Disabled WiFi on XB6 is getting enabled spontaneously

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tdelios
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Disabled WiFi on XB6 is getting enabled spontaneously

I'm still debating to switch from traditional cable to Ignite and the posting of customer problems for the past few months including this one worries me the stability of the infrastructure platform being very new.

I spoke to a Rogers Infrastructure Engineer neighbour who just happens to live down the street from me said that in his opinion that the Ignite platform was released to the public way too early but had to do it due to executive management pressure to get their ROI back from their investment and to keep up with Fibre competition options.

Overall, from the bucket listing of issues they are trying to tackle currently and issues that will creep up for future enhancements including the movement to newer\better modems and receivers, my neighbour indicated that they are forecasting it will take another five years before they can confidentially say they are out of the 'infant' stage of development with a stable platform and devices.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@tdelios wrote:

I'm still debating to switch from traditional cable to Ignite and the posting of customer problems for the past few months including this one worries me the stability of the infrastructure platform being very new.

I spoke to a Rogers Infrastructure Engineer neighbour who just happens to live down the street from me said that in his opinion that the Ignite platform was released to the public way too early but had to do it due to executive management pressure to get their ROI back from their investment and to keep up with Fibre competition options.

Overall, from the bucket listing of issues they are trying to tackle currently and issues that will creep up for future enhancements including the movement to newer\better modems and receivers, my neighbour indicated that they are forecasting it will take another five years before they can confidentially say they are out of the 'infant' stage of development with a stable platform and devices.

I honestly don’t know what additional information you are hoping to get in this thread/topic.  If Rogers has any planned technology improvements or other enhancements to Ignite TV in the pipeline, they won't preannounce them here.

Sticking to this topic... Rogers rolled out a new/shiny feature and failed to catch some issues in their testing.  It happens.  Testing (and doing it well) is hard, and it requires experienced people with the right background and the right mindset.  For any problem that crops up after a release, all you can do is you fix it (as fast as possible), learn, and try to do better the next time.

Regarding the rollout of Ignite TV, all I can say is that things have come a long way over the past year.  The Xfinity platform itself is not new; Comcast has been developing it for years.  The Rogers implementation is somewhat unique and the technology was totally new to them, and this can be a challenge when doing the architecture and design of the core infrastructure and backend systems so that they will scale well when the footprint expands and the new customers come onboard.  Initially, when I tested Ignite TV in the store, I thought that the picture quality was awful.  That’s no longer the case.  Sure, I can nitpick and point out picture quality issues (mainly encoding issues in some situations, and I’ve posted about this elsewhere) and I also wish that some features had been implemented differently.  However, if I switch modes and don’t go out of my way to try to find problems, the picture quality looks fine and, more importantly, the service keeps getting better.

Getting back to the issue at hand when I created this thread, one of my "complaints" was that the level-1 tech support was not able to help; my call could not be escalated to the next level and a field tech got dispatched needlessly.  As far as I know, Rogers also does not have the equivalent of a Bell STITCH engineer to help resolve REALLY complex issues/cases.

As for whether or not you should switch to Ignite TV, I still strongly advise that you try the service out for yourself in the store.  Ignite TV works differently (especially the cloud PVR) than other (legacy) services, but this is the platform that Rogers has chosen... and it is what it is.  Every competitor’s TV offering (including Rogers Digital TV) has its pros and cons.  Pick what you like best.  So far, my experience with Ignite TV has generally been quite positive.  If your Rogers Internet connection works well and your home network works well, then the Ignite TV service should also work well.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

ARRRGH!!!  It's happening again!!!

Bridge Mode enabled? - ✔️

Wi-Fi disabled? - ✔️

Is it really? - 

Wi-Fi is actually FULLY enabled on my XB6: my private Wi-Fi network (even though the admin UI says otherwise) along with several hidden networks.  Rogers can silently enable things like this remotely, overriding your settings, and you would never know it unless you scan your local neighbourhood Wi-Fi from time to time.

Rogers-WiFi_enabled.jpg

Anyone else??

Seriously, WE NEED AN OFF SWITCH for the Wi-Fi radios on the XB6... and if you (Rogers) are going to override our settings, the enabled state should be reflected in the Admin UI.  The last time that this happened, even Tech Support thought that Wi-Fi was COMPLETELY disabled (and didn't even think that Wi-Fi could possibly be active at all with Bridge Mode enabled) until a technician was dispatched to confirm that this was not really the case.  This is ridiculous!

