cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Downloading Content onto a Computer with Ignite TV

vm13
I've been around

Can we download a saved program into a computer?  We can't download the ignite tv app, so I don't see my library.

Thanks

Valdemar

**Labels Added**

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Downloading Content onto a Computer with Ignite TV

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@vm13 wrote:

Can we download a saved program into a computer?  We can't download the ignite tv app, so I don't see my library.

1. You cannot use "download and go" with a computer. You can only stream in the browser as indicated by @KobiC in the post above by going to: https://ignitetv.rogers.com/

Once you are logged in you click "Saved - Recordings" to see your recordings.

2.  You can only stream in Canada and not outside Canada.  Some channels cannot be streamed outside of your home, but those you can stream outside your home are indicated in the App or browser as "Live TV - TV Go Channels."

3. Why do you say you cannot download the IgniteTV App?  Do you not have a phone or tablet?  You don't download the app to a computer, you use the browser link previously provided and login that way.

4. Download and Go is described in the link below:

https://www.rogers.com/support/tv/how-to-use-download-and-go-with-ignite-tv

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

KobiC
I plan to stick around

Hi Vm, 

What do you mean by a Download a "saved program"?

If I could take a guess, it sounds like you want to know how to watch ignite tv on a computer?

-Simply go to the link below and login with your Rogers account username and password. https://ignitetv.rogers.com

-Alternatively download the Ignite TV app to access live tv from a smartphone or tablet

Keep in mind in order to access live tv online you must be an ignite tv subscriber.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@vm13 wrote:

1. You cannot use "download and go" with a computer. You can only stream in the browser as indicated by @KobiC in the post above by going to: https://ignitetv.rogers.com/

Once you are logged in you click "Saved - Recordings" to see your recordings.

2.  You can only stream in Canada and not outside Canada.  Some channels cannot be streamed outside of your home, but those you can stream outside your home are indicated in the App or browser as "Live TV - TV Go Channels."

3. Why do you say you cannot download the IgniteTV App?  Do you not have a phone or tablet?  You don't download the app to a computer, you use the browser link previously provided and login that way.

4. Download and Go is described in the link below:

https://www.rogers.com/support/tv/how-to-use-download-and-go-with-ignite-tv

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I downloaded a programme to my iPad and I noticed that it's "available" for 30 days.  I see from the following link that after the 30 days the programme "expires".  Does this mean the programme is returned to my cloud recordings and is accessible from my IgniteTV boxes, or does the programme "go into the ether" and is deleted from my cloud recordings?

https://www.rogers.com/support/tv/faqs-about-the-ignite-tv-app#how-long-are-my-downloads-available-o...

How long are my downloads available on my device?

Downloads are available for 30 days, after which time they expire.

dnsvideo
I plan to stick around

I once asked on a Phone with Rogers call how I could get a program I recorded and Put it on my computer, and they said it is against copyright to do that.  I say why do I see all kinds of TV content on Youtube with commentary from people other than those in the tv Program that they are commenting on?

mebe
I'm a trusted contributor

You don't own the content you recorded, but you can keep it for up to a year until it gets deleted.

If you buy something digitally from various sources, you can keep it on your computer and watch it whenever you want. However, some purchased digital copies stored in the cloud can still be deleted if the seller decides to. You would get a warning to transfer the content to wherever it needs to go, so that it's not lost (but there's no real guarantee that your purchase will be saved forever).
People illegally upload entire movies, tv shows and music to youtube and other sites, every single day. Youtube tracks the illegal copyright violations and deletes them as fast as it can. Quite often, so as to avoid the youtube trackers, content is mirror reversed, which makes it less likely that the content will be deleted quickly. Commentary videos generally just show brief clips of copyrighted content, so that stuff is often allowed.

The dirty little secret is that it's much easier to wait for others to upload copyrighted material, than it often is to waste the time doing it yourself. Not to mention that it's naughty behavior and could get you thrown in the slammer.

The pirates use capturing software, or simply use programs to snatch the content from the actual channel websites, faster than you could watch it.

When it comes to piracy, it's more interesting to see what the pirates skip, or are late to upload, rather than what they actually upload (which far outnumbers what they don't upload).

Sharing is caring, but if you share copyrighted material, you might end up sharing a cell, or at least parting with some of your money.

You have the right to remain silent ... But don't copy those rights, unless you get permission from the right people. 👮🚔

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@dnsvideo wrote:

1.. I once asked on a Phone with Rogers call how I could get a program I recorded and Put it on my computer, and they said it is against copyright to do that. 

2. I say why do I see all kinds of TV content on Youtube with commentary from people other than those in the tv Program that they are commenting on?

1. There are ways to pirate programming, but it is not a simple matter. Copyright holders and service providers who must adhere to copyright make it difficult. This is especially true with IgniteTV which only has an HDMI output. 

Years ago, some people built Hauppauge HTPCs that took advantage of the "analogue hole" using component video and some form of audio to make recordings off their PVRs, but that analogue hole has mostly closed. Theoretically you could use an HDMI to Component Video device connected to an Hauppauge HTPC, however, it normally isn't worth it since a lot of content can be easily purchased or found on the web for viewing.

2. Because people are breaking the law.  They don't usually end up in jail as mentioned by @mebe , however, there can be fines and content owners can make your life miserable if you do it enough.  If you use it for your own purposes and don't make money, they are unlikely to come after you, however, these days with content available all over the web, it's usually unnecessary for people to set up their own Hauppauge HTPCs or other devices for this purpose.

dnsvideo
I plan to stick around

Yes you can put copyright material up on Youtube, it is fair use if comment on it

Topic Stats
  • 7 replies
  • 5 Likes
  • 5 in conversation