cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do we need a wifi connection once we are hardwired in with the XiONE box?

Lyphe416
I plan to stick around

I have the new XiONE box and initially set it up using wifi, but switched it to hardwired after initial install.  The settings on my XiONE box confirm 'ethernet' as the connection, although it also still shows the small wifi signal at the top right.  I know it is supposed to choose ethernet automatically when plugged in and working, but some oddities in recent behavior make me wonder if the wifi occasionally tries to take over ( images not all loading ... a freeze during a movie ).

Point being - does anyone know if we can cut off the box from wifi as long as the ethernet is plugged in ( my modem is in bridge mode, and I can block the tv box on my eero wifi app )?  I don't want to turn it off and accidentally cause connection issues.  I'm sure it's fine, but thought I'd ask first in case anyone knows just to be safe.

Thx!

***Added Labels***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Do we need a wifi connection once we are hardwired in with the XiONE box?

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

When an Ignite set-top box is Ethernet-connected, it should use the wired connection for all data communications when it is streaming.

There is also a service (called LnF) that runs on the Ignite gateway that allows an Ignite set-top box to learn the Wi-Fi network name and passphrase that is configured on the gateway.  The Ignite STB will still contact that service periodically (via Wi-Fi to a hidden SSID on the gateway) even when it is Ethernet-connected.  The set-top box can also become unhappy if a Wi-Fi network (with those credentials) is unavailable or if the Wi-Fi network, that was configured into the STB, is different from the one that was configured in your Ignite gateway,

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Biollw
I'm a senior advisor

No, don't even need it when first set up nor when during normal wired operation. Just connect cat5 and go

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

When an Ignite set-top box is Ethernet-connected, it should use the wired connection for all data communications when it is streaming.

There is also a service (called LnF) that runs on the Ignite gateway that allows an Ignite set-top box to learn the Wi-Fi network name and passphrase that is configured on the gateway.  The Ignite STB will still contact that service periodically (via Wi-Fi to a hidden SSID on the gateway) even when it is Ethernet-connected.  The set-top box can also become unhappy if a Wi-Fi network (with those credentials) is unavailable or if the Wi-Fi network, that was configured into the STB, is different from the one that was configured in your Ignite gateway,

Lyphe416
I plan to stick around

Thanks for the detailed response, and I kinda assumed it wouldn't like losing the wifi for some reason, even if it was hardwired.  Your post explains and confirms that.  Ty.

TimP1
I've been here awhile

If we configure the Ignite modem in bridge mode, do you know if the hidden SSID remains on to enable the Ignite STB to periodically contact that service?  Or will the STB become unreliable and problematic if the modem is in bridge mode?  On a related note, I'm looking to pull two WAN IP addresses from Rogers, so I can have two WiFi routers (through a switch) connected to the modem in bridge mode - which is why I want the modem in bridge mode - will the XB7 modem support pulling two WAN IP addresses from the service provider?  Thanks in advance.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@TimP1 wrote:

If we configure the Ignite modem in bridge mode, do you know if the hidden SSID remains on to enable the Ignite STB to periodically contact that service?  Or will the STB become unreliable and problematic if the modem is in bridge mode?  On a related note, I'm looking to pull two WAN IP addresses from Rogers, so I can have two WiFi routers (through a switch) connected to the modem in bridge mode - which is why I want the modem in bridge mode - will the XB7 modem support pulling two WAN IP addresses from the service provider?  Thanks in advance.

It is possible to run Ignite TV using your own router and with the Ignite Gateway in Bridge Mode.  I even started a thread a few years ago with tips on how to do that.  That information is getting a bit dated but most tips still apply.  Just keep in mind that the Ignite set-top-boxes may or may not play nicely with your equipment.  Rogers (and Comcast) provide a turnkey TV/Internet solution; the Ignite set-top boxes were not designed to run using 3rd-party network gear and Rogers WILL NOT support you in this configuration.

When Bridge Mode is enabled, the Ignite Gateway will bridge the LAN and RF WAN ports.  However, it will also still have its internal services running, to support services such as Home Phone and other future Ignite services.  Since the Ignite Gateway still requires its own IP connectivity while in Bridge Mode, you can only connect one router, not two.

It is also important that you store the same Wi-Fi network name and passphrase in the Ignite Gateway that you use on your own network gear.  In Bridge Mode, the in-home Wi-Fi network will be disabled but the set-top boxes will still contact the LnF service on the gateway from time to time, and if the programmed Wi-Fi credentials differ from what you have configured in your own equipment, the Ignite set-top boxes may end up losing Wi-Fi connectivity... and if you have them Ethernet connected, they will still contact the LnF service from time to time to validate their Wi-Fi connectivity and if that fails, your TV service will glitch.  (When you are running in an unsupported configuration, you need to do what you need to do to keep the Ignite boxes happy.)

TimP1
I've been here awhile
Thank you. I’m thinking it’s perhaps less likely to be problematic to keep the router on in the gateway, turn off WiFi, and configure my two routers as two WAPs - that way it’ll sort of still look like I have two WiFi networks, and there’ll be no issues with the Rogers gear - and if there is, getting support should be no problem.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@TimP1  No problem.  By the way, I'm not saying that Ignite TV won't work with your network gear, just that the set-top boxes have some quirks that you need to be mindful of... and if you do run in Bridge Mode, you should have a fallback plan in place where you can switch to a Rogers-supported configuration when you do require tech support.

TimP1
I've been here awhile

Understood.  For me, if you cannot connect two routers (and pull two IP addresses from the service provider through a switch to have two completely separate LAN's), then I may as well use Ignite Gateway as a router, have it assign DHCP IP addresses to clients, configure any static LAN IP's needed (which I'm sure you can do in the Ignite Gateway correct?), and just turn off the WiFi and use my own Asus RT-AC87U and RT-AC68U as wireless access points rather than routers.  My motivation was primarily reliable WiFi, which in my experience, has generally been poor with both cable and telecom service providers when you use the WiFi that's integrated with the modem - compared with what I have found to be much more reliable WiFi with the Asus devices mentioned.  Maybe you have experience and an opinion please on the reliability of the Ignite Gateway WiFi?  Coverage is rarely an issue in my home, though it is important I don't have flaky WiFi drop-outs, etc.  I am open to discarding my Asus devices completely and going with the Ignite WiFi?  That said, sounds like I shouldn't change the default SSID in the Ignite Gateway, correct?  Or if I can, it's not recommended?  Would also be nice to have a separate network for guests, as I do now with the Asus setup described - can that be done with the Ignite Gateway?  Appreciate your experience and opinions -G-.

Topic Stats
  • 8 replies
  • 5 Likes
  • 4 in conversation