cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Device activation has failed due to error: 012

jjjjy7
I'm a reliable contributor

Been having problems (again) with one of my STBs so Rogers swapped it out.  I received my new one and when I went to set it up, I get the following message:  

I have spent hours on the phone with tech support, and they have no clue.   There is a ticket open, and I continue to wait.  Can someone tell me what this means?  I assume Rogers sent me a box that they never authorized to my account?

*Added Labels*

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Device activation has failed due to error: 012

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@jjjjy7 wrote:

Been having problems (again) with one of my STBs so Rogers swapped it out.  I received my new one and when I went to set it up, I get the following message:  

I have spent hours on the phone with tech support, and they have no clue.   There is a ticket open, and I continue to wait.  Can someone tell me what this means?

It just means that the new set-top box was not authorized and activated on your account.

I got this error last year when I installed a new replacement set-top box.  It was a self-install package that arrived by courier in the early days of the COVID-19 lockdown; my first STB replacement that was not personally exchanged by a Rogers tech.  The package did not contain any information on how to install the new box or how to return the defective one.

Initially, I thought that the error might have been due to my "bridge mode" setup so I reverted back to a "supported" configuration... but the box still would not activate.

I checked MyRogers and saw that the new set-top box was not listed under my TV account.

The next day, I sent the following PM to @CommunityHelps :

Hi!  Good news: The replacement STB arrived yesterday.  However, when I tried to install it, I got a "Device activation has failed due to error: 012." message.

Could you please deactivate and replace the old STB (S/N: TMxxxxxxxxxx / Device MAC: E0:37:17:xx:xx:xx) with the new unit (Device MAC: E0:37:17:xx:xx:xx)?

Thanks very much!

An hour or so later, I got a reply that my new STB had been activated.

I assume Rogers sent me a box that they never authorized to my account?

Yes.  Also, if the new box got activated on your account in advance, you probably would have been charged for an additional set-top box rental.  For me, it was a simple process to get the new box added to my account, and it ensured that the correct defective box got removed from my account.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@jjjjy7 wrote:

I have spent hours on the phone with tech support, and they have no clue.   There is a ticket open, and I continue to wait.  Can someone tell me what this means?

It just means that the new set-top box was not authorized and activated on your account.

I got this error last year when I installed a new replacement set-top box.  It was a self-install package that arrived by courier in the early days of the COVID-19 lockdown; my first STB replacement that was not personally exchanged by a Rogers tech.  The package did not contain any information on how to install the new box or how to return the defective one.

Initially, I thought that the error might have been due to my "bridge mode" setup so I reverted back to a "supported" configuration... but the box still would not activate.

I checked MyRogers and saw that the new set-top box was not listed under my TV account.

The next day, I sent the following PM to @CommunityHelps :

Hi!  Good news: The replacement STB arrived yesterday.  However, when I tried to install it, I got a "Device activation has failed due to error: 012." message.

Could you please deactivate and replace the old STB (S/N: TMxxxxxxxxxx / Device MAC: E0:37:17:xx:xx:xx) with the new unit (Device MAC: E0:37:17:xx:xx:xx)?

Thanks very much!

An hour or so later, I got a reply that my new STB had been activated.

I assume Rogers sent me a box that they never authorized to my account?

Yes.  Also, if the new box got activated on your account in advance, you probably would have been charged for an additional set-top box rental.  For me, it was a simple process to get the new box added to my account, and it ensured that the correct defective box got removed from my account.

jjjjy7
I'm a reliable contributor

@-G-   thank you for taking the time to respond.  Your efforts are appreciated.  After 3 days of tech support and a 2 hour visit by a technician, the problem was finally resolved.  (fingers crossed)

Don_Ca
I'm a senior contributor
Did they say what the problem was?
Topic Stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 3 in conversation