cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do we need a wifi connection once we are hardwired in with the XiONE box?

Lyphe416
I Plan to Stick Around

I have the new XiONE box and initially set it up using wifi, but switched it to hardwired after initial install.  The settings on my XiONE box confirm 'ethernet' as the connection, although it also still shows the small wifi signal at the top right.  I know it is supposed to choose ethernet automatically when plugged in and working, but some oddities in recent behavior make me wonder if the wifi occasionally tries to take over ( images not all loading ... a freeze during a movie ).

Point being - does anyone know if we can cut off the box from wifi as long as the ethernet is plugged in ( my modem is in bridge mode, and I can block the tv box on my eero wifi app )?  I don't want to turn it off and accidentally cause connection issues.  I'm sure it's fine, but thought I'd ask first in case anyone knows just to be safe.

Thx!

***Added Labels***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Do we need a wifi connection once we are hardwired in with the XiONE box?

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

When an Ignite set-top box is Ethernet-connected, it should use the wired connection for all data communications when it is streaming.

There is also a service (called LnF) that runs on the Ignite gateway that allows an Ignite set-top box to learn the Wi-Fi network name and passphrase that is configured on the gateway.  The Ignite STB will still contact that service periodically (via Wi-Fi to a hidden SSID on the gateway) even when it is Ethernet-connected.  The set-top box can also become unhappy if a Wi-Fi network (with those credentials) is unavailable or if the Wi-Fi network, that was configured into the STB, is different from the one that was configured in your Ignite gateway,

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Biollw
I'm an Advisor

No, don't even need it when first set up nor when during normal wired operation. Just connect cat5 and go

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

When an Ignite set-top box is Ethernet-connected, it should use the wired connection for all data communications when it is streaming.

There is also a service (called LnF) that runs on the Ignite gateway that allows an Ignite set-top box to learn the Wi-Fi network name and passphrase that is configured on the gateway.  The Ignite STB will still contact that service periodically (via Wi-Fi to a hidden SSID on the gateway) even when it is Ethernet-connected.  The set-top box can also become unhappy if a Wi-Fi network (with those credentials) is unavailable or if the Wi-Fi network, that was configured into the STB, is different from the one that was configured in your Ignite gateway,

Lyphe416
I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks for the detailed response, and I kinda assumed it wouldn't like losing the wifi for some reason, even if it was hardwired.  Your post explains and confirms that.  Ty.

Topic Stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 3 in conversation