cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disney+ App

TRD2300GT
I've been around

hi everyone

Does anyone know if Rogers will have an App to view Disney+, the same way is have a Netflix App?

***Edited Labels***

58 REPLIES 58

Re: Disney+ App

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Don_Ca wrote:
Rogers has very little to do with that is available. It is up to Comcast in the US to do something. Rogers licensed the entire platform from them and has very little to do with what apps are available.

That's certainly true of the software platform and hardware that Ignite TV is based on.  When it comes to Apps, things get more complicated.  The Netflix, YouTube and Prime Video apps were all developed by Netflix, Google and Amazon respectively, and they worked cooperatively with Comcast to bring their apps to the X1 platform.  Disney would have to so the same, and they would also take (VERY swift) legal action against anybody who even tried to develop an unauthorized, unsanctioned Disney+ app independently of them and block it from accessing their streaming platform.  That leaves it to Disney to develop the required app, and they would also have to want to bring it to the X1 platform and work with Comcast bring it to fruition.  Unfortunately, Disney (and their subsidiaries) and Comcast have not had the most harmonious business relationship, especially when it comes to channel/content licensing, and any ongoing private backroom spats carry over to other parts of the business, on both sides.

Disney and Comcast seem to have figured out a way to work together when it comes to Hulu, and a Hulu app is available on X1, so it is promising that we will see a Disney+ app in the not-too-distant future.  However, until Comcast X1 appears on Disney's What Devices and Platforms are Supported by Disney+? list, you (most likely) will not see a Disney+ app on Ignite TV... and we will see press releases from all companies involved before that happens.

Aitch
I've been around

I was told, just 2 days ago, that I would be able to access Disney+ thru their apps (as long as I had a subscription)......and surprise, surprise....nope, not an option.  I'm so annoyed that employees flat out lie just to get the 'sale'. I would have been ok with, no you can't access it.....but to get my hopes up like that it uncalled for!

pmacpherson68
I plan to stick around

Some good news!  Looks like Disney has signed an agreement with Comcast to add X1 apps to the Xfinity services - which means we should be theoretically seeing it not long after it has been integrated in the US.   They are saying it should happen in the first quarter of 2021.   For more info, heres the link:  https://whatsondisneyplus.com/comcast-to-launch-disney-espn-on-xfinity-platforms/ 

My kids want to watch the Mandalorian, but can't because we subscribe to Rogers.

Rogers knows this is a big problem for many of their customers, and they've done nothing.

This is so frustrating. Rogers just doesn't care about us.

@harryadamidis wrote:

My kids want to watch the Mandalorian, but can't because we subscribe to Rogers.

Rogers knows this is a big problem for many of their customers, and they've done nothing.

This is so frustrating. Rogers just doesn't care about us.

I can understand your frustration but it's unfair to blame Rogers for this.  Ignite TV is Rogers' implementation of Comcast's Xfinity TV service, and Comcast customers are still waiting for a Disney+ app because it has taken Comcast and Disney this long to agree on business terms that would bring this app to fruition.

According to this press release, a Disney+ app will be coming to Xfinity TV and Xfinity Flex in Q1, 2021.  I don't know how soon this Disney+ X1 app could be made available on Ignite TV and Ignite SmartStream.  If the app development is already complete, then it's possible that Rogers could offer it even sooner.  The Disney/Comcast deal is inherently more complex since it involves changes to channel carriage and bundling in Comcast territories.

Wsbrown
I've been here awhile
I ended up buying a Roku. Can’t wait for Rogers

harryadamidis
I've been here awhile

When you think about how much we pay to Rogers and how little we get back, you realize how poorly things are managed in Canada.

It's the lack of real choice that allows big telecoms to charge high prices and give so little in return.

Where does this leave us? We have to research ways to work around ROGERS to watch the programming we want.

We might get Disney+ in Q1 of 2021? Or, we might get nothing. It's all just words. At this rate, my kids will grown and in their own homes before this gets resolved.

dartvader
I've been here awhile

For me I put my ignite through my Xbox. Xbox has the Disney+ App and the Apple Tv App.

@harryadamidis wrote:

When you think about how much we pay to Rogers and how little we get back, you realize how poorly things are managed in Canada.

It's the lack of real choice that allows big telecoms to charge high prices and give so little in return.

Where does this leave us? We have to research ways to work around ROGERS to watch the programming we want.

We might get Disney+ in Q1 of 2021? Or, we might get nothing. It's all just words. At this rate, my kids will grown and in their own homes before this gets resolved.

If you bothered to read this thread at all, a Rogers Community Residential Expert has written at least thrice how the third party apps available on the Rogers Ignite platform aren't up to Rogers at all! Would you rather that Rogers spent time and money developing their own proprietary IPTV platform, which could potentially mean we pay even more since they will then be solely responsible for all hardware and software issues? They would also have to individually secure deals with all third party streaming services to have them develop apps for Rogers' proprietary service. As it is, when new third party apps ARE added on, Rogers doesn't increase its pricing because now more content is being offered. Seriously, unless you're like 18 with little kids, you should remember the days when the concept of IPTV, let alone a one-stop shop for all our streaming service needs was as fantastical as the technology first shown on Star Trek.

