cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HDCP Errors

gp-se
I'm an advisor

Hey everyone, I noticed I'm having issues with watching 4k content on my Xi6 going through a Yamaha receiver. I get an error saying the box cannot output 4k because of a HDCP issue. If I unplug or restart the box with the TV and Receiver both on, then I have no issues. However since my receiver handles all the input switching, if I switch the source to my PS4, then back to the Rogers Xi6 then the issue happens. This will also happen without switching sources, just powering on the tv/receiver/Xi6 will cause the HDCP error to pop up sometimes. Perhaps the sequence the Rogers Xi6 powers on the devices has something to do with it. I had a Rogers 4K Nextbox before that never had this issue, I could switch between the PS4 and Nextbox, and it would still output 4k HDCP protected content without issue. All my equipment is running the latest firmware, and this only happens with the Rogers Xi6 box. I've had the service for over a year and only recently noticed this behavior, so perhaps a firmware change with the Xi6 messed this up. 

My equipment: 

Samsung UN55KS8000

Yamaha RX-V781 Receiver

Rogers Technicolor Xi6

Hopefully someone can relay this message to the firmware team so they can implement a fix with the HDCP handshake. 

*** Edited Labels ***

4 REPLIES 4

Re: HDCP Errors

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Rogers recently implemented HDMI-CEC on their boxes.  If you don't need it, turn it off on all your equipment.

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Ignite-TV/Ignite-TV-set-top-boxes-now-support-HDMI-CEC/m-p/468...

gp-se
I'm an advisor

@57 Thanks for the reply, it makes sense because I feel like this issue only started recently. I'll disable it and report back.

gp-se
I'm an advisor

I tried it with HDMI-CEC disabled and enabled, it made no difference. Once I use the receiver to switch the source when I switch back to the Xi6 it wont display 4k saying HDCP error. My equipment hasn't changed, only the 4k nextbox to Xi6.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Sounds like the handshake may be slightly different with Ignite.  If you can tolerate it, then you may wish to be aware that switching inputs causes the issue and minimize switching.

Another workaround may be to route HDMI directly to the TV from the IgniteTV box and use the optical output from the TV to the AVR for audio.  Have you tried a different input(s) on the TV or AVR?  Sometimes certain inputs are designed for 4K while others are not...

Topic Stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 in conversation