cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Enable Guest Mode on Ignite TV Modem/Router

jj59
I plan to stick around

How to enable guest mode on new rogers Ignite TV modem/router?

**Labels Added**

100 REPLIES 100

Re: Enable Guest Mode on Ignite TV Modem/Router

@SonnyTheMoney  Welcome to the Community!

FYI, others have asked for this feature as well: https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Ignite-TV/Enable-Guest-Mode-on-Ignite-TV-Modem-Router/m-p/4526...

Comcast, unfortunately, will probably never implement guest WiFi networks on the XB6.  Instead, they enable public WiFi hotspots on their customers' XB6 gateways that guests can use for Internet connectivity.

CrimsonTiger
I've been here awhile
-G-

Is there a thread or link on how to add/configure that second router into the XB6? Just got my CGM4141 and impressed so far but guest control would be helpful. Intermediate networking knowledge here, so hopefully not having to flash the second unit?

Cgarnis
I've been here awhile
Has this been fixed yet?

Cgarnis
I've been here awhile
Is this still an issue a year later?

jj59
I plan to stick around
Yes! My building just installed Bell fibre to my unit and I’m seriously considering switching.

Don_Ca
I'm a senior contributor
It has not changed. However Covid has, so I suspect your need for Guest wifi has dropped at bit with fewer guests.

CrimsonTiger
I've been here awhile
Not really... I mean, yes COVID means fewer guests. But it won't last forever, and restrictions will eventually ease. Even if we just keep our group to inlaws and family visiting, there are still tweens and teens visiting I'd prefer to keep out of my network files. Not that they're malicious, but generally curiousity overcomes respect for privacy...

jj59
I plan to stick around
Of course I don’t have guests now but that doesn’t mean I don’t need the functionality. An acceptable alternative would also simply be for them to fully deactivate wifi so that I can use my own router without signal or other compatibility issues. Currently signals remain active even if you place it into bridge mode.

FYI, we do not have Guest WiFi on the XB6 because Comcast implemented a different solution for their customers: Xfinity WiFi Home Hotspots

The advantage with their approach is that guests' network traffic goes out on a different logical connection from the customer's Internet traffic, so Comcast can track it separately and guest traffic does not get counted in a customer's data usage.

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/help-guests-get-online

It is also possible that something might be changing in Comcast-land because come December 17, 2020, Xfinity WiFi On Demand passes will no longer be available for purchase.   That would mean no guest WiFi for non-Comcast customers.

I don't know why they are doing this.  Perhaps the WiFi passes were not the cash cow that they had hoped it would be... or... they are just closing a loophole where Comcast customers started using free Xfinity WiFi passes when they hit their data caps... or... perhaps Comcast has buckled from all the pressure and will FINALLY allow their users (and their Cable Co customers' customers) to just simply configure a separate Guest WiFi network.

intcountzero
I plan to stick around

Does the rogers gateway XB6 modem have the ability to create a guest network? There is an option on the app to categorize devices, but it does essentially nothing.

I wish to assign it a different SSID, UN and PW. Is this possible? How if so?

@intcountzero : Your post was probably moved to this existing thread on the topic. It is not possible as outlined in earlier posts.

randomthoughts2
I plan to stick around

Still very disappointed that there is no guest network available with a different SSID/Password on Ignite, when there is on regular Rogers.

jj59
I plan to stick around
Nope you can’t do this yet.

all4
I've been here awhile
Hi
After a year still Rogers could not realized that this option is needed on the Modem/Router!?

Re: Enable Guest Mode on Ignite Modem/Router

jj59
I plan to stick around
Yep, my building just got bell pure fibre. Seriously considering switching for that 1.5Gb speed. At least they offer a system that does what people want plus guest mode for when we can have guests again.

Don_Ca
I'm a senior contributor
I doubt Rogers has any control over it. It would be Comcast that makes this decision. Rogers bought the Comcast product and Comcast does all the updates and makes the design decisions. Rogers can request features, but word is that Comcast is VERY difficult to deal with.

jj59
I plan to stick around
Well sounds like someone made a stupid business decision and it’s going to start costing them customers.

Bplayer
I'm a trusted contributor

It's been like this for years now, so it is not "going to start costing" them anything. Comcast had a practical strategy for it, but did not follow through. Rogers inherited this limitation and will be unlikely to change it on their own.

Those who must have a Guest Mode can install a secondary router. Not a make or break situation.

jj59
I plan to stick around
It’s not as simple as that as there are many configurations not supported by Rogers so if you don’t have the technical knowhow or just want a simple setup and it should work than Rogers is not for you.

Eddiepet
I plan to stick around

Glad I thought to look for this answer just before pulling the trigger on an "upgrade" to Ignite.  Not having a network for guests is not an upgrade, it's a liability.  No sale.  Putting the new modem into bridge mode so you can run your own network kills off the wireless set top boxes, so again, that's not the upgrade it's made out to be.  No sale.   Thanks to all the contributors.

Bplayer
I'm a trusted contributor

@EddiepetYou do not have to put the Ignite router into bridge mode to use a second router for guest mode or IOT devices that you would like separate from your primary network. I repurposed an old router that I had sitting around for this purpose. No changes to the primary and everything works fine.

You can pickup a perfectly suitable used ASUS router for under $50.

Topic Stats