Fairchild TV East (Channel 36) in Ignite TV always zoom

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Fairchild TV East (Channel 36) in Ignite TV always zoom

@57 @Pauly  That was my initial thought as well, but what if channel 36 was being sent by Rogers as a 4:3 SD stream and channel 751 a 16:9 SD stream, and the TV was stretching 4:3 content?  (From @kklee 's pictures, if Fairchild's source feed for both channels are in the same format then Rogers must be encoding one of them differently.)

I experienced a similar situation with one of my Xi6 set-top boxes connected to a computer monitor.  Comedy Gold (4:3 SD) got stretched; Stingray Retro (Widescreen SD) displayed normally.  I couldn't configure how 4:3 content was handled on the monitor so I could not fix this.  Comedy Gold also got stretched on one of my TVs (and looked just the channel 36 photo) until I disabled the option to stretch 4:3 content, after which it displayed normally, with sidebars, on the TV.)

I also concur that Rogers needs to investigate this in conjunction with Fairchild.  However, I still think it's worth confirming that the TV itself is not stretching 4:3 content.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@CommunityHelps  I would be happy to test Fairchild myself but don't want to use my Flex Channel swap to do this.  Could you please temporarily remove the MLB Network (channel 538) from my lineup and add Fairchild?  Thanks!

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

However, I still think it's worth confirming that the TV itself is not stretching 4:3 content.

An super easy way to see if your TV is auto stretching 4:3 content, when on a channel that looks stretched, open the guide, does the guide appear stretched?   In my humble experience, it appears that the TV functions to Auto Detect and / or Stretch the picture based on the aspect ratio and or resolution do not work correctly with set top boxes or do not work at all.  Set top boxes deliver a 16x9 aspect signal to your display even when your watching a 4x3 channel on the set top box, even when you see the piller boxes on the sides its still sending a 16x9 signal, I studied this stuff.

Whats probably happening is the stretching is done at the source signal, if you watch fair child, chances are some of  your family members and relatives do as well, why not simply ask them?  I did this when I was having aspect ratio problems with RAI Italia, I just asked some relatives to check for me, or I checked when i went to visit their house.  if its happening on their TVs too, then it is probably a source signal problem, yes a lot of networks get lazy and cut corners and when displaying SD 4x3 signals just stretch it to 16x9, or their equipment has technical issues and is converting things incorrectly. you know how to fix this? complain to the network.

I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks for the suggestion. I have 3 TVs at home with both Samsung and LG and they all have the same issue.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Pauly wrote:

However, I still think it's worth confirming that the TV itself is not stretching 4:3 content.

An super easy way to see if your TV is auto stretching 4:3 content, when on a channel that looks stretched, open the guide, does the guide appear stretched?   

Just as an FYI, this is not always the case. Some TVs actually detect the black bars, not resolution, not if it's SD, etc.  You can usually tell this because the picture would come up unstretched initially and then a few seconds later, it would be stretched by the black bar detection, even on HD signals.  The opposite would happen when you bring up the guide, it may be stretched for a second or so, then as "information" is detected in the area outside the 4:3 zone,  the guide would be "unstretched" and viewed normally. During my optimization travels, I've only seen a few TVs that do this and obviously the option can be deselected in the TV's setup menu.  It's possible to see this in action because it takes a couple of seconds for the stretching/unstretching to occur.  

With most TVs the (auto) stretching was done when an SD (480i) signal was detected, but with most newer STBs only sending one resolution - usually HD, the (SD-type) of auto stretching wasn't much use.  You had to do it manually if you wanted something stretched and then you'd have to manually "unstretch" when you went back to proper HD.  I've only seen this "black bar" auto-stretch on a select few TVs  many years ago when there was a lot more 4:3 programming on HD channels.  Again, I don't believe this to be the case in this (Fairchild) instance.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@kklee Do you have the Ignite TV mobile app installed?  If so, how do the Fairchild TV channels display on the mobile device?

With Comedy Gold, the 4:3 SD content displayed normally, edge to edge with a 4:3 aspect ratio and no sidebars in portrait mode, and also displayed normally/undistorted with sidebars in landscape mode.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@57 wrote:

Just as an FYI, this is not always the case. Some TVs actually detect the black bars, not resolution, not if it's SD, etc.  You can usually tell this because the picture would come up unstretched initially and then a few seconds later, it would be stretched by the black bar detection, even on HD signals.  The opposite would happen when you bring up the guide, it may be stretched for a second or so, then as "information" is detected in the area outside the 4:3 zone,  the guide would be "unstretched" and viewed normally.

So then as per your example, just check does the Guide Stretch / Unstretch within a few seconds? if so, then The Rogers Ignite STB is the culprit.  As per my previous example, when you open the guide, you should have a small preview window of the channel, no?  I never used Ignite, so I can not remember how their guide is but most cable companies guide has a small preview window of the channel your watching, if its a 16x9 picture it will fill the preview window fully, if its a 4x3 picture, you will see the side bars in the preview window within your guide.  this should also help you test, but if you do not want, just call Rogers and open a complaint, their tech support department should have a Test Lab where the technical agent can check a TV in their lab to confirm if the problem is happening and then escalate it to the appropriate tier / level 2 department 

I Plan to Stick Around

There is no preview window in the Ignite TV Guide.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

It would REALLY be helpful if anyone who subscribes to Fairchild TV could describe how the East and West channels displays on a mobile device; whether or not the 4:3 aspect ratio is preserved and whether it displays with or without sidebars, in both portrait and landscape mode.

Right now, we're just guessing as to the format that the channel is being streamed and guessing as to how the TV is processing the signal.

@CommunityHelps  Per my previous post, I would be willing to test this myself if you could perform a temporary Flex channel swap and add Fairchild TV to my channel lineup.

I Plan to Stick Around

Here are the photos.

Channel 36 on Mobile Device Portrait.jpgChannel 36 on Mobile Device Portrait

Channel 36 on Mobile Device Landscrape.jpgChannel 36 on Mobile Device Landscrape

Channel 751 on Mobile Device Portrait.jpgChannel 751 on Mobile Device Portrait

Channel 751 on Mobile Device Landscape.jpgChannel 751 on Mobile Device Landscape