Fast Forward Function - Ignite TV

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Fast Forward Function - Ignite TV

@thprice099 wrote:

is there a listing somewhere of other Magic keys

Not that I know of.  Comcast seems to make a point of not (publicly) documenting any of these sorts of things.  Everything that I learned was found by scouring Xfinity X1 support posts, on various sites, for any nuggets of information that I could find.  Occasionally, I find some really obscure stuff by accident.  A good starting point is to search the Internet for things like "x1 exit 0030" to find sites containing this as well as other X1 tips, tricks and hacks.

northface57
I'm Here A Lot

Is anyone still having frutration with FF/REW?  I also use the FF function rather than voice command and I can't stand the rubber band like action from using the FF buttons.   I can't understand why the recording I am seeing in FF mode needs to jump backwards some significant amount of time when I press play.  Is anyone else having this issue?  Voice command works. I know I could just use voice command but this is sketchy with a guess on commercial durations and you still need to use FF or REW.  My wife and I get so frustrated with this ...  It's a digital transmission surely I can point to a frame or time in the recording and get this point to display.  This should be no different to how we access You Tube  videos and how you can move through the recordings at will.   Is Rogers Ignite a work in progress?  Is there a SW glitch in the network that somehow decouples what I am seeing vs what the cloud PVR is receiving in commands from the remote? Is there a solution to this? Sometimes  I am ready to move off Rogers service altogether, because of this frustrating issue.  

ColdGranite
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@northface57 wrote:

Is anyone still having frutration with FF/REW?  I also use the FF function rather than voice command and I can't stand the rubber band like action from using the FF buttons.   I can't understand why the recording I am seeing in FF mode needs to jump backwards some significant amount of time when I press play.  Is anyone else having this issue?  Voice command works. I know I could just use voice command but this is sketchy with a guess on commercial durations and you still need to use FF or REW.  My wife and I get so frustrated with this ...  It's a digital transmission surely I can point to a frame or time in the recording and get this point to display.  This should be no different to how we access You Tube  videos and how you can move through the recordings at will.   Is Rogers Ignite a work in progress?  Is there a SW glitch in the network that somehow decouples what I am seeing vs what the cloud PVR is receiving in commands from the remote? Is there a solution to this? Sometimes  I am ready to move off Rogers service altogether, because of this frustrating issue.  

If you want to skip commercials, the best way is to use the 30-second forward, 15-second back steps, using the Page-Up and Page-Down buttons.  

That way, the typical 3 minute commercial, goes: PG-UP, UP, UP, UP, UP, UP, and if it went too far, PG-DN usually puts it pretty close.   No fiddling with the FF or RW.... the step-forward is always exactly 30 seconds.

NOW... they may be defaulting to 5 minutes forward, so you set them to 30 seconds forward as follows:

Press and hold the Rogers (Menu) button for three seconds, then key in: Up Up 2.  When prompted to Enter Control Code, key in: 0 0 3 0

You should only have to do the setting once.

Some people have claimed that the default goes back to 5 minutes... Mine never has. 

It might be best to boot the box (power down and up), then do this setting first thing.

I never use fast forward or rewind, unless I need to skip a big piece of a movie or something.  

And in THAT case, using voice is so much faster, because a 30 minute skip is done almost instantaneously, rather than trying to do the FF thing.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@northface57 wrote:

Is anyone still having frutration with FF/REW?  I also use the FF function rather than voice command and I can't stand the rubber band like action from using the FF buttons.  

This has always been a problem on Ignite TV; the FF and REW cannot be stopped at a precise point.  Just tune into any channel with a running clock, such as TWN or CP24.... let it run for a while, then use REW to go back to a specific point and press PLAY.  You will notice that the seconds display on the clock will usually jump ahead.

I can't understand why the recording I am seeing in FF mode needs to jump backwards some significant amount of time when I press play.

It's a digital transmission surely I can point to a frame or time in the recording and get this point to display.   

If you are looking for a technical explanation, keep in mind that when a channel streamed, it is buffered and actually gets sent as successive segments of video.  I'm guessing that pressing PLAY resumes playback at the beginning of the next segment in the stream, and that is probably why the playback jumps ahead past the desired point.  I definitely consider this a bug.  Playback should resume at precisely the point where you press PLAY... and if using Voice Commands can take you back to a precise spot, then so should FF and REW.

I find this bug annoying as well, especially when I miss something that was said on TV and only want to go back 3 seconds.  When I use REW to do this, I always end up just ahead of where I wanted to resume playback.  The 15 second skipback is not an option because it goes back too far, and voice commands are risky when watching live TV because they can be misinterpreted and cause the channel to change.

@CommunityHelps  Would it be possible for you to create a support ticket based on my post here?  If not, I can submit a bug report in a PM.  Thanks!

northface57
I'm Here A Lot

Hi G. Thanks for your reply.  How do I create a support ticket?

rgds

Bob

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@northface57 wrote:

Hi G. Thanks for your reply.  How do I create a support ticket?

rgds

Bob

You can't do it on your own but you can send a Private Message to @CommunityHelps  and they can create a ticket for this issue on your behalf, if they haven't already done so per my request above.

WWII
I've Been Here Awhile

Yes! Most annoying.
jimmyrut
I've Been Around

It is the worst controller I have ever used. It is so unresponsive compared to the other Roger controllers. I watch a lot of sports and hate it. I can’t use the slow motion feature for replays either. Good job Rogers!!!!