I'm not saying Rogers doesn't have their faults. All companies do, and you're right in that in Canada, there are really only a small handful of major telecom players who do basically monopolize the industry. That's unfortunately why some years ago, when several smaller wireless service providers entered the market, they ended up all being bought out by the big guys. You also get situations like the user in this thread who complained of a Rogers salesperson outright lying to them and telling them they would have Disney+ accessibility in 2 days. Those are things all within Rogers control and the company can and should be faulted for or questioned on. But, expecting Ignite TV to provide you with access to every single streaming service you desire and have an account for is just your first world privilege showing. 

Just to point out, Rogers did attempt to build an IPTV type of system for the older Nextboxes.  The result was a $500 million dollar write off and a move to the current Comcast IPTV system known as Ignite TV.  Good try, no cigar as they say.  

Bek1957
I've been around
At the end of the day the technology behind this does not matter. I pay for a service and would just like a date when Rogers will make this available or that they will not. Simple question to the business, when and if it will be available.

Wsbrown
I've been here awhile
I finally gave up and bought a Roku

dEhiNdEhiN
I've been here awhile
That's not true - the technology behind it does matter in this case. The whole point is that Rogers *can't* give an exact date or even a yes/no, since they are using a tech developed and maintained by another company. So, if that company makes a specific service available on their platform, then Rogers will have that service available to give to us. If that other company hasn't or won't make a specific service available, then Rogers can't possibly give an exact date or even a yes/no, apart from perhaps communicating with that other company to get an answer to your question from them.

So, if you absolutely need Disney+, then at this point, you'll have to find another way to play it on your TV. There are other options besides abandoning IgniteTV, unless overall you believe that another service like Roku will fit all your needs better. But, if what IgniteTV generally offers is sufficient, except for this one app, then get an HDMI chord and plug a laptop to the TV. Or, buy Chromecast and cast it from your laptop, tablet, or phone.

SpeedyC
I'm a reliable contributor

I bought a Nvidia SHIELD TV when I had the older Nextbox 2 PVR.

I just switched to Ignite TV, and was happy to see Netflix, YouTube and Prime Video available as Ignite TV apps.

Hopefully Disney+ will be available on Ignite TV soon, but until then I can also access all apps on SHIELD TV.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The Disney+ app has been available on the X1 platform for over two months now but I still don't see any signs of it coming to Ignite TV.  (The "Disney+" voice command returns search results for Disney content.  When Rogers starts testing the app internally, I would expect to see an APPS-04154 error.)

FYI, Comcast now has a Disney+ info page: https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/disney-plus-on-x1-flex

One thing that surprised me is their app cannot stream 4K content; only HD.  I don't know why.

NateSomers
I've been around

2021, over a year into the pandemic and still no Disney+ on Rogers... sad. They need to push Disney harder to get integration and they'd lose less customers to Bell.

Don_Ca
I'm a senior contributor

Rogers has very little clout when dealing with Disney.  At least the application is now available for the platform, but Rogers still needs to make a deal.  

dEhiNdEhiN
I've been here awhile

I don't get those complaining or saying how it's sad because it's been over a year, or that Rogers really needs to get on it! Rogers already has struck deals with Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, Tubi, Amazon Prime Music and several other streaming services! Disney+ is the newest kid on the block compared to the other big streaming platforms and for goodness sake, only came out on November 2019! Give me a break all you complainers! If Bell or some other telecom here in Canada has already struck a deal, and if you NEED Disney+ access via your IPTV service, then go with the other telecom. But if instead, like the rest of us, you're able to wait the little bit of extra time it might take Rogers to strike the deals they need to, and in the meanwhile, use Netflix and Prime Video and whatever other smaller services they have, then just do that and stop complaining. Or, third option: stop calling the fact that the easiest route you'd like to take to access your Disney+ subscription not being available sad, and just buy a cord to hook up your laptop to the TV or cast from your phone or use the "half dozen" other connection methods our technology allows us these days. 

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I have not heard any reports of the Disney+ X1 app being offered by any Canadian cable provider that uses Comcast's tech.  I have no idea what the reasons are for the delay in getting the app up here either.

FYI, looks like the X1 app may also have been rushed out.  It is still under development and a recent update finally allows for watching 4K content on Xi6 set-top boxes.

Is Disney+ in 4K?
4K content is available if you use the Disney+ app on X1 and have an Xi6 TV Box, or on Flex with an Xi6 streaming TV Box (along with a compatible 4K or 4K/HDR TV).

It's a safe bet that getting 4K support working is a higher priority for Comcast than adding support/localization for the Canadian market.

toolcubed
I'm a senior contributor

While I can appreciate that having Disney+ (and other streaming apps) all together on the Xi6 tv box together with Ignite TV is very convenient, especially with the all-in-one voice search functionality using the Ignite tv remote, there are other ways to get Disney+

If you have an Xbox One/X/S or a PS4/5, you can get Disney+ on those consoles and its performance is actually quite good.  You can also pickup a FireTV stick or a Roku stick fairly cheaply and have all of your streaming apps (+ 10s of 1000s more) together in one place...and those apps tend to work better on those devices in my opinion.

Topic Stats