Fast Forward Function - Ignite TV

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Fast Forward Function - Ignite TV

The boxes sort of  have a failover feature.. that if it cant reach the recording or is having a problem with it.. that it will revert to finding an on demand of it, if available.  In which yes you cant FF.
So its possible that is happening.

But if its a full blown recording, commercials and all, then you should be able to FF on it.

natluc
I'm Here A Lot

Today I have found that with two of my recorded shows the fast forward function isn’t working. When I press fast forward on these shows a message appears at the top of the screen that says “Fast forward isn’t available. This program doesn’t support it”. This is happening on shows I’ve recorded previously and have never had this issue. A reboot of the box didn’t help. 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@natluc : As discussed in posts 10, 11 of this thread, are you sure you're watching an actual recording that you made, or perhaps that/those recording/s "failed" for whatever reason and you're actually watching something on-demand which you cannot FF as discussed in those posts.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yeah, thats the exact message you get when you are in a on demand that doesnt support it.
My guess is that its failing over for whatever reason.  (though usually I remember seeing a message at the top when you when to do the recording, saying it was failing over)

Side note: One thing I really like now is how easy to get to the on demand versions if you need to.
IE: my wife was going to watch Steven Colbert which she recorded.  Found the recording that the election thing has over-run over the recording.  Was easy to go on the recording, 'other versions' of it, and be able to find the on demand version right there.  Finds it for you, rather than having to go to the on demand section, and searching, etc.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

So far, I have not run into any situations where I was not able to Fast Forward through a show that I recorded on Ignite TV.  That said, on some IPTV platforms, it is possible to have the program rights set up in such a way that you cannot Fast Forward through recorded content.  I don't know what restrictions can be put in place on recorded content with the Xfinity X1 platform or what Rogers may have done in the past.

With On Demand content, my experience on Ignite TV varies.  When "Restart"-able content is available, I can sometimes Fast Forward though.  (On a 1-hour show, when you press pause, a 1-hour timeline is shown, and you see broadcast commercials when you watch the program.)  In one such case, I was able to Fast Forward through program content but not the commercials... but I could rewind a bit, then use Voice Control to "Go forward 4 minutes" and skip over commercials that way.  What you can/cannot do depends entirely on what rights/restrictions are in place.

With On Demand content, where a 45 minute timeline is shown for a 1 hour broadcast, Fast Forward is often unavailable (since many of the broadcast commercials have been replaced with other fewer (possibly dynamically inserted) ads) but again, it depends on how the rights have been set up.

As others have said before, if a recording is either corrupt/broken/unavailable (I haven't seen this happen for quite a while now) then Ignite TV can fail over to On-demand content and/or prompt you to re-record the program if it is going to be broadcast again at a later date/time.  So, you may find yourself watching On Demand content rather than a recording.

natluc
I'm Here A Lot

In my case I think the show I was watching was recorded because in the bottom left corner of the time remaining screen there was a cloud icon and it said PVR.
I’ll see if this happens on any other shows
thprice099
I've Been Here Awhile

Is there anyway to change the skip forward button to 3 minutes instead of 5 minutes

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@thprice099 wrote:

Is there anyway to change the skip forward button to 3 minutes instead of 5 minutes

You can change the "skip forward" interval from 5 minutes to 30 seconds using a magic key sequence.  However, I don't know of any way to "Skip ahead three minutes" other than by saying that voice command.

thprice099
I've Been Here Awhile

is there a listing somewhere of other Magic keys

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Comcast's Xfinity site is a good start. Click the applicable tabs for information on how things work:

https://www.xfinity.com/support/tv#get-started

ie: https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/get-to-know-xr11-remote

Of course there will be minor variances with Rogers Ignite, but much of this applies.