HP Printer loses connection the next day after joining the network

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm Here A Lot

HP Printer loses connection the next day after joining the network

I'm having a problem where my HP printer keeping losing network connect the day after joining the network (can't print and can't go to the printer web page). I have an HP Laserjet P1102W and the new Ignite modem/router Model TG3482ER3. I tried multiple things like rebooting (lots), joining the network through the WPS buttons, using manufacture software method, switching from automatic to manual IP address, changing the router IP range and adding a manual IP outside this range for the printer. All this achieves the same result, failure. Right now have to run down to the printer and plug it into the laptop which is a major pain. With the previous generation rogers modem/router, I had the same problem but entering the printer IP address manually fixed this issue but not with this new modem/router.

***EDITED LABELS***

I've Been Around

Re: HP Printer loses connection the next day after joining the network

Did you try hp print and scan doctor? I had the same issue and that is what I did and it as been three months and no issues since. It fixed it for me.
I'm Here A Lot

Yep done it. Same result.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

usually the rogers modems have 2 bands, one is the 2.5G band, and the other is the 5G band. When you set up your wireless printer, most people simply connect to the 2.5G band or which ever band their laptop is connected to, but you can try to setup your printer on the 5G band, so that way it can change bands depending on wireless signal issues. and it should resolve itself.

I personally hate separating the 2.5 and 5G bands and wish rogers modems would combine them into one

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

here is another suggestion, depending on which model printer you have, if your printer is equipped with an RJ45 Ethernet plug, you can simply plug the printer directly into your internet modem, so it gets an IP wired, this does not mean you have to print wired, it means anything connected to your network regardless if its wired or WIRELES will print, your printer does NOT have to be connected Wireless to your modem, printer can be wired to your modem and you can still print wireless as long as your on the correct wifi network. but yeah this was my mistake when buying my first printer, my next printer will have an ethernet port for sure. cus just think about it, when you print, your computer does not send the signal to your printer, it goes to your modem (over wifi) then your modem talks to your printer (over wifi) so there is more chance of the signal getting interrupted because of this.

I'm Here A Lot

Success, finally got it figured out! I applied the previous fix for the previous model of modem/router of using a manual IP address but had to take a different route with the new Ignite modem/router. I went to the printer web page (via having a usb cable plugged in), changed the IP address configuration from automatic IP to a manual IP address, entered the new IP address (which was I had chosen one at the top end of the range), applied the changes, I then logged into the router web page, clicked view connected devices, found my printer name (had a different name than my actual printer) then clicked edit, then changed the configuration from DHCP to reserve IP, entered the printer's new IP address , saved the changes and was back in business. It so sad that I, who is some what competent in computers but far from being an IT Geek by any stretch of the imagination, had to educate myself and fumble through the dark until I found the solution when Rogers with their massive amount of financial resources don't have IT Gurus/Geeks/Experts on the payroll to handle these problems for the customers who are paying good money for inferior service.

I'm Here A Lot

Thanks to the people that posted suggestions to help me with my problem but none for Rogers that left me hanging high and dry for weeks upon weeks, with their only "help" of "unplug your modem, wait 20 seconds and plug it back in".

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

While i agree in some ways they should.. it could be almost next to impossible.

When you call microsoft, will they help you with anything outside of just having basic windows work? Nope.. as they have no way they can be trained in all the different other potential software that could be used.

Same goes here..  there is no way they could be trained on ALL the different hardware/software out there.

That being said.. they should be trained with generalities.. on at least the BASICS of troubleshooting on other devices.

I Plan to Stick Around

I hear you, but I too have the problem. I just had the Rogers Ignite service (new Modem) installed a couple of weeks ago and my HP Printer continues to go Offline after one day. I've had this printer for 2 years and never had a problem. Now with the new modem, it happens all the time.

I'm Here A Lot

I spoke too soon and I'm back to square one. Printer not connected to the Modem/router after a day just like before. I have recently purchased a new cartridge (not cheap) and don't feel like wasting it by throwing out a perfectly good printer due Rogers equipment that doesn't work properly. I'm tired of them saying it's my printer's fault when it was perfectly fine before upgrading  to their new modem/router.