Disney+ App

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Disney+ App

Just to point out, Rogers did attempt to build an IPTV type of system for the older Nextboxes.  The result was a $500 million dollar write off and a move to the current Comcast IPTV system known as Ignite TV.  Good try, no cigar as they say.  

Bek1957
I've Been Around

At the end of the day the technology behind this does not matter. I pay for a service and would just like a date when Rogers will make this available or that they will not. Simple question to the business, when and if it will be available.
Wsbrown
I've Been Here Awhile

I finally gave up and bought a Roku
dEhiNdEhiN
I've Been Here Awhile

That's not true - the technology behind it does matter in this case. The whole point is that Rogers *can't* give an exact date or even a yes/no, since they are using a tech developed and maintained by another company. So, if that company makes a specific service available on their platform, then Rogers will have that service available to give to us. If that other company hasn't or won't make a specific service available, then Rogers can't possibly give an exact date or even a yes/no, apart from perhaps communicating with that other company to get an answer to your question from them.

So, if you absolutely need Disney+, then at this point, you'll have to find another way to play it on your TV. There are other options besides abandoning IgniteTV, unless overall you believe that another service like Roku will fit all your needs better. But, if what IgniteTV generally offers is sufficient, except for this one app, then get an HDMI chord and plug a laptop to the TV. Or, buy Chromecast and cast it from your laptop, tablet, or phone.
SpeedyC
I'm a Reliable Contributor

I bought a Nvidia SHIELD TV when I had the older Nextbox 2 PVR.

I just switched to Ignite TV, and was happy to see Netflix, YouTube and Prime Video available as Ignite TV apps.

Hopefully Disney+ will be available on Ignite TV soon, but until then I can also access all apps on SHIELD TV.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The Disney+ app has been available on the X1 platform for over two months now but I still don't see any signs of it coming to Ignite TV.  (The "Disney+" voice command returns search results for Disney content.  When Rogers starts testing the app internally, I would expect to see an APPS-04154 error.)

FYI, Comcast now has a Disney+ info page: https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/disney-plus-on-x1-flex

One thing that surprised me is their app cannot stream 4K content; only HD.  I don't know why.

NateSomers
I've Been Around

2021, over a year into the pandemic and still no Disney+ on Rogers... sad. They need to push Disney harder to get integration and they'd lose less customers to Bell.

Don_Ca
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Rogers has very little clout when dealing with Disney.  At least the application is now available for the platform, but Rogers still needs to make a deal.  

dEhiNdEhiN
I've Been Here Awhile

I don't get those complaining or saying how it's sad because it's been over a year, or that Rogers really needs to get on it! Rogers already has struck deals with Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, Tubi, Amazon Prime Music and several other streaming services! Disney+ is the newest kid on the block compared to the other big streaming platforms and for goodness sake, only came out on November 2019! Give me a break all you complainers! If Bell or some other telecom here in Canada has already struck a deal, and if you NEED Disney+ access via your IPTV service, then go with the other telecom. But if instead, like the rest of us, you're able to wait the little bit of extra time it might take Rogers to strike the deals they need to, and in the meanwhile, use Netflix and Prime Video and whatever other smaller services they have, then just do that and stop complaining. Or, third option: stop calling the fact that the easiest route you'd like to take to access your Disney+ subscription not being available sad, and just buy a cord to hook up your laptop to the TV or cast from your phone or use the "half dozen" other connection methods our technology allows us these days.