cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Distorted Picture on IgniteTV

JohnR1
I've been here awhile

We have just had Ignite TV installed and our main set is an old Panasonic model and not a flat screen. The image on screen is distorted - stretched too tall and out of proportion. Is there a way to get a letterbox format the way our old Gateway had it? It should be possible, but how?

**Labels Added**

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Distorted Picture on IgniteTV

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@JohnR1 What is the exact model number of this TV?  You can try the following:

Rogers - Settings - Device Settings - Video Display - Zoom - None instead of Full.

You should also check the stretch/aspect modes in your TV if the above doesn't fix the issue.  The TV may be doing the incorrect aspect.   Check out the following FAQ on that topic and make sure you're not on the "zoom" option.

https://www.digitalhome.ca/threads/faq-widescreen-tv-stretch-modes.76074/

TVs usually remember the settings on a per-input basis, so if you're using a different input on the TV, that may be the source of the issue as well. 

Are you using an HDMI connection or do you have an adaptor in play?

JohnR1
I've been here awhile

Hi and thanks for the reply. I tried changing the zoom setting - no difference. I also tried restarting the Ignite box with no result. The TV is connected through an adapter (from Rogers) as it only accepts RCA connectors.  It's an old Panasonic GAOO from 1995 and still works. It's in a cabinet and is super heavy, so I can't see the model number. The set up in the manual doesn't cover the stretch mode. Is aspect ratio relevant? I'll try wading through the link you sent to see if there is anything there. I appreciate your help.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@JohnR1 wrote:

Hi and thanks for the reply. I tried changing the zoom setting - no difference. I also tried restarting the Ignite box with no result. The TV is connected through an adapter (from Rogers) as it only accepts RCA connectors.  It's an old Panasonic GAOO from 1995 and still works. It's in a cabinet and is super heavy, so I can't see the model number. The set up in the manual doesn't cover the stretch mode. Is aspect ratio relevant? I'll try wading through the link you sent to see if there is anything there. I appreciate your help.

I think you are stuck.  The Ignite TV set-top boxes were designed to run on widescreen TVs with HDMI inputs; your TV was from the VCR era, and predated the earliest DVD players -- it was never designed to display widescreen content.  The HDMI-to-Composite adapter that Rogers provided you was meant to be used on early widescreen TVs, without HDMI inputs, and I don't think that there is any way to adjust the output to display on a 4:3 TV.

I have one of those HDMI-to-Composite adapters.  I will see if there is anything that can be done to get things to display correctly on your old TV... but I think that it is time to consider upgrading to current technology.

JohnR1
I've been here awhile

Thanks again. Much appreciated. The transition to Ignite was upsetting enough - change to the TV technology will have to wait.

JohnR1
I've been here awhile

Thanks again. I'll just use this forum to vent regarding the whole transition to Ignite TV. First of all, I can't believe it when a Rogers rep. told me that everyone with their old technology will have to change at some point. Do they include a bill insert to let people know? Also, I think someone (i.e., an installer) should have warned me that I could never go back to the previous compatible technology. The picture is still distorted, the channel numbers from all the old familiar channels numbers have changed (and not shown in our newspapers TV Guide) and the formatting for the guide and saved programs is not as clear as before. Why constantly mess with something that works? All I wanted was a more reliable wifi hub. To do a wholesale change to my 2 old school (and working well) tv's seems not only wasteful, but environmentally irresponsible. Finally, we're seniors and to impose this sort of thing on seniors who may not be as comfortable with new technology is unforgiveable. I hope someone from Rogers reads this - we are not happy.   

wayner92
I'm a senior contributor

I don't receive a paper bill anymore but I received at least two letters from Rogers warning that my cable boxes would be deactivated as of April 30.  Plus I received emails.

Regarding your TV - try to see if you can get a cheap widescreen TV.  They are very cheap these days and people sometimes throw out old ones.  You can probably by a used one very cheaply.

IMO the new guide is far superior to the old guide and is much cleaner looking and more visually appealing.  I had old boxes like the SA8300HD and the graphics looked like they were from 1980s TV.

By the way, I am not a young'un.  I am 59 myself, so you don't have to be young to understand this stuff.

Topic Stats
  • 6 replies
  • 5 Likes
  • 4 in conversation