cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Force Ignite TV to connect to pod

conquerer
I plan to stick around

Hello,

I've searched the archives and can't find an answer to this, apologies if it has already been discussed.

I'm wondering if there is a way to force an Ignite TV box to connect to a pod rather than the main WIFI base station? 

I have a weak spot in my house, TV would just stop due to poor signal strength, so Rogers sent pods. We have had the pods set up and working for 3+ weeks, however both of the televisions in the weak zone always try to connect to the main base station (three floors away). Other devices connect to the pods no problem, so we know they are functioning correctly. However the TV's just won't. Sometimes when we unplug the TV unit it will connect to the pod initially, but shortly after (an hour or so) it's connected to the main base and we once again have weak signal issues. I have a pod in the bedroom, and another pod connected on the floor below. Both are being bypassed by the two TV units.

Thanks for any tips!

8 REPLIES 8

Re: Force Ignite TV to connect to pod

Bplayer
I'm a trusted contributor

I do not believe you can force a connection. It is possible that the PODS are not optimally located, as just spreading them out does not guarantee good coverage everywhere. Some trial and testing is required. Perform speed tests from multiple locations on each floor to see where the coverage is poor, record and analyze the results. Here are some suggestions:

1. move the Hub to main floor

2. try removing the POD on the 3rd floor

3. relocate a POD to a different room on the same floor (directly above the Hub may not be best)

It may be helpful also run the tests with all devices offline except for the measuring tool, and compare the results. One device getting poor performance in one location can negatively affect other devices.

ColdGranite
I'm a senior contributor

@conquerer wrote:

Hello,

I've searched the archives and can't find an answer to this, apologies if it has already been discussed.

I'm wondering if there is a way to force an Ignite TV box to connect to a pod rather than the main WIFI base station? 

I have a weak spot in my house, TV would just stop due to poor signal strength, so Rogers sent pods. We have had the pods set up and working for 3+ weeks, however both of the televisions in the weak zone always try to connect to the main base station (three floors away). Other devices connect to the pods no problem, so we know they are functioning correctly. However the TV's just won't. Sometimes when we unplug the TV unit it will connect to the pod initially, but shortly after (an hour or so) it's connected to the main base and we once again have weak signal issues. I have a pod in the bedroom, and another pod connected on the floor below. Both are being bypassed by the two TV units.

Thanks for any tips!

If you haven't acctually redone the wifi connection for each TV box after the pods were installed, it is possible that they are just connecting to the last MAC that they were connected to.

Have you tried forcing a new connection by going through this:

Press and hold Exit for 5 seconds, then press the down arrow twice (down, down), then enter 9-4-3-4.

It will Take you to a WPS / manual setup screen where you can manually select the SSID and then enter the password.  

It should show the strongest signals first.

JonnyG
I plan to stick around

Hello, I am having an issue with my TV cable boxes jumping around from a Pod that is closer to the cable box than it is to the Gateway Modem/Router. Is there a way I can "force" the cable box to stay permanently with the Pod rather than try to reach for the Gateway? Any help that can be provided would be great.

Thanks. 

Bplayer

Why do you care what it is connected to as long as there are no performance issues? The PODs & Gateway select the best connection for each device.

JonnyG
I plan to stick around
I care because my TV cablebox keeps hopping between the wifi pod and the gateway. When it uses the pod it works. When it attempts to use the gateway it doesn't and I get no picture. I can't control when it does that and it is frustrating.

Bplayer

Good reason, that information was not included in your OP. The primary issue is poor connection between the Gateway and that TV box. Some questions:

1. How close is that TV box to the Gateway and to the POD?

2. Is this your only TV?

3. Are you experiencing connection problems with any other devices?

4. How many PODs do you have installed, and have you tried relocating them?

JonnyG
I plan to stick around

1. How close is that TV box to the Gateway and to the POD? The Gateway is the next room over to the TV box but is on the opposite side of the room, furthest away from it. The TV and Gateway are in the basement and the POD is right above the TV on the main floor.

2. Is this your only TV? It is not the only TV I have. The main TV is on the main floor and it can connect to the TV no problem and the picture and signal are great and strong. 

3. Are you experiencing connection problems with any other devices? I am not. I do have a third TV that is wired in via ethernet but all wireless devices do not have issues with speeds and connect to the internet without issues.

4. How many PODs do you have installed, and have you tried relocating them? I tried initially to install 2 PODs but they seemed to have issues with each other and so now 1 POD seems to be the sweet spot for us to get some picture. 

Bplayer

There is no exact science to solving this problem. Some experimenting will be required. Suggest you start with these:

- if the original setup always included the PODs, then try removing the one on the main floor and check the coverage around your home to confirm that it is needed

- install the second POD in the basement mid way between the Gateway and the TV

- move the POD on the main floor to be above the other POD in the basement

- move the POD on the main floor to be above the Gateway

Run a speed tests on a laptop or phone, in all areas of your home, and record the results to determine which placement provides the best coverage.

The literature suggest that the PODs may take a few day to "learn" the usage patterns and to provide the optimum performance, so give it time unless some placement just does not work.

Topic Stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 Like
  • 4 in conversation