cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fox 1 Sports

danno100
I plan to stick around

Now if we want this channel we are being charged $7 a month and not even getting the actual channel.

It's a bogus  makeshift that someone has put together, it has live sports and then reruns. If you go to the actual Fox1 Sports in the USA feed the schedule is completely different, we should be getting the actual feed for $7 !! Can anyone answer this? If we are only getting 20% of the same actual programming as the USA Fox 1 Sports then it should not be charging $7 a month.If I could only find a way to record programming I would use the USA network feed on the internet.

***Edited Labels***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Fox 1 Sports

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
You know Rogers Cable has no say in what is aired on Fox Sports Racing. Rogers is just the pipe which carries the signal from Fox's Master Control to your house, but you knew that right?.

If you have an issue with the lack of content on Fox Sports Racing, by all means give them a call or email them or write them a letter to express your frustration.

I bet almost no one does that any more. I highly doubt the Executives in the USA at Fox Sports Racing are reading these rogers community forums and saying oh we should do something about our channel?

Your more than welcome to contact the channel and express your frustration. In fact I encourage people to do that.

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14

Biollw
I'm a senior advisor

Canadian version of an American channel. It is like this with most speciality channel, Discovery, HBO, History, etc.

Canadian Broadcaster with the American rights for the channel name are basically using the name to lure you into thinking it is the American version.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@danno100 The Fox Sports Facing Wikipedia page explains the channel's history.  FSR used to be part of the Premier package and was available to many customers for free... but then Rogers suddenly pulled it last summer.  (Fox Business is also only available individually or as part of a Theme Pack.  I'm guessing that there is some corporate friction between Rogers and Fox and that's why neither is available as a Flex channel.)

Don_Ca
I'm a senior contributor
Same as others said, Canadian Version of a US channel. Same with Uk, BBC First is not the same as BBC One in the UK.

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
its like this for any major network.

Here are some examples. When you watch E! network in Canada, your watching a version of this channel taylored to Canadian market, with Canadian commercial's and everything. its also like that in other parts of the world too. you go to Europe or Australia, the E! channel you get over there is also taylored to their local market too.

Bloomberg in USA? Ya Canada gets a Canadian version called BNN Bloomberg, this is nothing new. only very few American specialty channels show the same content here. CNN is one example

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Don_Ca wrote:
Same as others said, Canadian Version of a US channel. Same with Uk, BBC First is not the same as BBC One in the UK.

Okay, but the issue being raised here is:

Fox1 Sports in the USA feed the schedule is completely different, we should be getting the actual feed for $7 !! Can anyone answer this? If we are only getting 20% of the same actual programming as the USA Fox 1 Sports then it should not be charging $7 a month.

Rogers can only provide us with channels that have a broadcast licence in Canada.

The channel owner is responsible for the content that they broadcast.

The cost of the channel (and associated rights) is the result of negotiations between Rogers and the channel owner, and part of that is also based on the estimated and actual number of subscribers.

The cost of the channel and its popularity will dictate whether it gets included in a package, such as Premier (either as a regular channel or as a Flex Channel) or whether it gets relegated to only being available individually or as part of a specialty theme pack.

If I were a Rogers Product Manager and I saw this thread, it's not entirely clear to me what the ask is.  If a channel is too expensive. does not deliver value and has low viewership, it does not make business sense to include it as part of a package, and it may or may not be possible to make it available "for free" as a Flex Channel.

The only other thing that Rogers controls is the structure of their packages and bundles, and how much they charge.  If they do not deliver value, they will lose subscribers.

The bigger problem is that Rogers wants as many people as possible to subscribe to Premier.  However, there is less and less content on TV these days that is worth watching, which makes Premier less and less appealing, especially when channels either get removed or cease broadcasting, or when Rogers raises prices.  The question then becomes whether Rogers will give Flex 20+ customers more flexibility in order to retain customers, or whether they will perhaps move to a model that is entirely pick-and-pay, and force channels to fight for their continued existence based on their cost, value and merit.

Don_Ca
I'm a senior contributor
Exactly, not a Rogers problem (unless they own it, but I cannot track down ownership at the moment).

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Don_Ca wrote:
Exactly, not a Rogers problem (unless they own it, but I cannot track down ownership at the moment).

It's an actual Fox Sports channel, that they can broadcast internationally: https://www.foxsports.com/motor/fox-sports-racing

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
So hold up. Is the channel your tuning into on your Rogers box actually called Fox Sports 1? or is it called Fox Sports Racing like the above link says?

This is important to know to help you answer the question. Not all of us are customers and can not tune in to our TV to check.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Rogers only offers "Fox Sports Racing" (Channel 541 / "Fox Racing" on Ignite) but, if I understand correctly,  @danno100  was expecting it to be more like the "Fox Sports 1" US station, and was complaining about both the cost and the lack of US programming that is offered here.

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
Here is the answer to danno100's question.

danno100 does NOT subscribe to Fox 1 Sports (Fox Sports 1) even though he said he does. He was confused and misunderstood.

He subscribes to Fox Sports Racing instead. Fox Sports 1 is a US only channel, it is not permitted in Canada, its intended audience is the Sports fans in the United States.

Fox Sports Racing channel is allowed to broadcast in Canada and Rogers currently carries it. It is a Different channel with different license, but they do get SOME CONTENT from their sister channels Fox Sports 1 & 2 and air them on Fox Sports Racing.

They are completely different channels.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

There have been no further responses since the initial post but it's also possible that @danno100 could have asked for the "Fox Sports 1" channel, not knowing that it was not available in Canada, and a Rogers agent added Fox Sports Racing, possibly also not knowing the difference.

Regardless, I think it's clear by now that Fox Sports 1 and Fox Sports Racing are entirely different channels.  Whether or not FSR is worth the $7/month subscription fee is up to individual subscribers, who will vote with their wallets.

ColdGranite
I'm a senior contributor

The REAL problem with Fox Sports Racing is that the commercials have not changed in 5 years.

danno100
I plan to stick around

I am not confused and misunderstood. We are getting ripped off in Canada with this station. Who is putting it together with horse racing??? old commercials and then some live content from USA's Fox Sports 1 stations. For something that is only 20% live it should of stayed as a Flex channel. That's all I was asking..I know it's not the same feed as I can view the live feed on the web.

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
You know Rogers Cable has no say in what is aired on Fox Sports Racing. Rogers is just the pipe which carries the signal from Fox's Master Control to your house, but you knew that right?.

If you have an issue with the lack of content on Fox Sports Racing, by all means give them a call or email them or write them a letter to express your frustration.

I bet almost no one does that any more. I highly doubt the Executives in the USA at Fox Sports Racing are reading these rogers community forums and saying oh we should do something about our channel?

Your more than welcome to contact the channel and express your frustration. In fact I encourage people to do that.
Topic Stats
  • 14 replies
  • 9 Likes
  • 6 in conversation