFi credentials (as what was configured into the XB6) into my own Wi-Fi Access Points.  To switch over to my network equipment, I simply put the XB6 into bridge mode, powered up my equipment, rebooted the set-top boxes, and everything continued to "just work".



ColdGranite
I Plan to Stick Around
Posts: 160

Re: How to Connect STB to new SSID?


@SS76 wrote:
So I put my modem out of bridge mode and just manually disabled both Wi-Fi bands. Then I put it back in bridge mode and restarted my router as is normal to keep it optimized. Once the router was completely restarted, all my devices reconnected to my router's Wi-Fi except for my setup box. 

Are you saying that one TV box is "not connecting" because it looks like it is looking for a non-existing SSID???

 

IF SO... don't forget that it will take a LONG TIME, maybe 5 minutes or more, but eventually it will time out and ask you for the SSID/password.

SS76
I Plan to Stick Around
Posts: 9

Re: How to Connect STB to new SSID?

That's just a guess, because when I manually connect to the router Wi-Fi, it connects without issue.
But I just tried to do was disable broadcasting the SSID from the Rogers modem because even with Wi-Fi disabled, it still shows. Even after doing this, the old SSID that was configured originally still shows up and my list of available networks and my only guess as to why the set top box is failing to connect to my new SSID network after rebooting the router, is that it must be looking for the old Network which is not going to work as the modem is bridged. I don't know what else I could do
-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
Posts: 1,752

Re: How to Connect STB to new SSID?

@SS76  Keep in mind that the XB6 is a different animal than the Hitron CODA gateways.  Comcast designed the XB6 to be the Hub for a "Connected Home".  It can provide connectivity for IoT devices and it also has a bunch of services that continue running even when Bridge Mode is enabled.  Even with WiFi disabled or in Bridge Mode, the XB6 will continue to have multiple hidden WiFi networks active, on both the 2.4 and 5 GHz bands; they support other services that are still running on the XB6.

 

The Xi6 set-top boxes were also designed to connect to the XB6.  Don't expect them to behave like an Apple TV or Roku streaming box.



ColdGranite
I Plan to Stick Around
Posts: 160

Re: How to Connect STB to new SSID?


@-G- wrote:

@SS76  Keep in mind that the XB6 is a different animal than the Hitron CODA gateways.  Comcast designed the XB6 to be the Hub for a "Connected Home".  It can provide connectivity for IoT devices and it also has a bunch of services that continue running even when Bridge Mode is enabled.  Even with WiFi disabled or in Bridge Mode, the XB6 will continue to have multiple hidden WiFi networks active, on both the 2.4 and 5 GHz bands; they support other services that are still running on the XB6.

 

The Xi6 set-top boxes were also designed to connect to the XB6.  Don't expect them to behave like an Apple TV or Roku streaming box.


When you "bridge" the XB6, all those hidden WIFI networks are shown as "network name unavailable" when you do a wifi scan of the house.   They should not be relevant for the TV boxes if the tv-box has been "connected" to a specific SSID

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
Posts: 1,752

Re: How to Connect STB to new SSID?

@ColdGranite  I was merely trying to explain why those hidden SSIDs are there.

 

One of those hidden SSIDs is also associated with an internal service that helps the Ignite set-top box discover and connect to the WiFi SSID that is configured in the XB6.  I'm wondering if the set-top box is connecting to that same service when it boots up or connects to WiFi, and if it runs into problems when the only available WiFi networks are different from the one that is configured in the XB6.



ColdGranite
I Plan to Stick Around
Posts: 160

Re: How to Connect STB to new SSID?


@-G- wrote:

@ColdGranite  I was merely trying to explain why those hidden SSIDs are there.

 

One of those hidden SSIDs is also associated with an internal service that helps the Ignite set-top box discover and connect to the WiFi SSID that is configured in the XB6.  


How would that explain that a tv box is quite willing and able to connect to MY OWN router with my router's SSID... in fact it actually connects to an plain vanilla EXTENDER for that router?  That particular box is so far away from the XB6 that I doubt it would see it (without pods), even if wifi were enabled on the XB6.

 

  

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
Posts: 1,752

Re: How to Connect STB to new SSID?


@ColdGranite wrote:

How would that explain that a tv box is quite willing and able to connect to MY OWN router with my router's SSID... in fact it actually connects to an plain vanilla EXTENDER for that router?  That particular box is so far away from the XB6 that I doubt it would see it (without pods), even if wifi were enabled on the XB6.  


The Ignite set-top box connects to my own WiFi network just fine as well.  I'm just postulating why @SS76  might be experiencing difficulties and why you need to jump through hoops from time to time to get the STB to connect to your equipment.



ColdGranite
I Plan to Stick Around
Posts: 160

Re: How to Connect STB to new SSID?

@SS76 wrote:
That's just a guess, because when I manually connect to the router Wi-Fi, it connects without issue.
But I just tried to do was disable broadcasting the SSID from the Rogers modem because even with Wi-Fi disabled, it still shows. Even after doing this, the old SSID that was configured originally still shows up and my list of available networks and my only guess as to why the set top box is failing to connect to my new SSID network after rebooting the router, is that it must be looking for the old Network which is not going to work as the modem is bridged. I don't know what else I could do

Something here does not compute.  You say "I ... tried to ... disable broadcasting the SSID"... But if you are in "BRIDGE" mode, you do not have access to the wifi settings... which makes me ask, did you truly enable "bridge" mode on the XB6?

 

When you have your XB6 in bridge mode, its SSIDs should not show.  (Its "internal" wifi networks show up in a wifi scan as "unknown network".)

 

What else can you do?   

Well, try disabling wifi on ALL the routers, then booting up the box.  When it cannot find any SSID to connect with, it may ask, as it did for me... as I said before, it takes a long time to come up... 5 minutes or more, you have to wait.

Not sure how to proceed after that... presumably restore wifi on your router, and you may be able to have the box refresh the list of available SSIDs, or perhaps the box will refresh the list itself... When I was setting up, I managed to get it to that point where it asked me, but I don't recall if there was a refresh function.