cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fairchild TV East (Channel 36) in Ignite TV always zoom

kklee
I plan to stick around

I just switched to Ignite TV and have an annoying problem. Fairchild TV is not a HD channel so I watch it with TV box setting “Auto Zoom”None. I don’t want zooming because it will make the picture “un-natural”. After switching to Ignite TV and setting “Auto Zoom” to None, I found that Fairchild TV West (Channel 751) does not zoom, but Fairchild TV East (Channel 36 and 750) still zoom to size of screen. Anybody experience the same thing and any suggestion on fixing it? Thanks.

*Added Labels*

57 REPLIES 57

Re: Fairchild TV East (Channel 36) in Ignite TV always zoom

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@CommunityHelps  I would be happy to test Fairchild myself but don't want to use my Flex Channel swap to do this.  Could you please temporarily remove the MLB Network (channel 538) from my lineup and add Fairchild?  Thanks!

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

However, I still think it's worth confirming that the TV itself is not stretching 4:3 content.

An super easy way to see if your TV is auto stretching 4:3 content, when on a channel that looks stretched, open the guide, does the guide appear stretched?   In my humble experience, it appears that the TV functions to Auto Detect and / or Stretch the picture based on the aspect ratio and or resolution do not work correctly with set top boxes or do not work at all.  Set top boxes deliver a 16x9 aspect signal to your display even when your watching a 4x3 channel on the set top box, even when you see the piller boxes on the sides its still sending a 16x9 signal, I studied this stuff.

Whats probably happening is the stretching is done at the source signal, if you watch fair child, chances are some of  your family members and relatives do as well, why not simply ask them?  I did this when I was having aspect ratio problems with RAI Italia, I just asked some relatives to check for me, or I checked when i went to visit their house.  if its happening on their TVs too, then it is probably a source signal problem, yes a lot of networks get lazy and cut corners and when displaying SD 4x3 signals just stretch it to 16x9, or their equipment has technical issues and is converting things incorrectly. you know how to fix this? complain to the network.

kklee
I plan to stick around

Thanks for the suggestion. I have 3 TVs at home with both Samsung and LG and they all have the same issue.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Pauly wrote:

However, I still think it's worth confirming that the TV itself is not stretching 4:3 content.

An super easy way to see if your TV is auto stretching 4:3 content, when on a channel that looks stretched, open the guide, does the guide appear stretched?   

Just as an FYI, this is not always the case. Some TVs actually detect the black bars, not resolution, not if it's SD, etc.  You can usually tell this because the picture would come up unstretched initially and then a few seconds later, it would be stretched by the black bar detection, even on HD signals.  The opposite would happen when you bring up the guide, it may be stretched for a second or so, then as "information" is detected in the area outside the 4:3 zone,  the guide would be "unstretched" and viewed normally. During my optimization travels, I've only seen a few TVs that do this and obviously the option can be deselected in the TV's setup menu.  It's possible to see this in action because it takes a couple of seconds for the stretching/unstretching to occur.  

With most TVs the (auto) stretching was done when an SD (480i) signal was detected, but with most newer STBs only sending one resolution - usually HD, the (SD-type) of auto stretching wasn't much use.  You had to do it manually if you wanted something stretched and then you'd have to manually "unstretch" when you went back to proper HD.  I've only seen this "black bar" auto-stretch on a select few TVs  many years ago when there was a lot more 4:3 programming on HD channels.  Again, I don't believe this to be the case in this (Fairchild) instance.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@kklee Do you have the Ignite TV mobile app installed?  If so, how do the Fairchild TV channels display on the mobile device?

With Comedy Gold, the 4:3 SD content displayed normally, edge to edge with a 4:3 aspect ratio and no sidebars in portrait mode, and also displayed normally/undistorted with sidebars in landscape mode.

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@57 wrote:

Just as an FYI, this is not always the case. Some TVs actually detect the black bars, not resolution, not if it's SD, etc.  You can usually tell this because the picture would come up unstretched initially and then a few seconds later, it would be stretched by the black bar detection, even on HD signals.  The opposite would happen when you bring up the guide, it may be stretched for a second or so, then as "information" is detected in the area outside the 4:3 zone,  the guide would be "unstretched" and viewed normally.

So then as per your example, just check does the Guide Stretch / Unstretch within a few seconds? if so, then The Rogers Ignite STB is the culprit.  As per my previous example, when you open the guide, you should have a small preview window of the channel, no?  I never used Ignite, so I can not remember how their guide is but most cable companies guide has a small preview window of the channel your watching, if its a 16x9 picture it will fill the preview window fully, if its a 4x3 picture, you will see the side bars in the preview window within your guide.  this should also help you test, but if you do not want, just call Rogers and open a complaint, their tech support department should have a Test Lab where the technical agent can check a TV in their lab to confirm if the problem is happening and then escalate it to the appropriate tier / level 2 department 

kklee
I plan to stick around

There is no preview window in the Ignite TV Guide.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

It would REALLY be helpful if anyone who subscribes to Fairchild TV could describe how the East and West channels displays on a mobile device; whether or not the 4:3 aspect ratio is preserved and whether it displays with or without sidebars, in both portrait and landscape mode.

