Connecting a smart bulb and smart plug to the new ignite wifi

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Around

Connecting a smart bulb and smart plug to the new ignite wifi

I can’t seem to find a way to connect my escape smart bulb and plug to my wifi as is says it needs a 2.4 ghz. It seems the router wants to connect things on 5ghz.

Has anyone had this issue? And better yet solved it....

***Edited Labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Connecting a smart bulb and smart plug to the new ignite wifi

Unless something was set up weird with your router when the person set it up..
It should have BOTH.

You would have to log into your modem.
(10.0.0.1 by default unless they have changed it since mine was setup)
Login in the top left.  User should be 'admin' and the password, most likely whatever they set up your wifi password to.
Go to the Gateway section, then expand Connection, and then to Wi-Fi.
It should show the two wireless networks there.

Now.. if both are listed the same name, you will only see one ever on a device and it will usually pick the stronger of the two, to connect to.  But if a device only had 2.4 capabilities, it still should see it, and be only seeing the 2.4 connection.

I have the Ignite modem, but with the Eero mesh pods.   But it is set up the same way, with the same name (ssid) for both 2.4 and 5.  All my 2.4 only home automation devices are able to connect just fine.

If you are having issues loging into your modem, you may have to give tech support a call to have help loging into it. (they can reset password, etc)

I've Been Here Awhile

Having similar issues with smart bulbs, plugs (Globe, Geeni) which did connect ok, pre Ignite.
Google Home mini unit does connect ok with Ignite.
Guide (for bulbs) says to use 2.4G for the connection process, and that 5G can be used thereafter. Ignite setup lists both 2.4G & 5G.
I can not find any way of temporarily disabling 5G for the initial connection process.
Any ideas?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Which exact modem do you have?  

There should be a way to do it, but will vary from one to another modem.

I've Been Here Awhile

Model No. for my Ignite Router is TG3482ER3
(Unit does not show name-'Made in China') G.Search suggests it is Arris TG3482ER3 'also known as XB6'.
Logged in to router Gateway but can't find setting for selecting 2.4/5G.

I've Been Here Awhile

Following up...now,via Gateway, found setting to disable 5G.

After reset, tried reconnecting Globe smart bulbs with 2.4G .

Still not able to connect  (as I was able to pre-Ignite).

Hello, @rgbitner

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums!

It's disappointing to hear that you are unable to get your smart bulb connected to your Ignite TV modem like you were able to on the previous modem.

In the same section where you disabled the 5G network, you are able to modify the SSID or network name. Please edit the settings for the 2.4G and change the name of the 2.4G network to something different from the 5G network. Once that is done try connecting the bulb to that network. If it is successful, modify the name of the 5G network to match the 2.4G network to ensure band steering is enabled.

Let us know if this resolves the issues with the smart bulb connecting to 2.4G.

RogersTony

I've Been Here Awhile

Thank you...that was helpfull.
I found it was necessary to delete and reinstall the device app for some of the devices before they would connect.