cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Duplicate channels

seahaggish
I've been here awhile

Many of my Ignite TV channels are duplicated but seem to have the same attributes - both HD, for example. FX is 15 and 95. What is the difference? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Duplicate channels

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yes, there are lots of duplicate channels.  There is no difference.  There are several reasons for the duplication.

1. Many older people were used to channel numbers from the analogue cable TV days many years ago - channels 2-69 or so.  Rogers have kept those mostly the same for people used to those channel numbers.  See link below:

https://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Television_Frequencies

2. When Rogers brought out the HD channels about 20 years ago, most of them were in the 500 channel range.

3. When more and more channels became HD, the 100 channels in the 500 range were not enough.

4. The channels are now often grouped into "themes" such as news, children's, movies, time-shifting, education, French, multi-cultural, sports, music, 4K, etc, so that's why you'll find there are often duplicated channels.

This duplication does not require any extra bandwidth - the channels are simply "mapped" to different places "on the dial."

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yes, there are lots of duplicate channels.  There is no difference.  There are several reasons for the duplication.

1. Many older people were used to channel numbers from the analogue cable TV days many years ago - channels 2-69 or so.  Rogers have kept those mostly the same for people used to those channel numbers.  See link below:

https://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Television_Frequencies

2. When Rogers brought out the HD channels about 20 years ago, most of them were in the 500 channel range.

3. When more and more channels became HD, the 100 channels in the 500 range were not enough.

4. The channels are now often grouped into "themes" such as news, children's, movies, time-shifting, education, French, multi-cultural, sports, music, 4K, etc, so that's why you'll find there are often duplicated channels.

This duplication does not require any extra bandwidth - the channels are simply "mapped" to different places "on the dial."

thefrenchs
I plan to stick around

And just so Rogers can say they give us lots of channels - but they don't really as so many are just duplicated. And many have rubbish on them.

ReneHache
I plan to stick around

This is why when I channel surf, I start at channel 100, since 2-99 are legacy duplications.

Also what happen to channel 1, Your World This Week (YWTW)? It one of the few channels that wasn't added to Ignite when I upgrade, at the time it was only on Digital TV, now it seen to be completely gone.

mebe
I'm a trusted contributor
Your World This Week promo channel is still available with Digital Legacy TV (ch. 1 and 59), so I'm surprised you can't find it on IgniteTV.

Have you tried a voice-command search for it? If you still can't find the channel, go to the Guide and see if there's a way to make it appear by changing a Guide setting.

Sincerely,
Pro Moe

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Although a voice command for "Your World This Week" doesn't seem to find the channel, channels 1 and 59 are available on IgniteTV.  They seem to be promo channels for certain progamming that you may like?  I have never looked at those channels.

ReneHache
I plan to stick around

I may beleive that YWTW probably no longer available here in New-Brunswick, or at least in my specific area, I remember one day that I was at my mom's place and she no longer had YWTW either and she is still on Digital TV.
It's not a big deal, it's just that I used to watch it back in the days (before I got Ignite TV) to new movies announcement, and there was a banner at the bottom that tell what channels was in Free Preview. I also remember checking the PPV preview channel, for new movies trailers. Those were great channels when you had nothing else to watch.
Don't worry, I'm just a weird and awkward person/nerd with autism, lol, I like weird stuff sometime. 😉

Topic Stats
  • 6 replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 5 in conversation