HP Printer loses connection the next day after joining the network

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: HP Printer loses connection the next day after joining the network

@ColdGranite  Wi-Fi 6 access points should be backwards compatible in most cases but it also depends on the device as well.  Older devices may not be compatible.  For example, I have a network printer whose Wi-Fi driver never got updated to patch the KRACK vulnerability, and it will not work with my Wi-Fi 5 access points unless security is loosened in settings to accommodate the device.  I do not think that this printer will be able to connect to a Wi-Fi 6 access point.

There were also reports of computers with Wi-Fi 6 chipsets bringing down XB6 gateways when they connect to Wi-Fi, so interoperability issues are not unheard of.

Also, just just like we have issues with some Wi-Fi devices not working when Band Steering is enabled, we will probably also have issues with some devices not being able to connect to an AP that is running in WPA2/WPA3 mixed mode.  Weird issues will arise when old Wi-Fi drivers and chipsets try to connect with newer gear and run into implementation issues that they do not expect and cannot handle.

Adding to all of this, the XB7 undoubtedly has its own set of quirks that we will need to discover all over again and get sorted out.  I don't have an XB7 gateway so I can't help with this at the moment.

Does the XB7 have a weird implementation? 

I'm quite certain that the answer to this question is YES.  🙂

Kejia
I've Been Around

I switched into rogers ignite internet last week, and find out that all works well except the printer.

It’s a HP printer with air print, I printed a few pages after connect it to the wifi. But a few minutes later, neither my phone or my ipad could find the printer on the network, the ignite wifi hub app also shows its offline. But the printer shows “connected with internet”. I reconnected it to the wifi, also restart a few times, but still the same problem.

I solved the problem by connect the devices to another wifi network and printed the rest pages, but that’s just a temporary solution.

How should I really fix this?
Thanks

ColdGranite
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Kejia wrote:

I switched into rogers ignite internet last week, and find out that all works well except the printer.

It’s a HP printer with air print, I printed a few pages after connect it to the wifi. But a few minutes later, neither my phone or my ipad could find the printer on the network, the ignite wifi hub app also shows its offline. But the printer shows “connected with internet”. I reconnected it to the wifi, also restart a few times, but still the same problem.

I solved the problem by connect the devices to another wifi network and printed the rest pages, but that’s just a temporary solution.

How should I really fix this?
Thanks

have you tried:

..."forgetting" previous wifi connection on printer, and reconnecting WIFI from scratch?

...Setting your printer's band frequency fixed to 2.4  (or 5) rather than "both"?

... checking the printer's "location" as shown on the Windows 10 "printer properties" dialog... it will show the IP address  in the "location" field... something like : http://192.168.0.252:3911... Does that match what the printer panel tells you that the printer thinks is its IP?

... checking that HPSmart ... or the printer's own app (such as HP6960) .... can find the printer?

... hooking the printer directly to a computer with internet cable and logging onto its internal web server with a browser... and checking if there is anything obviously amiss in the WIRELESS settings?

....resetting the printer for factory settings, and reconfiguring everything from scratch?