How do you like Ignite TV compared to Digital Cable?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
senordd
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: How do you like Ignite TV compared to Digital Cable?

I think it depends on where you live. I’ve had it for 2 years now and it’s far better than the old digital cable. The only thing about it is that my “live” tv is actually about 30 secs behind due to the buffering of IPTV.

DaveRobbins100
I've Been Around

I am contemplating going from digital to ignite tv. My problem is I have a 77 inch OLED tv which has a screen which is 40% larger than a 65 inch so imperfections in picture quality are obvious. The current picture quality for channels such as Global is excellent on Digital cable. I have a:b’d from cable to over the air and sometimes the over the air is over saturated and therefore the cable picture is sometimes superior and at worst similar. I also have Bell Fibe tv and since their channels are limited to 720p and 5 Mb/s the picture quality is noticeably inferior to Digital cable. My question is will I lose picture quality by moving to Ignite and will the picture quality be similar to Fibe?

Gtheman
I Plan to Stick Around

I would not if I were you. Ignite is less intuitive, less flexible, less usable in fact. The GUI is less user friendly. The channel line-up for example does not scroll page by page or channel by channel as you prefer, and the channel you are currently watching does NOT appear in the top right corner as you scroll.  I see zero difference in the quality of the picture on my 43" Sony. No difference at all with picture Ignite vs. Digital. Most importantly, is the constant, twice weekly reboots of either the set top box, or the modem or both. Choppy signal as well of course.

The channel line up has no relevance because the channel numbers are different on Ignite.

I could go on but you get the idea. I would not change if I were you, but you will NOT be able to go back to digital is you do. 

Beware.

toolcubed
I'm a Senior Contributor

I disagree with most of what was mentioned above. If the Rogers network in your area is working well and your in-home network (WiFi etc) is also working well, then Ignite TV will also work well. I haven’t had any issues specific to Ignite since I switched. My in-home network has always been rock solid but I also use my own 3rd party network gear. And Rogers upgraded their infrastructure in my neighbourhood approx 3 years ago. If you need to reboot the Ignite gateway or tv boxes that often, then there’s definitely something wrong with the setup, in-home network, Rogers network in the area, or any combination of these.

I love the Ignite user interface, guide, layout, and all-in-one voice remote. I didn’t think I’d use or like the voice functionality but the entire family uses it frequently and it’s amazing.

Picture quality on Ignite is better than Digital. My wife (a total non-techie that doesn’t care much for this stuff) noticed it right away after we switched…she was watching one of her shows and said “wow, the picture is so clear!” Streams are encoded at 10Mbps 1080p. There’s also noticeably less compression with Ignite compared to Digital.

I was very skeptical of the switch when I was still on Digital. Only regret I have now is that I didn’t switch sooner. If I was given the option now between Ignite and Digital, I wouldn’t think twice and would choose Ignite hands down.
MS3
I've Been Here Awhile

Been a digital cable subscriber with Rogers since the beginning. I have 8300HD PVR x 3 and the smaller grey HD box (non pvr) x 2. 

As with most still under legacy cable, I was offered a lower price for Ignite TV& Internet package. It made financial sense for me since my legacy plan went up $30 due to expiring promos, and even spending hours on the phone with retention, I could not make anyone give me additional discounts to help me get me down to my original monthly cost. So after more hours getting them to sweeten the deal to have my jump into ignite, I went for it. My appointment is set for this weekend but now I am thinking more and more that I shouldn't do it. After reading all the posts here about this topic, I figured that...

1) I dont want to brick my 5 boxes that I paid a lot for when it was in its prime. (even though I know it is absolutely painful to use ROD with them)

2) I dont want to use up wifi/data just to watch tv. Imagine all those extra signals going through our brains! lol

3) Cable is so stable and not subject to wifi/network issues.

4) My young ones already know how to use the old set up. (3 & 6 yo)

5) I dont want to lose the ability to store shows FOR AS LONG AS I WANT locally. 

What I like about ignite is the talk into remote feature. The lower price. The user interface. 

I was in the Roger's store recently, and i tried to turn the box off and on again just to see how long it takes to boot up. With cable its instant.  I was shocked to see that I cant even power down without having to do so many steps to do it! WTH! I wish there was a way I can revert back to digital if I wasnt happy with IGNITE. Otherwise, I would have no problems giving it a try. But the fact that I would lose cable forever, doesnt sit well with me. 

Anyone on legacy digital able to get promo discounts? I will call one more time, if nothing can be done, I am just gonna cut the cable all together. I am tired of calling Rogers every year to renegotiate. Tired of having features being taken away while costs keep going up. Just tired. After Oct 10 I cant even use Anyplace TV anymore. I use it a lot when I am not home. With this gone, no point of keeping my subscription. I wish Rogers did things for loyal long time customers instead of being essential forced to switch even though I have no need to. Out with the old and in with the new (customers). 

jjjjy7
I Plan to Stick Around

@toolcubed   I would disagree with your comment that if the network and wi-fi are working well, Ignite TV will also work well.  I have great wi-fi and no (major) network issues... but have had many issues with Ignite TV.  99% of them relate to the set top boxes.  I have had every box in my house replaced at least three times over the last 2 plus years. 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@jjjjy7 wrote:

... but have had many issues with Ignite TV.  99% of them relate to the set top boxes.  I have had every box in my house replaced at least three times over the last 2 plus years. 

