Disabled WiFi on XB6 is getting enabled spontaneously

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Disabled WiFi on XB6 is getting enabled spontaneously

Question is, is there a solution to the problem?  I'm not hopeful after seeing the Ask the Expert response post.  Transmitting 7 or more SSIDs per modem is simply not a good idea.  Who the heck ever thought up this plan?  

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Datalink wrote:

Question is, is there a solution to the problem?  I'm not hopeful after seeing the Ask the Expert response post.  Transmitting 7 or more SSIDs per modem is simply not a good idea.  Who the heck ever thought up this plan?  

The Product Managers confirmed that one pair of 2.4 + 5 GHz SSIDs is used for Xi6 LnF.

My guess is that the WPA/WPA2 Enterprise SSIDs are used by Rogers for internal purposes.

In future, I suspect that they will be enabling additional SSIDs to support WiFi hotspots for Rogers customers.

The XB6 can also enable another WPA2 Enterprise SSID called "OutOfService" when it detects a problem.

As for solutions, since Rogers insists on silently overriding my settings and enabling more and more stuff on my XB6, I will be going to the store to buy some wire mesh for a Faraday cage.

I would MUCH rather be using a Technicolor TC4400 modem.

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yup, by the way, the 4400 has been approved for TPIA use on Rogers networks, cleared for use up to 1 Gb/s.  No news yet on DOCSIS 3.1 ops.  Looks like a firmware update would be required.  

As for the WiFi hotspots for Rogers customers, I really hope Rogers doesn't go down that path.  It hasn't gone over well for Shaw customers and if I remember correctly, Comcast users are terribly enamoured with the idea either.  Somehow, the idea of giving the neighbourhood access to your modem doesn't go over terribly well, even if there is in theory, a wall between the hotspot traffic and your traffic.  

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@-G- did you set different SSIDs for the modem and router to prevent any mobile devices from locking onto the modem instead of the router, and bypassing any traffic controls or filtering that you might be running in the router.  

Just rereading your previous comment "If I also ever see my own SSID suddenly  appear in the list of nearby networks, I know that something bad has happened on Rogers' side." it would appear that the modem and router has the same SSIDs set.  So, if the modem suddenly decides to fire up that same SSID and a mobile device decides to use the modem wifi instead of the router wifi, what about the firewall on the modem.  Its in Bridge mode, so, there shouldn't be any firewall.  So much for device protection.  This really requires some answers from the product manager. 

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Datalink wrote:

@-G- did you set different SSIDs for the modem and router to prevent any mobile devices from locking onto the modem instead of the router, and bypassing any traffic controls or filtering that you might be running in the router.  

Yes, that's exactly what I do.  I assign a distinctive SSID (like "Rogers54321") on the XB6 with a random passphrase.  Nothing has or ever will connect to it.  I then disable Wi-Fi and put the XB6 into Bridge Mode.

Every day, on my laptop, I look at all of the Wi-Fi networks that are beaconing in my area, the channels that they are using and their signal strengths.  If Wi-Fi ever gets fully enabled on my XB6, it sticks out like a sore thumb.

So, if the modem suddenly decides to fire up that same SSID and a mobile device decides to use the modem wifi instead of the router wifi, what about the firewall on the modem.  Its in Bridge mode, so, there shouldn't be any firewall.  So much for device protection.  This really requires some answers from the product manager. 

I don't know what state the firewall is in.  My hope is that it is still active to protect the ATA from a denial of service attack, or some other attack to the modem itself through any of the services that are still running.  It may or may not be active for the Wi-Fi interfaces.

I also worry about the new random hidden SSIDs that get activated when the XB6 gets put into this weird state.

At this point, I pretty much consider the XB6 a totally untrusted device.  As a rule, I can't trust any device that I don't have full control over... but even more so with the XB6 because its admin UI can tell me one thing about the device's state but my network tools tell me otherwise.  I also really, REALLY, REALLY don't like (or trust) any cloud-based admin tools for the same reason.

That said, I also have to give kudos to Rogers Tech Support.  Once I reported the problem, they got it fixed VERY quickly.