cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changes to Ignite TV Channels in Packages and Theme Packs

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I'm starting this thread to give us a place where changes to the Ignite TV channel lineups can be announced and discussed.

Rogers already has pages that show Free Previews and New Channels but I have not been able to find any pages that list planned/upcoming changes to the default channel lineups for Ignite TV Packages, Theme Packs or the Flex Channels that we can choose from.

For example, my latest bill contains a note informing me that Fox Sports Racing will no longer be part of my package effective June 14, 2020 but will still be available to subscribers as part of the Adventure Theme Pack.  However, it still shows as an included Flex Channel in Premier and an optional Flex Channel in Popular.

@CommunityHelps  Are you aware of any other upcoming changes that you can share here so that we can also plan accordingly?  Thanks!

*** Edited Labels/Title ***

217 REPLIES 217

Re: Changes to Ignite TV Channels in Packages and Theme Packs

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@PatrickJB wrote:

My channel line-up on MyRogers no longer lists the American networks (ABC, CBS, Fox, NBC, and PBS), and browsing all available channels lists them as not being included in any of the bundles anymore. Does that mean we soon won't be able to watch them without an American theme pack or some such?

I noticed that as well when comparing Ignite TV bundles on https://www.rogers.com/web/consumer/ignite-bundles/channels but thought that this had to be a mistake.

However, looking at "My TV Channels" on MyRogers, it says,

- - - - - - - - - -

⚠️ Our TV Packages are changing as of July 7, 2021.

The following channels will only be available as part of a Theme Pack for new Ignite TV customers, but will remain available to you as an existing Ignite TV customer. They will not appear on your rogers.com channel dashboard, but you will still be able to view them as part of your subscription.

CBS
ABC
NBC
FOX
PBS
CW†
Citytv Toronto*
Global Maritimes**

†Impacts London, St. Thomas, Strathroy, Tillsonburg in Ontario only.

*Impacts all regions in New Brunswick and Newfoundland.

**Impacts Acadian Peninsula, Bathurst, Campbellton/Dalhousie, Miramichi, St. Andrews, St. Stephen, Edmundston, Woodstock in New Brunswick only.

- - - - - - - - - -

If new Ignite TV customers want to get CBS, ABC, NBC, FOX and PBS, they now need to spend an extra $3/month for the "Prime Time Pack".

toolcubed
I'm a senior contributor

Well that's interesting.  This appears as bad optics and seems to be purely a money-grabbing tactic, especially when many people can get these channels for free with an antenna.  I wonder if Bell will follow suit with their channel lineups...

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@toolcubed wrote:

Well that's interesting.  This appears as bad optics and seems to be purely a money-grabbing tactic, especially when many people can get these channels for free with an antenna.  I wonder if Bell will follow suit with their channel lineups...

The funny thing is that when a $25 "skinny basic" TV package was first proposed, Bell complained that they should not be required to carry the major US "over the air" networks; Rogers insisted that their carriage should be required.

When Skinny Basic launched, Bell chose to not carry ABC, NBC, et al.  Rogers did.  Today, Bell does include the US networks in their basic Starter package but Rogers has dropped them across all bundles.

Those US networks have been staples in even the most basic TV packages for decades.  The optics of this change are really bad and I'm still not convinced that it even makes any business sense.

ReneHache
I plan to stick around

I guess Rogers want to force you to watch the canadian channels instead. and the Prime Time Pack don't even include american time shifting, that's an other 3$ if you want it.

The way I see it, It won't be surprise that the main packages will disappear in the extended future and theme pack will be the only choice to get your channels, it can be goof for those who want very few channels...

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

If Rogers are going to completely rethink how TV packages are structured, and provide their customers with more and better choices at a fair price, fine.  Even stripping those channels from the Starter bundle seems petty... but Premier, of all things?  The whole point of that package is to allow customers to get pretty much anything they would want or need through Flex Channels without having to subscribe to a bunch of Theme Packs.

In my opinion, the Ignite TV, Internet and Home Phone bundles were a much better value (and I think even a much better product overall) two years ago.

PatrickJB
I plan to stick around

$3/month extra for a bunch of channels that are simsubbed over most of the time anyway? Sounds like a good deal to me! </sarcasm>

nighthawk
I plan to stick around
Rogers squeezing every cent possible from their customers. It is really shameful to remove channels that people have had access to for so long, place them in a theme pack and charge an extra 3 dollars for them and another extra 3 dollars for time shifting. This from a profitable company. It is insulting to mistreat customers like this.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
Rogers will not be taking those channels away from existing subscribers. It only affects new Ignite TV subscribers. It is not clear to me what will happen to those switching to a different Ignite bundle.

stefer009
I plan to stick around

Many things don't make sense since I moved to Ignite...

Tele-Québec used to be part of the basic, it's not in Ignite.

They don't include it in the french theme packs either.

It's included for a few $ in timeshifting... which doesn't make sense... it's ONE channel, not one network spread out over different time zones, so if you're not interested in timeshifting and want that one channel...

