Flex channel shutting down - what happens?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Flex channel shutting down - what happens?

Hi all, got a bit of a corner case/technical question.

I currently subscribe to the Ignite Popular bundle, and I have IFC as one of my flex channels. I've read that IFC is being shut down soon, and noticed that it's already disappeared from my channel listings on the website even though it does still appear in my guide and I can still watch it.

My question is: When it does shut down, will I have the opportunity to pick a new one to replace it? Or will everyone on a package that includes IFC have one less flex channel? How would that be managed for people who don't currently have IFC as one of their chosen channels? Or will it not be, which would mean I have one less channel than some other people on the same package?

Solved! Go to Solution.

Re: Flex channel shutting down - what happens?

Good evening @PatrickJB,

Thank you for your post! I'm sure a lot of users are wondering the same thing. The broadcaster for IFC Canada has decided to stop offering this channel starting October 1, 2019, which means it will no longer be available as part of your TV package. If you currently subscribe to this channel you'll continue to enjoy it until September 30, 2019.

Although this decision is beyond our control, we understand that this change can be frustrating. If you pay a separate monthly service fee for this channel, you will no longer be charged as of this date. 

To ensure your TV package won’t be disrupted, if you currently have IFC Canada selected as a bonus channel as part of your Popular or Premier TV Package, we will automatically replace it. If you would like to select something else, you can exchange your bonus channel online using your MyRogers account at rogers.com/myrogers.

Hope this helps!

RogersMaude

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

i cant see why they wont replace it for you with another one or why you would not be able to login online and change it yourself. im sure this has been the case in the past as channels have shut down before with little to no notice.

and yes its not their fault but im sure they have procedures in place to deal with this. it would not make sense for them to keep charging you for a channel that disappeared by the decision of the broadcaster.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Hi Maude, thanks for the detailed reply! I know it's out of Rogers' control when a channel shuts down. I was simply curious how the platform would handle replacing the channel. I appreciate the information.