Connecting a DVD recorder to TV using Rogers Ignite

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Connecting a DVD recorder to TV using Rogers Ignite

I recently had Rogers Ignite installed.  I have a DVD recorder that I use for personal use that I would like to hook back up.  I have the main TV with the small ignite box.  Secondary TV with the small Ignite box and TV that is being used as a computer monitor - no small Ignite box, but in the same room with the main modem.  Is there a way to do this?

***Edited Labels***

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Connecting a DVD recorder to TV using Rogers Ignite

Do you just want to watch DVDs? If so, just connect the DVD recorder to the TV the way you did before (using analogue audio (red/white) and composite (yellow) or S-Video or Component Video?).  You need to switch the TV's inputs between the DVD recorder and whatever else is connected.

If you wish to record programming, this gets really tricky since Ignite boxes only have an HDMI output and you'd have to purchase a converter to convert HDMI to whatever the DVD recorder accepts - like analogue audio (red/white) and composite video (Yellow).  Of course this would only connect the box to the recorder. If you also wish to watch TV with the same box, then you'd need to split the HDMI signal first using an HDMI splitter, connecting one HDMI to the TV and one to the recorder via the converter. 

Why would you want to record on the DVD recorder since Ignite has recording capability?

I've Been Here Awhile

I like to have stuff on discs..I'm old school.  Also, I have discs that aren't finalized that I would like to finalize.  And..I just bought it, I'd like to get the use out of it.

My DVD recorder has the component (red/blue/green), the AV (red/white/yellow) and HDMI.  Where could I purchase a converter?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@ngcskate wrote:

Where could I purchase a converter?

Online, or perhaps someplace like Best Buy. ($25-$100+) You need an "HDMI to composite video converter" (yellow) (powered) (not an adaptor).  You can then feed this signal to your recorder.   I"m not sure if these converters downconvert the signal to 480i, which is required by your recorder, or whether you need to set the ignite box to output 480i.  Most recorders only have composite video or S-video inputs. If yours has component video in, you'll need to set the Ignite Box to output 480i and perhaps consider an "HDMI to component video converter."  Of course you're only recording in SD quality and the picture quality usually is not very good (especially in these days when some displays are 4k), but perhaps it's good enough for you on a small display.

My suggestion would be to record everything initially in the Ignite cloud, then hit "play"  on the box and "record" on the DVD recorder, when you want to record your programme onto DVD.  You would connect the DVD recorder to the TV in the same manner as before - HDMI?

What's the exact make/model of the DVD recorder?

I've Been Here Awhile

It's a Magnavox dvd recorder/VHS ZV427MG9

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I checked out the specs for this unit and it only has S-video or composite video inputs, so make sure any possible converter box you purchase has those outputs available, along with analogue audio. As for outputs to the TV, use the best possible output for the TV to which you are connecting.  HDMI?

I've Been Here Awhile

The DVD recorder does have a HDMI hookup as does the TV

Order Now!
Wilder vs. Ortiz II Live
LIVE: Saturday, November 23, 2019 8PM ET
Channels: 348 (HD) | 350 (SD) | Ignite TV 499
Price: $74.99 (HD) | $69.99 (SD) | Ignite TV $74.99
DTV can order on Nov. 21st & Ignite TV customers can order now!

Reigning heavyweight world champion Deontay "The Bronze Bomber'' Wilder takes on his most dangerous challenger as he defends his WBC title in a rematch against once-beaten Cuban slugger Luis "King Kong'' Ortiz.

Topic Stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 2 in conversation