HP Printer loses connection the next day after joining the network

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: HP Printer loses connection the next day after joining the network

Not quite sure whats going on here..

I have two printers.. an HP 1202 laser (wireless only) and an OJ8700 series (wired).
Both are connected to my network, one wired and one wireless.
Both of them are always accessible for me.  

Now, with both I have them set as STATIC addresses set.  They are set at the device level (on the device) and not through the router.

Not sure if that is what is keeping them online.

Only other thing I could think would be a different protocol or something that its using compared to my one wireless one.

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Success!!!!!!!!!!!! Definitely success now as I waited 1 week to post this but the problem is solved as I just completed another print job successfuly. I found this out by chance with trying other solutions but the solition I discovered was after I did a hard reset of the printer, and looking at the options page that allowed you to sellect how much time before the printer went to sleep and when it would power off the printer (factory set to power off after 4 hours). I left the sleep setting at the factory preset but the power off feature I selected never (I figured sleeping the printer was good enough for me). Since then, I have had no issues, as I have done multiple printer jobs with success. I believe that this router/modem lacks the ability to remotely wake the printer from powered off mode (other modems were able to accomplish this but not this one). The router/modem would see it but would fail to communicate with it to get it out of the power off mode and on. If anyone has a similar problem with their printer they can feel try this solution for themselves.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Sounds like you finally found a solution. I am not so lucky, the HP Envy 7640 does not have a power off option. Still having the same issue. 

congrats to you for solving the issue

Highlighted
I've Been Around

Hi - thanks for taking the time to post this topic. I too had the same issue and believe I solved it the same way you did. My HP 3052 is not a wireless printer so I had it connected via Ethernet to my modem before I went to Ignite. After Ignite, I didn’t realize that the static IP address that I assigned it had to be changed. I called Rogers Ignite tech and they advised me I would have to call HP to solve my problem. The nugget of information I learned from Rogers though was two things - 1) I had to change the printer from manual tcp/ip to automatic on the printer (through the buttons on the printer). This enables the printer to “talk” to the new network and this allowed me to “see” the printer on the list of connected devices from my phone app. Interestingly, like you, the printer was called HP Printer on my app but called something obscure on the router when logged into it through 10.0.0.1; 2) I changed the printer to a static address once again (even though the Rogers tech guy said that I had to leave my printer to automatic due to security concerns - side note-would people really be able to hack through my home network through the Printer’s IP?) I am not a computer tech person but know some basics and agree with you that the regular person would never be able to figure this stuff out. Rogers should have checked what peripherals such as a printer was in my home at the time of installation and perhaps offer some advice on what to do - or at least try to connect it for the customer. I agree with the other poster that there could be a myriad of printers out there and each one will present a challenge and consume too much time. But three again, we are paying a lot of money to Rogers for monthly services so why shouldn’t they provide in home solutions?
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yeah, unfortunately the install techs are NOT computer techs and dont really necessarily know a lot about computers and all the different setups (outside of the basic setting up of the wifi)

(IE the whole being hacked via a hard coded IP on something on your private network?  maybe even the closest way that could be remotely possible, they would have to be ON your network)

Its not under their perview to make sure anything internet based works on your network 😞

Outside of switching to ignite, changing any router, etc people may have to go through this.

Even outside of anything with static addresses, I think that they should be yes, when doing the setup, notifying the customers that they will have to RECONNECT all their devices again, possibly by doing 'factory resets' on them to get them re-connected.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@AntonioD wrote:
I changed the printer to a static address once again (even though the Rogers tech guy said that I had to leave my printer to automatic due to security concerns - side note-would people really be able to hack through my home network through the Printer’s IP?) I am not a computer tech person but know some basics and agree with you that the regular person would never be able to figure this stuff out.

I don't know why the tech would have said that.  There's nothing about a static address that would make you more susceptible to your printer (and by extension, your network) being hacked.  In fact, assigning a static address and NOT assigning a default gateway would limit the printer's ability to connect to the Internet and that might arguably improve your security slightly... and prevent the printer from being able to automatically update its firmware, if it is capable of doing so, which might also be another attack vector.

Rogers should have checked what peripherals such as a printer was in my home at the time of installation and perhaps offer some advice on what to do - or at least try to connect it for the customer. I agree with the other poster that there could be a myriad of printers out there and each one will present a challenge and consume too much time. But three again, we are paying a lot of money to Rogers for monthly services so why shouldn’t they provide in home solutions?

Yeah, there have been a number of posts here from people who have lost network access to devices with static IP addresses.  I don't know if it would even be helpful to include stuff like this on a pre-install checklist, or if the "standard install" should just carry over/maintain the previous IPv4 network settings.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

My hp8600 printer was working fine from my Mac computer (wirelessly) until I had ignite wifi installed. Now it does not work well. Most of the time my Mac or iPhone cannot see the printer. I powered off the printer and it worked for a short while but stopped. I had a Rogers wifi before and it worked without issue. Any ideas?

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

hi GordT, when you say does not work well, do u mean does not work at all? usually when you change modems you have to re-configure your printer all over again to connect to the WiFi. did you do this?

secondly most ignite modems have a separate band for 2.4G and 5G frequencies, make sure you connect to the right one, if you connect to the 5G one but your too far away from the modem, it will disconnect often, you might want to connect to the 2.4G one as the wifi signal penetrates stronger than the 5G one, or better yet, enable Band Steering and let the modem pick the best signal automatically.

Secondly, how far is the modem from your wireless printer? if the modem is too far from your wireless printer it will def have connection issues, you need to make sure the modem is close to the wireless printer, if your wireless printer supports hardwired Ethernet RJ45 connection, then use this connection instead as its always connected and no chance of disconnecting. remember, hard wired is always better than wireless.

lastly, if all else fails, you can physically move your printer closer to your modem,  its a wireless printer after all, so it does NOT have to be near your computer, it can be in a totally different room than your computer, as long as it gets good signal from the modem, then it will work,  i did this with mine, i put my wireless printer in a different room and it works a lot better

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

I have a similar problem with my hp 8600 office jet. It worked fine with the previous Rogers wifi system. I can connect via wireless direct and the printer prints ok but cannot go on the internet at the same time. Also I can connect to the printer from my iPhone with a local hotspot. Both of these will allow me to print but this is a real pain!!! When the printer fails to connect the network report says there are multiple networks with the same name. This is really not so there is only “name” and “name-5g” and I am using the first one which is suppose to be 2.4g (the printer cannot do 5). The network report shows a bunch of networks with “name” using different channels and other parameters (these go away when I recycle the gateway).

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

can you try connecting your HP 8600 printer to the Ignite modem with an RJ45 Ethernet cable? a wired connection is much more stable than a wireless, you might be too far distance wise from the modem or have more wireless network interference. if wired is not possible try moving your printer closer or in a different room