Coax to Ethernet with Ignite TV?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Coax to Ethernet with Ignite TV?

Moving to an apartment and upgrading to Ignite. The set-top box/modem will be in a different room than my desktop computer which I want to hardwire into the network with Ethernet. There is a coaxial outlet in the computer location. Is there a coax-to-Ethernet adapter available that will enable me to connect the computer  to the network?

**Labels Added**

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Coax to Ethernet with Ignite TV?

You can get MOCHA adapters, which will convert cable to ethernet.  But they can get a little pricey.

And this would require in the room where the modem is, that there is TWO coax connections.. etc.

Likely, your next best bet, would be to use POWERLINE adapter, which go over the power lines in the house.

I Plan to Stick Around

Why TWO coax connections? Why not Coax > MoCA > Ethernet > Computer? I should have mentioned that each room has a Coax outlet. In fact, the entire apartment has coax outlets.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The ignite modem itself, isnt set up right now to be moca capable (as far as I am aware).. so it doesnt know how to talk directly out to the moca adapter.

So you would need a paired set.  one for each side.
modem > ethernet > moca A > coax line to the other side out > Moca B > ethernet > computer
Hence the other coax connection there.

Vs a powerline.  Are a little more readily available and cheaper.  modem > ethernet > adapter > into power > other adapter > ethernet > computer

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Is the TP-Link TL-PA9020P KIT AV2000 Powerline Adapter Kit a good choice? And thanks so much for your speedy response.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I myself havent used many in a while.. as I prefer to run ethernet wherever I can myself 🙂 But I know thats not an always an option.

I know quite a few who have used TP link powerline ones with some success.

Generally the biggest issues I have seen sometimes with these, goes around POOR wiring in the house (causing interference).  They tend to work best if they are on the same set of wiring (off the same breaker, etc).  That you are in an apartment, hopefully should help with at least the latter part, as more likely the on the same.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I recently installed a TP-Link TL-WPA8630 Kit and am quite pleased.

https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/51-home-computing/171986-powerline-adapter-discussions-2.html#post3...

It has the added advantage of providing WiFi in the "other" location for your WiFi Devices like phone, tablet...

I Plan to Stick Around

I'm thinking that a TP-Link powerline solution is the way to go, but a system without a WiFi extender may be what's needed here. I want to use a Sonos Beam for the TV audio, and their info states that there may be an interference issue with WiFi extenders. I'd like to avoid TP-Link solutions with extenders.

A sincere Thanks! to you guys for your informed advice!

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Glad you did your homework on extenders and possible interference. You can easily turn the WiFi off on powerline adapters that have it, or you can use the WiFi if it helps...

I Plan to Stick Around

Hmmm. In that case, I'm thinking I should get WiFi extender capabilities. If it works without interfering, great. If not, then disable it.