cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Difficulty connecting to TV without HDMI

littlegirl
I've been here awhile

Not connecting to LG TV

Recently got ignite TV. Tech hooked up the gateway and box to main tv.  told us was easy to hook remaining TV.  One tv required a VGA to HDMI adapter - which tech gave us, however we can't get the two to connect ( talk to each other) -  does this mean we actually need a tv with HDMI ports? 

**Labels Added**

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Difficulty connecting to TV without HDMI

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@littlegirl wrote:

Recently got ignite TV. Tech hooked up the gateway and box to main tv.  told us was easy to hook remaining TV.  One tv required a VGA to HDMI adapter - which tech gave us, however we can't get the two to connect ( talk to each other) -  does this mean we actually need a tv with HDMI ports? 

VGA to HDMI adapter?  Are you certain, or did the tech provide you with an "HDMI2AV" converter?  (One that looks like this: https://www.amazon.com/CIMPLE-CO-Converter-Converts-CONVERTS/dp/B0748NHKW6 )

The instructions that came with the HDMI2AV converter are not the greatest.  I tested one of these many months ago.  If I remember correctly, you need to power up the converter first, then power up the set-top box, and then plug in the HDMI cable that connects the two.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

It might have been HDMI to component video (red/green/blue) adaptor.  In order to use component video though you probably need to set the Ignite box to 1080i output (perhaps connecting it to a TV where it works first in order to change the video output).  Then connect the box with 1080i selected to the TV with component video connections, and analogue audio (red/white) for the sound obviously.

As mentioned above, getting these adapters to work properly can sometimes be a real pain.  The technician should have stayed until it was working.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@57  A few weeks ago, while walking through the neighbourhood, I saw a Rogers tech making connections at a pedestal...  I asked what HDMI video converters they carry these days, and I was told (at the time) that they only had the HDMI-to-Composite Video converters.  I asked about Component Video converters.  He checked his truck and confirmed that they do not carry any of those.  That is why I asked @littlegirl  for clarification.

The MINI HDMI2AV converter (that the Rogers techs carry) accepts up to 1080p.  I have tested it and can confirm that both 720p and 1080p inputs work, and gets down-converted to an anamorphic format that displays correctly when stretched on a widescreen TV.

littlegirl
I've been here awhile

hi - the convertor is pretty much identical, except it doesn't have the words mini on it .  it has hd video converter across the top.  we followed instructions for hook up.  and have followed every other troubleshoot we can find.  we keep seeing/getting no signal come across the screen.    Later today I'll try hooking to our main tv and see what happens. 

I'll let you know   thanks

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@-G- wrote:

1.  I was told (at the time) that they only had the HDMI-to-Composite Video converters.  

2. The MINI HDMI2AV converter (that the Rogers techs carry) accepts up to 1080p.  

Thanks for the post.

1. Based on discussions in this forum, Rogers did have component video converters in the past.  Perhaps some techs still have them.  There certainly aren't any VGA to HDMI converters with Rogers since that's in the wrong direction and very doubtful to be VGA.

2. If the Ignite box is set to 4K, then there may be an issue?

3. @littlegirl needs to make sure she's connected the cable to the correct input on the TV and that the TV is set to that particular input and not some other one.  She should be getting audio.

4. Since composite video can only handle up to 480i, try setting the Ignite box to 480i as a test?

tasilj1
I've been around
I have a 25 year old Sony TV, spare, and no HDMI port, so I went to electronic shop and asked for converter from DMI to A/V Composite RCA. He gave me one and said it also needs some power too and recommended using power from a phone charger. The label on the box for the converter says "Mini Coverter HDMI To Audio/Visual Composite RCA, Chip VX8812". Hooked it all up and works like a charm.

Alex4161
I'm a senior contributor

I have a 21 year old Sony Wega Tube TV and Rogers Ignite TV service.  I connect this adapter to my TV and then the HDMI cable from the Ignite Box to the Adapter and it works great:

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B0837FTD19

You will require a power source that has a micro usb connector.  If you have an older phone with this type of connector, you can use it to power the adaptor.  I would look at something that is 1 Amp as anything lower seems to have issues with connectivity.

Topic Stats
  • 7 replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 5 in conversation