How do you like Ignite TV compared to Digital Cable?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kgrosvold
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: How do you like Ignite TV compared to Digital Cable?

I believe that I had a conversation with a Roger's rep and was told that once I switched to Ignite, I could not switch back to digital.

The other gripe is that since the same infrastructure is feeding both internet and TV shouldn't the package prices be cheaper, rather then same or more expensive?

Kev

OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

@kgrosvold wrote:

I believe that I had a conversation with a Roger's rep and was told that once I switched to Ignite, I could not switch back to digital.

I do believe that is Rogers "policy". But technically it's not impossible. But you won't be able to get back any grandfathered, obsolete plan you had. It depends how badly Rogers wants to keep you as a customer until digital cable is gone and everyone has to switch to Ignite or leave.

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
schmidtp
I Plan to Stick Around

What is intersting to me in your statement is that once gone, digital cable is gone.... Where does it go?
My neighbor has resisted and uses the old system and I am using Ignite. Both cables come out of the same box in his front yard. The only difference between us is the set top box.
So, in my mind, the technology is in the modem and set top box and it is exactly as you say, either switch or leave.
-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@schmidtp wrote:
What is intersting to me in your statement is that once gone, digital cable is gone.... Where does it go?
My neighbor has resisted and uses the old system and I am using Ignite. Both cables come out of the same box in his front yard. The only difference between us is the set top box.
So, in my mind, the technology is in the modem and set top box and it is exactly as you say, either switch or leave.

All of the old equipment, that once supported Digital TV, will get decommissioned and at some point, likely sooner than later, there will literally be no "Digital TV" signal left on the coax for any legacy set-top boxes to decode.

That coax cable carries thousands of signals on multiple frequency bands -- channels -- some of which are allocated for Digital TV, others for upstream and downstream Internet, and other special-purpose channels.  So... it is the same cable but Ignite TV is basically streamed through your Internet modem whereas the Digital TV set-top boxes decode a separate set of TV signals on the coax cable.

Those "separate set of TV signals" are received from the original provider, encoded and broadcast by old, aging equipment, that reached end-of-sale years ago and much of which has also reached end-of-support.  All that old equipment is also consuming power, rack space and floor space in Rogers' facilities, along with servers for management, provisioning, billing, etc.  All but the newest 4k set-top boxes have also reached end-of-life and can no longer be replaced when they break.

Ignite TV is based on different technology and does not use any of legacy Digital TV infrastructure.  All that old (and now redundant) infrastructure is getting more and more expensive to support and is also now serving fewer and fewer customers, so it makes business sense to get rid of it as soon as possible.

Once the Digital TV infrastructure gets shut down and literally goes away, it will free up spectrum on the coax cable (channels -- bandwidth) that can then be repurposed.  Or, better yet, once ALL Rogers services become IP-based and can be delivered through a cable modem using Internet technologies, the coax and legacy Cable Internet technologies can then also eventually be retired and replaced by either new optical fibre networks or next-generation wireless networks.

schmidtp
I Plan to Stick Around

Key words "All of the old equipment, that once supported Digital TV, will get decommissioned ". Thing is, I still have coax cable into my house and from the outside connection to the modem is also coax cable.
Bottom line is Rogers is changing it's set top boxes to wireless and we (like the Borg say) must comply.
-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Cars also replaced the horse and carriage for most people.

schmidtp
I Plan to Stick Around

Being an apologist for Rogers? The topic is "How do you like Ignite TV compared to Digital Cable? " and this thread along with many others threads and many many posts are about folks having issues.
No one got rid of the horses when the cars came. People had many issues with their cars but were able to return to their horses.
-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@schmidtp wrote:
Being an apologist for Rogers?

No, but I have spent most of my career leading large transformation projects and as an evangelist of next-generation technologies, including IPTV and next-generation networks.  I understand what they are going through and know the daunting work that Rogers will have ahead of them... and I also completely understand the issues and frustration that customers and end-users can face in such times as well.

homegrownIP
I've Been Around

@57 

Are you sure recordings don't play back in surround sound?  I find that hard to believe.  Could it be your system set up?

Circus_boi
I Plan to Stick Around

Sorry if this is not the right forum.  I am contemplating moving up to Ignite TV/Internet (mostly because Rogers Ambassador is offering a better deal than legacy Digital TV/Internet.  As I try to weigh the pros vs. cons (other than costs), I have read many of these pages.  My question is more basic.....

Are the new Rogers Ignite/Gateway modems better these days that people generally don't need to both putting them in bridge and using a 3rd party router to ensure good wifi coverage? For a 1,500 to 2,000 sq. ft. home, for example?

Given that Ignite TV is wifi-based, and Rogers won't support if you connect Ignite TV through a 3rd party router, am wondering if I should just dispense with a router and use the Rogers Ignite/Gateway model for wifi also?

Separately, I have been hearing that there is an XB7 modem (supporting wifi6) now?  If I am going to move to Ignite, I should insist on the XB7 modem, right?

Thanks for any insight/assistance!!