Right now, we're just guessing as to the format that the channel is being streamed and guessing as to how the TV is processing the signal.

@CommunityHelps  Per my previous post, I would be willing to test this myself if you could perform a temporary Flex channel swap and add Fairchild TV to my channel lineup.

kklee
I plan to stick around

Here are the photos.

Channel 36 on Mobile Device PortraitChannel 36 on Mobile Device Portrait

Channel 36 on Mobile Device LandscrapeChannel 36 on Mobile Device Landscrape

Channel 751 on Mobile Device PortraitChannel 751 on Mobile Device Portrait

Channel 751 on Mobile Device LandscapeChannel 751 on Mobile Device Landscape

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@kklee  Thanks very much!  Okay, this confirms that Rogers is getting a 4:3 SD feed for both of these channels from Fairchild and they seem to be processing it correctly... at least for Mobile.  The big remaining question is, why are your TVs displaying channels 36 and 751 differently?

@CommunityHelps  We need to double-check that the encoders and back-end config are the same for both of these channels.

If Rogers can also do a temporary Flex Channel swap for me, I can then at least confirm whether or not the channels display correctly on my TVs.  (I know from past experience that they display 4:3 SD channels correctly.)

@kklee  If there's no problem with the Ignite back-end config and the channels display correctly on my TVs, then it would point to something on your side... and I'll then be at a loss as to how to fix it; perhaps @57  can assist further depending on how the final troubleshooting goes.  (Also, could you please check the label on the bottom of your set-top boxes?  What model(s) do you have?  Xi6-A or Xi6-T?)

Thanks!

kklee
I plan to stick around

I'll appreciate if somebody could verify it but I have visited a Rogers store and the staff got the same problem on the TV in the store.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@kklee wrote:

I have visited a Rogers store and the staff got the same problem on the TV in the store.

Thanks.  Interesting.  Well, the source feeds appear to be in the same format and Channel 751 displays correctly on your TV (and in the store as well??) ... so, what's different about Channel 36?  Rogers still has some work to do to investigate this issue on their end.

Hey @kklee!

If you haven't already had it done by one of our tech support agents, we should escalate a ticket to ensure that this is getting looked into now that it's been confirmed to be happening in multiple locations.

Please PM us @CommunityHelps and we'll work together towards an answer. 🙂

Regards,

RogersCorey

kklee
I plan to stick around

Don't know what the process is but please escalate to Rogers Support to open a ticket to get the problem fixed. Thanks.

@kklee

I would need to open your account first before I could escalate this ticket. Please work with us so we can resolve this issue for you. 

If you're not familiar with our PMing process, you can find instructions here.

Regards,

RogersCorey

kklee
I plan to stick around

I sent a Private Message to @CommunityHelps requesting to open a ticket. Please advise the next step. Thanks.

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

My WILD guess is channel 36 has the AFD flag encoded at the source, while 751 does not., the mobile platform aka the ignite mobile app appears to ignore this flag and displays it as 4:3, but the ignite set top box recognizes this flag and displays the signal as 16:9.

as to why one channel has it and the other does not, its probably a source provider issue so fairchilds TV's issue.

Guys I seen this before on Italian channel. if it works the same way on Rogers lab TV as yours its likely a source issue. go ahead and open a ticket tho, let them escalate it to the source provider, usually these people are unaware of any issues so good to bring it up for once

temp10
I've been here awhile

I just switched to Ignite and have the same issue. When I watch the programs it is squished with black bars on the top and bottom of the screen. But then when it goes to commercial, some commercials are squished more then others, but then some commercials are in full screen (no black bars). Is that what's happening on yours?

Good evening @temp10,

Welcome to Rogers Community Forums!

Thanks for posting to the Community. I can understand the inconveniences this may cause you.

Have you already set Auto Zoom to "none" on your TV set? I'm assuming that the Fairchild TV East broadcast to fill the TV screen on the Ignite TV platform. 

To further assist, we'll need more information from you. When did you first notice the issue?

Looking forward to your reply!

RogersMaude

temp10
I've been here awhile

My AutoZoom is set to "full" which is fine for all my other channels. The option on my TV are full, zoom and zoom wide. I just had ignite TV installed last week, which is when I started noticing the issue.

Hello, @temp10.

Have you had a chance to browse this thread? OP, @kklee, wants the channels to display in 4:3 format. However, it's always displayed fullscreen for them. 

Since the default settings of AutoZoom at full on your TV displays a 4:3 format, what happens when you try the zoom or zoom wide options?

Feel free to upload the screenshots of the display at different zoom settings so the Community can share their expertise. 

Cheers,
RogersMoin

Topic Stats
  • 57 replies
  • 12 Likes
  • 12 in conversation