cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HP Printer loses connection the next day after joining the network

JonathanM
I'm Here A Lot

I'm having a problem where my HP printer keeping losing network connect the day after joining the network (can't print and can't go to the printer web page). I have an HP Laserjet P1102W and the new Ignite modem/router Model TG3482ER3. I tried multiple things like rebooting (lots), joining the network through the WPS buttons, using manufacture software method, switching from automatic to manual IP address, changing the router IP range and adding a manual IP outside this range for the printer. All this achieves the same result, failure. Right now have to run down to the printer and plug it into the laptop which is a major pain. With the previous generation rogers modem/router, I had the same problem but entering the printer IP address manually fixed this issue but not with this new modem/router.

***EDITED LABELS***

42 REPLIES 42

Re: HP Printer loses connection the next day after joining the network

Sn02py
I've Been Here Awhile

Ignite Pods and Wifi Printer

I had Ignite internet for over a year without problems.  In the Spring, I wanted to extend my coverage to my backyard, so Rogers sent me 3 pods, which seem to be working well and achieve the goal.

My only issue is my wifi printer.  Since setting up the pods, I'm finding that my printer is often not detected by my computer(s) as on/active.  I frequently have to remove the printer and re-install it in Windows.  My best guess is that the printer switches between connection points (whether it connects to the pod or the gateway) and is no longer detected as the same printer for whatever reason.  Does that make sense?  Is there any way to avoid it?  Is there a way to assign a device to always connect to the same access point?

@Sn02py

Thanks for your post!

I can totally understand how frustrating it must be when the network doesn't pick up the printer.

Have you attempted to try some of the troubleshooting steps mentioned in the earlier posts? How far is your modem from any of the pods?

Does your wireless printer support hardwired Ethernet RJ45 connection?

If so, you can try a direct connection to one of the pods if the printer is close enough as a possible solution.

Cheers

RogersHarry

Angela14
I've Been Around

My HP Officejet 8600 is directly beside the printer and the printer is not locating the network. Powered down and back up. Did that with the router Hitron CGN3 (I think) too. I have error messages when I login to the cusadmin for the router so I do not what to do.

Hey @Angela14!

Welcome to the community!

The most common issue with devices like printers being unable to see the network stems from their restriction to the 2.4GHz wireless frequency. If you have only 1 network name as opposed to 2 (second with a -5G at the end) then Band Steering is enabled and needs to be disabled for the purposes of the initial connection. Once done, you can re-enable band steering and your printer will remain connected.

For steps on how to do this with a CGN3 you can check out this link here.

Hope this helps! Let us know if you have any further questions.

@RogersAndy

Morrison_Clan
I'm Here A Lot
Hello

My family just switched to the ignite router and it’s working fine so far... But... We have an HP Officejet Pro 8710 all-in-one printer, which is connected to the new network... But I can’t find it using any computer or cell phone in my house... I just get a “no printer found” message... But when I logged into the router, it says the printer is connected... I have tried everything, unplug, factory reset, connecting with the printer IP address... The only thing I haven’t tried yet is a hard wired connection... But I need the printer to be wireless >_< help?

@Morrison_Clan wrote:
Hello

My family just switched to the ignite router and it’s working fine so far... But... We have an HP Officejet Pro 8710 all-in-one printer, which is connected to the new network... But I can’t find it using any computer or cell phone in my house... I just get a “no printer found” message... But when I logged into the router, it says the printer is connected... I have tried everything, unplug, factory reset, connecting with the printer IP address... The only thing I haven’t tried yet is a hard wired connection... But I need the printer to be wireless >_< help?

If your router shows the printer connected, then it should show an IP address for it.

Can you access the printer's internal web-service from your regular browser with: 

"http://<printer's ip here>"   (Example "http://10.0.0.190" )

Also, I don't know the 8710 specifically, but many hp printers have their own app and/or they are accessible with the HPSmart app on Windows 10.  What happens when you try those?

I have tried to connect with the IP address and get nothing... and I’m using the HPsmart apps on my phone and computer, they can’t find it either... No printer found... >_<

Have you RE-RUN the wifi wizard from the printer touch panel, to have the printer disconnect and reconnect?

ALSO...

When you run HpSmart on windows 10, does it give you the icon of your printer, but shows it as "not available" or some such?

If so, you might have to right-click on the icon, and "forget" the printer that it is showing.

Then run HpSmart again to have it "find" it in its new installation.

I have uninstalled it from my phone and computer twice and used the printer planner to factory reset the printer... the printer will connect to the wifi fine, I can see the printer connect to the router when I log into it... But when I try to find it to install it on my computer or phone using the HP smart apps... it says nothing found o.O

Peculiar.

I can see not being able to PRINT to it because of some config issue, but HpSmart should find it so long as it is on the network ? ! ?

Make sure that the "IP4 config method" is set to DHCP.  No reason that it should have changed, but make sure.

I'll keep thinking.

You mentioned not wanting to hardwire it.

Have you TRIED hardwiring just for a test to see if HPSmart could find it??

(You would set wifi "off" on the printer's panel.)