It is highly unlikely that this many boxes had problems.  There are simply not that many bad boxes.  I strongly suggest that you have another issue in your neighbourhood (signal?) or home (WiFi?), which may have come up after switching, or which didn't manifest itself with Legacy Digital Cable.

As with Digital Cable, a new IgniteTV box may temporarily work because of a borderline signal (to the home or WiFi), but it is not a permanent solution.

jjjjy7
I Plan to Stick Around

@57   I can guarantee you it was the STBs.   Initially they were all replaced because they froze - I believe Rogers then switched to a new manufacturer.  And Its always one box at a time that causes issues and needs to be replaced.  

Sailorman
I Plan to Stick Around

This pretty well sums up my feelings as well. I’m a customer who has given Rogers $000’s over many years.  

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@MS3  You are going to get a wide range of reactions from people.  Some regret the switch to Ignite TV; others regret not switching sooner.  I have been a happy Ignite TV customer for the past 2+ years.

My appointment is set for this weekend but now I am thinking more and more that I shouldn't do it. After reading all the posts here about this topic, I figured that...

1) I dont want to brick my 5 boxes that I paid a lot for when it was in its prime. (even though I know it is absolutely painful to use ROD with them)

3) Cable is so stable and not subject to wifi/network issues.

4) My young ones already know how to use the old set up. (3 & 6 yo)

5) I dont want to lose the ability to store shows FOR AS LONG AS I WANT locally. 

Assuming that your Ignite TV service works well, you will still at some point (almost certainly) miss not having a local PVR in your home.  With the Cloud PVR, you only get 200 hours of storage and recordings will disappear after one year.  If you like to record lots of programs, you will find yourself constantly going through your Recorded Programs list looking for content to erase to make room for new recordings.

The biggest limitation, compared to a local PVR, is that if you want to record a program in its entirety, you must do so in advance.  You cannot watch the first 10 minutes of a show, decide that you want to record it, and then simply press Record; recording in the cloud starts at the point where you press Record, and will not save those first 10 minutes.

The biggest advantage to the cloud PVR is that you can watch recorded content on any set-top box, or on a mobile device outside your home.  You can also schedule a program to record at any time, from anywhere, through the Ignite TV app.  You also will not have to worry about your PVR dying and losing all recorded content.

Ignite TV is also great for watching On-demand content, and Ignite TV is also great when it comes to finding program content.  It does a great job of unifying what is available with broadcast TV with content that is available on streaming services.

2) I dont want to use up wifi/data just to watch tv. Imagine all those extra signals going through our brains! lol 

Having good Wi-Fi is a necessity these days, and Ignite TV only uses approximately 10 Mb/s of bandwidth for an HD stream.  This is comparable to the bandwidth used by other streaming services.

Since the set-top boxes do not require a coax connection, you are also free to place your TV anywhere.

I was in the Roger's store recently, and i tried to turn the box off and on again just to see how long it takes to boot up. With cable its instant.  I was shocked to see that I cant even power down without having to do so many steps to do it! WTH! I wish there was a way I can revert back to digital if I wasnt happy with IGNITE. Otherwise, I would have no problems giving it a try. But the fact that I would lose cable forever, doesnt sit well with me. 

I have my TVs and set-top boxes set up such that when I turn the TV off, the set-top box gets turned off as well.  (This is done through HDMI CEC.)

Anyone on legacy digital able to get promo discounts? I will call one more time, if nothing can be done, I am just gonna cut the cable all together. I am tired of calling Rogers every year to renegotiate. Tired of having features being taken away while costs keep going up. Just tired. After Oct 10 I cant even use Anyplace TV anymore. I use it a lot when I am not home. With this gone, no point of keeping my subscription. I wish Rogers did things for loyal long time customers instead of being essential forced to switch even though I have no need to. Out with the old and in with the new (customers). 

I don't think that Rogers is giving any more loyalty discounts for any legacy TV, Internet or Home Phone services, not even to their most loyal long-time customers.

I also think that Rogers should announce an end-date for Digital TV.  At least that way, Digital TV customers can come to terms with making a switch, knowing that a decision will have to be made by a certain time.

The world is also moving to a model where all services get delivered over an Internet connection.  Digital TV has become obsolete and the technology that delivers it has reached end-of-life.  Next-generation Fibre-to-the-Home technologies will not even be capable or carrying the legacy Rogers services.  At some point, Digital TV will need to be retired.