HP Printer loses connection the next day after joining the network

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Morrison_Clan
I'm Here A Lot

Re: HP Printer loses connection the next day after joining the network

I have uninstalled it from my phone and computer twice and used the printer planner to factory reset the printer... the printer will connect to the wifi fine, I can see the printer connect to the router when I log into it... But when I try to find it to install it on my computer or phone using the HP smart apps... it says nothing found o.O
ColdGranite
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Peculiar.

I can see not being able to PRINT to it because of some config issue, but HpSmart should find it so long as it is on the network ? ! ?

Make sure that the "IP4 config method" is set to DHCP.  No reason that it should have changed, but make sure.

I'll keep thinking.

ColdGranite
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

You mentioned not wanting to hardwire it.

Have you TRIED hardwiring just for a test to see if HPSmart could find it??

(You would set wifi "off" on the printer's panel.)

Morrison_Clan
I'm Here A Lot

Just tried both... nothing changed... I’m gonna have to call Rogers >__< and maybe HP.. -sigh-
ColdGranite
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Morrison_Clan wrote:
Just tried both... nothing changed... I’m gonna have to call Rogers >__< and maybe HP.. -sigh-

Okay...

Presumably you have been unable to get at the printer's web server and can only set/access printer settings via its LCD panel,...

You should be able to get into the printer's web-server as follows:

Plug in a network cable DIRECTLY from your Windows-10 computer into the printers network port.  

On the printers front panel, print a "network summary" report. 

...This should give the IP4 address that you can use to access the web-server with a browser.  If the report does not show a "wired" ip4 address, you can set one manually through the front panel: set the network "ip4  config method" to "manual" and it will ask you to give it any address you want.  (Remember to turn that back to DHCP when the expiriment is over).

Once you have an ip4 address set, you should be able to log into the printer.  Your browser must have javascript enabled.

Once you are in, you will be able to browse and set printer settings from the computer.  The "wireless" network should show "on" but "not connected" because you are already hard-wired.

Browsing through all those settings may give you a clue whether something is off... perhaps not "enabled" when it should be.

Especially the following "enabled features" which you will find under "network settings":

IPv4

IPv6

DHCP

BOOTP

AUTOIP

DHCPv6

LPD Printing

IPP and IPPS printing

WS-DISCOVERy,  WS-Print, WS-Scan

SNMP

and others.

once you are in there,  you can go through ALL the settings....

Theriaug
I've Been Around

Did you find a fix for offline all time. I have the same problem

ColdGranite
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Theriaug wrote:

Did you find a fix for offline all time. I have the same problem

I have two HP printers, and inkjet and a laser, and did not have any problems after switching to the Rogers gateway XB6.  In fact, one of them is some distance away and connects through a LINKSYS extender, which was originally purchased to help my original router... but works fine as an extender to the XB6.

The only real issue, was to have the printers "forget" the original WIFI, and re-run the wifi wizard on the printers again... to connect to the new SSID and wifi password.  HPSmart would then find the printers, you could access their web servers, and set everything up the way you wanted.    I am running an ESET antivirus, which has pretty strict firewalling.  I have my XB6 firewall ip4 security set on "maximum". Scan to computer, and all that stuff, works. 

Perhaps it might help if you let us know your exact hardware setup

Windows 10?  

wired or wireless

any intermediate bridges, switches?

etc., etc..

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Morrison_Clan wrote:

Which Ignite gateway do you have, the XB6 or the new XB7 gateway?

Some HP printer owners have reported similar problems in the Comcast Xfinity forum: https://forums.xfinity.com/conversations/your-home-network/xb7-gateway-will-not-allow-hp-wifi-printe...

If you have Ignite Pods installed, you could also try connecting your printer to the Pod with an Ethernet cable.

Morrison_Clan
I'm Here A Lot

I called Rogers and threw a bunch of different tests we found out that the router is so new it runs a Wi-Fi6 and my printer wasn’t connecting to it... he turned that off and my printer works just fine now
ColdGranite
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Morrison_Clan wrote:
I called Rogers and threw a bunch of different tests we found out that the router is so new it runs a Wi-Fi6 and my printer wasn’t connecting to it... he turned that off and my printer works just fine now

That's interesting.... because wifi 6 is supposed to be backward compatible:

ARTICLE HERE 

Does the XB7 have a weird implementation? 

@-G- , @Datalink, @57 :  any reason why a wifi-6 implementation would not be backward compatible???