Just tried both... nothing changed... I’m gonna have to call Rogers >__< and maybe HP.. -sigh-

@Morrison_Clan wrote:
Just tried both... nothing changed... I’m gonna have to call Rogers >__< and maybe HP.. -sigh-

Okay...

Presumably you have been unable to get at the printer's web server and can only set/access printer settings via its LCD panel,...

You should be able to get into the printer's web-server as follows:

Plug in a network cable DIRECTLY from your Windows-10 computer into the printers network port.  

On the printers front panel, print a "network summary" report. 

...This should give the IP4 address that you can use to access the web-server with a browser.  If the report does not show a "wired" ip4 address, you can set one manually through the front panel: set the network "ip4  config method" to "manual" and it will ask you to give it any address you want.  (Remember to turn that back to DHCP when the expiriment is over).

Once you have an ip4 address set, you should be able to log into the printer.  Your browser must have javascript enabled.

Once you are in, you will be able to browse and set printer settings from the computer.  The "wireless" network should show "on" but "not connected" because you are already hard-wired.

Browsing through all those settings may give you a clue whether something is off... perhaps not "enabled" when it should be.

Especially the following "enabled features" which you will find under "network settings":

IPv4

IPv6

DHCP

BOOTP

AUTOIP

DHCPv6

LPD Printing

IPP and IPPS printing

WS-DISCOVERy,  WS-Print, WS-Scan

SNMP

and others.

once you are in there,  you can go through ALL the settings....

Theriaug
I've Been Around

Did you find a fix for offline all time. I have the same problem

@Theriaug wrote:

Did you find a fix for offline all time. I have the same problem

I have two HP printers, and inkjet and a laser, and did not have any problems after switching to the Rogers gateway XB6.  In fact, one of them is some distance away and connects through a LINKSYS extender, which was originally purchased to help my original router... but works fine as an extender to the XB6.

The only real issue, was to have the printers "forget" the original WIFI, and re-run the wifi wizard on the printers again... to connect to the new SSID and wifi password.  HPSmart would then find the printers, you could access their web servers, and set everything up the way you wanted.    I am running an ESET antivirus, which has pretty strict firewalling.  I have my XB6 firewall ip4 security set on "maximum". Scan to computer, and all that stuff, works. 

Perhaps it might help if you let us know your exact hardware setup

Windows 10?  

wired or wireless

any intermediate bridges, switches?

etc., etc..

@Morrison_Clan wrote:

Which Ignite gateway do you have, the XB6 or the new XB7 gateway?

Some HP printer owners have reported similar problems in the Comcast Xfinity forum: https://forums.xfinity.com/conversations/your-home-network/xb7-gateway-will-not-allow-hp-wifi-printe...

If you have Ignite Pods installed, you could also try connecting your printer to the Pod with an Ethernet cable.

I called Rogers and threw a bunch of different tests we found out that the router is so new it runs a Wi-Fi6 and my printer wasn’t connecting to it... he turned that off and my printer works just fine now

@Morrison_Clan wrote:
I called Rogers and threw a bunch of different tests we found out that the router is so new it runs a Wi-Fi6 and my printer wasn’t connecting to it... he turned that off and my printer works just fine now

That's interesting.... because wifi 6 is supposed to be backward compatible:

ARTICLE HERE 

Does the XB7 have a weird implementation? 

@-G- , @Datalink, @57 :  any reason why a wifi-6 implementation would not be backward compatible???

@ColdGranite  Wi-Fi 6 access points should be backwards compatible in most cases but it also depends on the device as well.  Older devices may not be compatible.  For example, I have a network printer whose Wi-Fi driver never got updated to patch the KRACK vulnerability, and it will not work with my Wi-Fi 5 access points unless security is loosened in settings to accommodate the device.  I do not think that this printer will be able to connect to a Wi-Fi 6 access point.

There were also reports of computers with Wi-Fi 6 chipsets bringing down XB6 gateways when they connect to Wi-Fi, so interoperability issues are not unheard of.

Also, just just like we have issues with some Wi-Fi devices not working when Band Steering is enabled, we will probably also have issues with some devices not being able to connect to an AP that is running in WPA2/WPA3 mixed mode.  Weird issues will arise when old Wi-Fi drivers and chipsets try to connect with newer gear and run into implementation issues that they do not expect and cannot handle.

Adding to all of this, the XB7 undoubtedly has its own set of quirks that we will need to discover all over again and get sorted out.  I don't have an XB7 gateway so I can't help with this at the moment.

Does the XB7 have a weird implementation? 

I'm quite certain that the answer to this question is YES.  🙂

Kejia
I've Been Around

I switched into rogers ignite internet last week, and find out that all works well except the printer.

It’s a HP printer with air print, I printed a few pages after connect it to the wifi. But a few minutes later, neither my phone or my ipad could find the printer on the network, the ignite wifi hub app also shows its offline. But the printer shows “connected with internet”. I reconnected it to the wifi, also restart a few times, but still the same problem.

I solved the problem by connect the devices to another wifi network and printed the rest pages, but that’s just a temporary solution.

How should I really fix this?
Thanks