cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Delayed Live stream on rogers ignite tv vs ignite tv app

ls87
I've been around

Why is that when I am watching a live sports game on the ignite tv app it is faster than it airing on the ignite tv itself?
There is like a 20-30 second delay compared with the TV.

***Edited Labels***

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Delayed Live stream on rogers ignite tv vs ignite tv app

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@ls87 wrote:

Why is that when I am watching a live sports game on the ignite tv app it is faster than it airing on the ignite tv itself?
There is like a 20-30 second delay compared with the TV.

I am seeing a 10-11 second difference between the iOS mobile app and Ignite set-top box when watching CP24.  Looks like the mobile app may be using different streaming infrastructure in the back-end than the web player and set-top boxes do, and the source signal is likely also being run through a different encoding pipeline.

So I have one of my TV boxes connected directly to my Ignite modem using a Cat6 Ethernet cable and I have the 500mb package and I can confirm there is a 35-second delay between the actual time and the TV time on The Weather Network or CP24. Both my computer and iPhone times are synched and automatic so there is no error here. When I mentioned this to someone in the Office of the President as part of my complaint in my other topic they disputed it and argued with me.

Ironically I have another call with someone else from the Office of the President today as I have noe been offered a better deal by Bell for all the same services I have now, and when I tried looking on Google to see if Bell's Fibe has the same delay, nothing was found. Now I understand the whole "cloud" and "buffering" thing with IPTV but if it takes over 30 (or even 10) seconds between what is happening live and what I see on TV, it's not acceptable.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@JimParsons There is a delay with Fibe TV as well.  It's less of a delay than Ignite TV but when I was a customer, they were also down-converting HD channels to 720p and used a much lower bitrate.  (Bell customers are still complaining about this.).  Fibe TV is also currently delivered as multicast streams, which also simplifies up-front processing... but this is not an option for Rogers with Ignite TV platform and it would be too problematic over DOCSIS.

As I pointed out in another thread, the technical reality is that you cannot eliminate the encoding delay with IPTV.  You can reduce it but picture quality would suffer.  I'll happily accept a 30 second delay (or even longer delay) if it gives me better picture quality.

Normally, a 30-second delay is a non-issue.  However, folks do notice it when having virtual "viewing parties" while watching sports and different households celebrate goals at different times.... with the least delay coming from the house receiving CBC over-the-air with an antenna.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@JimParsons wrote:

...Now I understand the whole "cloud" and "buffering" thing with IPTV but if it takes over 30 (or even 10) seconds between what is happening live and what I see on TV, it's not acceptable.

Even live TV on OTA channels will have a delay of a few seconds. This delay began being inserted years ago to allow the broadcasters to bleep swearing, or block out wardrobe malfunctions, etc.  People who live near stadiums complain of this delay as they can hear the cheering when a goal is scored before they see it on their TVs.

Different service providers will have different delays and it will also depend on the technology used.  So, there's a difference between OTA, Digital Cable, Bell's Fibe, Bell's Satellite, Shaw Satellite, Rogers IgniteTV, etc.. There may even be differences between boxes or devices in a home with the same provider due to the way buffers work in these various devices, the onset of the streaming., etc.

JimParsons
I'm here a lot

It's not just the overall delay, but if my wife and I are watching the same channel on 2 different TVs, one will almost always be either ahead or behind the other, and this gets worse if we pause or rewind then go back to "Live". What is really crazy is the TV connected with Ethernet can be behind either of the TVs connected over wireless.

I have also noticed on my 4K TV (connected over wifi) even with the 35-second delay, the 4K channels still glitch or stutter fairly often. I actually bought a brand new Asus RRT58u router (I was due to buy one anyways) and set the Ignite modem to bridge mode as I also found with the modem near my desktop computer is interfered with my bluetooth speakers. This is why I never wanted to switch to Ignite because I figured I would have all of these problems, but the absolutely terrible customer service I have experienced as well was was even worse. I cannot see any way now of remaining as a Rogers customer.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@JimParsons wrote:

1. It's not just the overall delay, but if my wife and I are watching the same channel on 2 different TVs...

2.  have also noticed on my 4K TV (connected over wifi) even with the 35-second delay, the 4K channels still glitch or stutter fairly often.

3. I cannot see any way now of remaining as a Rogers customer.

1. Do you have an aversion to being in the same room as your wife when watching the same programme?  😉 It would save electricity too.

2. I don't have any issues with the 4K channels that I watch - Love Nature, Stingray Now 4K, Stingray Festival 4K.  I'll have to watch a 4K sports programme some time for a longer period of time. I did watch some 4K sports when I first got Ignite and there were no glitches for the few minutes that I was watching...

3. Do you believe things will be different with a different service provider?  The same issues may exist with others due to the technology and personnel.  Each provider has plusses and minuses.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@JimParsons wrote:

I have also noticed on my 4K TV (connected over wifi) even with the 35-second delay, the 4K channels still glitch or stutter fairly often. I actually bought a brand new Asus RRT58u router (I was due to buy one anyways) and set the Ignite modem to bridge mode as I also found with the modem near my desktop computer is interfered with my bluetooth speakers. This is why I never wanted to switch to Ignite because I figured I would have all of these problems, but the absolutely terrible customer service I have experienced as well was was even worse. I cannot see any way now of remaining as a Rogers customer.

If you ever experience stuttering or drop-outs with Ignite TV, it is almost certainly due to an in-home network issue.  If your Wi-Fi network is performing poorly overall, you will also see degraded performance, even on a device that is only a few feet away from the Wi-Fi AP.  If there is insufficient bandwidth the set-top box, it will run out of data to process, and that's when you see the A/V drop-outs.  If are experiencing severe packet loss, the box may run out of data to process if the internal data buffers are exhausted before the missing data gets retransmitted.  (Also beware that if you enable QoS on your router, it can actually make network problems even worse, especially if your router's CPU is underpowered and/or if you do not know how to configure QoS correctly.)

My Ignite TV service is absolutely solid and glitch-free.

Topic Stats
  • 7 replies
  • 6 Likes
  • 4 in conversation