Disabled WiFi on XB6 is getting enabled spontaneously

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Disabled WiFi on XB6 is getting enabled spontaneously

I'm still debating to switch from traditional cable to Ignite and the posting of customer problems for the past few months including this one worries me the stability of the infrastructure platform being very new.

I spoke to a Rogers Infrastructure Engineer neighbour who just happens to live down the street from me said that in his opinion that the Ignite platform was released to the public way too early but had to do it due to executive management pressure to get their ROI back from their investment and to keep up with Fibre competition options.

Overall, from the bucket listing of issues they are trying to tackle currently and issues that will creep up for future enhancements including the movement to newer\better modems and receivers, my neighbour indicated that they are forecasting it will take another five years before they can confidentially say they are out of the 'infant' stage of development with a stable platform and devices.

I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Disabled WiFi on XB6 is getting enabled spontaneously

@tdelios wrote:

I'm still debating to switch from traditional cable to Ignite and the posting of customer problems for the past few months including this one worries me the stability of the infrastructure platform being very new.

I spoke to a Rogers Infrastructure Engineer neighbour who just happens to live down the street from me said that in his opinion that the Ignite platform was released to the public way too early but had to do it due to executive management pressure to get their ROI back from their investment and to keep up with Fibre competition options.

Overall, from the bucket listing of issues they are trying to tackle currently and issues that will creep up for future enhancements including the movement to newer\better modems and receivers, my neighbour indicated that they are forecasting it will take another five years before they can confidentially say they are out of the 'infant' stage of development with a stable platform and devices.

I honestly don’t know what additional information you are hoping to get in this thread/topic.  If Rogers has any planned technology improvements or other enhancements to Ignite TV in the pipeline, they won't preannounce them here.

Sticking to this topic... Rogers rolled out a new/shiny feature and failed to catch some issues in their testing.  It happens.  Testing (and doing it well) is hard, and it requires experienced people with the right background and the right mindset.  For any problem that crops up after a release, all you can do is you fix it (as fast as possible), learn, and try to do better the next time.

Regarding the rollout of Ignite TV, all I can say is that things have come a long way over the past year.  The Xfinity platform itself is not new; Comcast has been developing it for years.  The Rogers implementation is somewhat unique and the technology was totally new to them, and this can be a challenge when doing the architecture and design of the core infrastructure and backend systems so that they will scale well when the footprint expands and the new customers come onboard.  Initially, when I tested Ignite TV in the store, I thought that the picture quality was awful.  That’s no longer the case.  Sure, I can nitpick and point out picture quality issues (mainly encoding issues in some situations, and I’ve posted about this elsewhere) and I also wish that some features had been implemented differently.  However, if I switch modes and don’t go out of my way to try to find problems, the picture quality looks fine and, more importantly, the service keeps getting better.

Getting back to the issue at hand when I created this thread, one of my "complaints" was that the level-1 tech support was not able to help; my call could not be escalated to the next level and a field tech got dispatched needlessly.  As far as I know, Rogers also does not have the equivalent of a Bell STITCH engineer to help resolve REALLY complex issues/cases.

As for whether or not you should switch to Ignite TV, I still strongly advise that you try the service out for yourself in the store.  Ignite TV works differently (especially the cloud PVR) than other (legacy) services, but this is the platform that Rogers has chosen... and it is what it is.  Every competitor’s TV offering (including Rogers Digital TV) has its pros and cons.  Pick what you like best.  So far, my experience with Ignite TV has generally been quite positive.  If your Rogers Internet connection works well and your home network works well, then the Ignite TV service should also work well.