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Personal opinion, this isn't a true Bridge mode.  Maybe its the goofy Pass-thru mode that Shaw has been using forever, and which they maintain very tight control over.  If that's the case, then the modem runs in Gateway mode and does maintain control over the device that's running on the Pass-Thru port.  

Are you able to discern how many 2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz SSIDs are broadcasting?

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Datalink wrote:

Are you able to discern how many 2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz SSIDs are broadcasting?

I just did a scan and saw an atypical group of networks broadcasting from my XB6, similar to what I saw back in July.

I currently see 7 hidden SSIDs:

1 - 2.4 GHz / WPA2 Enterprise

1 - 2.4 GHz / WPA/WPA2 Enterprise

1 - 5 GHz / WPA/WPA2 Enterprise

3 - 2.4 GHz / WPA2 Personal

1 - 5 GHz / WPA2 Personal

plus my private/personal SSID (2.4 GHz only) which got force-enabled.

Normally, in "Bridge Mode", I see:

1 - 2.4 GHz / WPA/WPA2 Enterprise

1 - 5 GHz / WPA/WPA2 Enterprise

1 - 2.4 GHz / WPA2 Personal

1 - 5 GHz / WPA2 Personal

FYI, it looks like my neighbour also has at least one new hidden SSID that got enabled as well.  I wonder what Rogers could be up to.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Datalink wrote:

Personal opinion, this isn't a true Bridge mode.  Maybe its the goofy Pass-thru mode that Shaw has been using forever, and which they maintain very tight control over.  If that's the case, then the modem runs in Gateway mode and does maintain control over the device that's running on the Pass-Thru port.  

It definitely isn't a true bridge mode.  The XB6 still has (at least some) Gateway functionality active to support whatever Wi-Fi services that they have enabled as well as for the onboard ATA that is used for the Home Phone service.

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Of those 7 hidden SSIDs, are you able to discern which are yours, based on the MAC addresses?  Just wondering if you can nail down how many SSIDs that modem is transmitting on its own?

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Datalink wrote:

Of those 7 hidden SSIDs, are you able to discern which are yours, based on the MAC addresses?  Just wondering if you can nail down how many SSIDs that modem is transmitting on its own?

ALL of those were from my XB6.

I have since called Tech Support to let them know that this problem has returned.  They were not aware of any changes to WiFi-related services on the Rogers side.

Things are also kinda back to normal for me since I put the XB6 into Gateway mode, re-disabled Wi-Fi, and then put it back into Bridge Mode again.  Waiting to see what happens next.

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

That's pretty ugly.  Ok, so, are those SSIDs sitting on channels that you have previously selected prior to switching to Bridge mode (manual channel selection), or, is the modem doing its own channel selection in Bridge mode, which would be a complete pain in the rear for anyone running their own router.  Personal opinion, if the modem is running its own channel selection in Bridge mode, that's a complete disaster.  

Here's some food for thought, if the modem is using your last selected channel.  What model are your Xi6's?  Xi6-A or Xi6-T?  If they happen to be Xi6-Ts, that set top box is supposed to be Dynamic Frequency Selection (DFS) capable.  I'd kick the 5 Ghz wifi onto a DFS channel, when in Gateway mode, then, in theory, disable the wifi and switch the modem into Bridge mode.  If you're not anywhere near an airport, with its weather radar, the modem should stay on that DFS channel and stay out of the way of your own router.  For the 2.4 Ghz channels, don't have any idea on that one, at least not yet.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Datalink  Actually, you can set a DFS channel on both the Arris and Technicolor XB6.  The channel that you set sticks after you disable WiFi.  (That's how I have worked around the normal ugliness of the active hidden SSIDs since day-1 to minimize the impact on the local WiFi environment.)  I can clearly see what's coming from my modem by both the MAC address and the channel.

The problem, that I'm currently upset about, is that Rogers' provisioning system is force-enabling my configured SSID as well as some strange and unexpected hidden SSIDs, all while showing that WiFi is disabled.  It also looks like Rogers has been making changes (to the WiFi Hub back-end?) but not testing with XB6's that are in bridge mode. That's seems to be why the unexpected extra SSIDs appear.  If I also ever see my own SSID suddenly  appear in the list of nearby networks, I know that something bad has happened on Rogers' side.