cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hiding SSID on Ignite TV modem/router

rookie8155
I plan to stick around

Is it possible to hide SSID on Rogers Ignite modem? As per my knowledge, the only way to hide it is by putting it in bridge mode which disables it.

*Added Labels*

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Hiding SSID on Ignite TV modem/router

JML7425
I plan to stick around

There is a option to not broadcast the SSID in wifi settings for both 2.4 and 5 ghzD04B8A74-2D26-413F-BD07-5B46E28EBBA5.jpeg

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@rookie8155 wrote:

Is it possible to hide SSID on Rogers Ignite modem? As per my knowledge, the only way to hide it is by putting it in bridge mode which disables it.

By enabling Bridge Mode on the XB6, you are disabling the private Wi-Fi network (which you can also do in Gateway mode) as well as disabling the router and firewall functions that protect your internal network.

If you are hoping to leave Wi-Fi enabled and disable SSID broadcasts, you can't do that on the XB6.  Is there any reason why you would want to configure a hidden network?  There's no security benefit to doing so and there are even some downsides.

JML7425
I plan to stick around

There is a option to not broadcast the SSID in wifi settings for both 2.4 and 5 ghzD04B8A74-2D26-413F-BD07-5B46E28EBBA5.jpeg

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@rookie8155  Sorry, I was mistaken.  I just double-checked this on my Technicolor XB6 and there IS an option to disable (unheck) "Broadcast Network Name (SSID)" ; press the EDIT button fot the 2.4 or 5 GHz bands and the option is at the bottom of the settings page.

I can't check whether or not having Pods installed disables or removes this option.

rookie8155
I plan to stick around
Thanks to both of you for finding time to find the resolution.

JRandell
I plan to stick around

when I log into my router 10.0.0.1  All my wifi settings are greyed out and I cannot change them?  Am I doing something wrong?

Hello @JRandell,

Thanks for your post! 

I'm hoping that one of our awesome Resident Experts will be able to assist you with this one! I'll tag them in this post, but let's give them a bit more time to weigh-in! 😊

@-G-

@Gdkitty

@Datalink

Cheers,

RogersLaura

@JRandell  I may not be the best person to answer this.  I do know that if you use the Rogers apps to manage Wi-Fi, this will grey out some settings in the UI when you log into the router directly.  If you have the Ignite Pods installed, this also causes some settings to get disabled; with Pods, I think that you need to have Band Steering enabled so you cannot have separate SSIDs for the 2.4/5 GHz bands and I am also pretty sure that you cannot disable SSID broadcasts either.

I cannot answer this with 100% confidence because I am not running a normal/standard installation.   I do not have any Pods installed and I also do not use the apps to manage any aspects of my installation as I am currently using a 3rd-party Wi-Fi mesh in my home.

JRandell
I plan to stick around

Thanks for the reply.  With or without the pods, all wifi settings in my router are greyed out. I can change ssid and passwords on ignites website/app, but as for channel, channel selection, mode, security mode, channel bandwidth etc., I have no control over them.  Moca is disabled.  Bridge mode is disabled as I only use the Rogers router/modem and wireless networks for both 2.4 / 5g are enabled.  I'm used to having full control over my router settings, and as such this is annoying to say the least for me.  It's been this way since I switched to ignite and have even had the router replaced two weeks ago, but still have no access to the wifi settings.  Is this something Rogers is doing to prevent less experienced people from tampering with their equipment?  Frustrating to say the least.  😞

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@JRandell  Are you using the Rogers mobile app or the WiFi Hub web portal to manage your Wi-Fi?  These tools allow you to manage your Ignite gateway while you are at home or away, and they work by making configuration changes centrally and then pushing them to your modem.  Once you start using these tools, you lose the ability to make many configuration changes locally.

JRandell
I plan to stick around

So, because I use the app and web portal, my wifi router settings are greyed out?  So I don't have full control over any of my wifi settings in my router such as channel selection, channel bandwidth etc. ?

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@JRandell  Yes, apparently you do lose the ability to make some configuration changes once you start using the web and mobile apps.  I don't think that restricting (or breaking) any functionality was intentional but the only ones who can say for sure are the people who were involved in designing and implementing the apps and the overall solution.  If you send a PM to @CommunityHelps  they may be able to make some inquiries on your behalf and get some answers from the Product Managers.

Other users have reported that you can go back to defaults but I think that it requires that you log out of the the apps (and stop using them altogether) and perform a complete factory reset on the XB6 gateway.

JRandell
I plan to stick around

Thank you for your help, but I think I will just leave it alone for now.  If it ain't broke, don't fix it.  🙂

Topic Stats
  • 12 replies
  • 6 Likes
  • 5 in conversation