It is also included in the sports theme pack, also not making any sense whatsoever because it's not a sports channel and doesn't have any sports coverage...

ReneHache
I plan to stick around

I thought it was bad enough when they didn't include the canadian timeshifting on Ignite TV in every packages compare to the old Digital TV that have all the canadian timeshifting and have more channels that we have to pay extra on Ignite TV.

Gtheman
I plan to stick around
I appreciate that the CRTC is in the back pocket of TV and phone and i'net providers, but the basic rule has always been the OTA/FTA channels were basic and not a "theme". This is total rubbish from Rogers. an extra $3.00/month. It never ends...extras...

Lurker_Returns
I'm a reliable contributor
With cloud restart and cloud on demand, timeshifitng is less and less useful.

Charging more for American networks is a bush league move, however, and Rogers should be ashamed of themselves.

nighthawk
I plan to stick around
The rule for Rogers is that if they can find a way to make more money from customers, they will. They say well it only applies to new ignite customers, not existing but American Networks NBC, ABC, CBS, FOX have not traditionally been in separate theme packs so this is Rogers being Rogers and looking for more ways to make as much money as possible off subscribers because they are part of the CRTC protected oligopoly along with Bell and Telus. Consumers are going to be treated this way due to lack of competition. That’s why this seems like it’s never ending. Why try to please customers overall when it’s not necessary in a protectionist market. The government doesn’t want more competition. These antics will keep continuing and customers will receive less value and channels for their money. Rogers will make every excuse to justify this decision, but this is a repeated and annoying pattern of squeezing money from consumers even in the smallest of ways.

Gtheman
I plan to stick around

I could not agree more. And as I said the CRTC is in the back pocket of all the providers except the re-sellers who were given even less protection recently by an edict from the CRTC.

No competition, which I have never quite understood when competitors can use Bell's two wire system, but the co-ax is verboten ????

ReneHache
I plan to stick around
That's true most of the case, but specially for american national channels, some shows only air on the timeshifting (west feed) and not on the main channel (east feed), also news show are different since they are local based. The news part also apply to canadian national channels. So timeshifting will always be useful. And if there an outage or issue on one of the feed, you can use the other feed at different time. There's still plenty of reason to have timeshifting.

I'm actually subscribe to the canadian timeshifing myself, also it include non timeshifing channels like Télé Québec, TFO, CHCH, Yes TV, OMNI, Faith TV and Joy TV.

aboyaci
I plan to stick around

If Rogers is going through this path of removing these staple US network channels that have existed in basic cable from the start of time, and are free via antenna; then all I have to say is, Rogers is shooting itself in the foot. Seriously.

If Bell is still providing these channels as part of their basic cable, and Rogers isnt, then Rogers ever since Bell's installation of fibe TV lines on a mass scale in 2017, has solidified its number #2 position in TV services in Canada, after Rogers being the  dominate player in TV since the start of TV services in Canada, as Rogers Cable.

Rogers Cable has been the #1 cable provider in Canada from the start to 2017, losing its title to Bell - and going further down the hill. Failed Ignite TV service compared to Digital Cable, less Premier TV channels compared with Bell's Best and at times the Better package, and now the removal of free tv antenna channels from all package for an extra $3... thats a very new low for Rogers.

Rogers lost its #1 status in internet with Bell's 1.5GBps internet service, and Bell was always number 1 from the start on its home phone service.

All I have to say is, this latest move to remove these US network channels is only going to divert customers to Bell's starter tv package at minimum, instead of becoming new Ignite TV customers - basically Rogers is saying.. new customers, just don't come to us. And or, new customers will realize that streaming and tv antenna channels for free are a better option, and never buy a tv service from Rogers. period.

Gtheman
I plan to stick around

There was a time mandated by the CRTC that basic cable had to include channels available FTA (free to air) and I switched from Digital to Ignite just this past Friday. VERY disappointed in choppy sound and picture. Yes I reboot the modem but why should I have to do that every couple of days ? Fewer channels, + no US networks, lousy remote and choppy service. Disgusting !

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Just as an FYI, in North America, FTA is a term used for satellite reception using a (usually) large satellite dish.

https://www.digitalhome.ca/forums/free-to-air-satellite-television.57/

OTA (Over The Air) is the correct term for reception with an antenna as discussed in this thread.

https://www.digitalhome.ca/forums/over-the-air-ota-digital-television.81/

Gtheman
I plan to stick around

OK right

ReneHache
I plan to stick around

For the past weeks or so, AHC was added for my package without any change on my side, is that possible that a channel that was on Ignite Premier have shutdown or change? Other than OMNI 2 that is no longer available. I've check in with my spreadsheet and all my subscribe channel seen to the be there, it's like I gain an extra channel (AHC) on my flex list.

Also while researching on why I now get AHC, I notice that BBC World News and People TV not longer appear on the "Exchange Flex Channel", "View my Flex Channels" and "My Channel Lineup" pages, but I'm still subscribe to them and they still showup on the "Manage Channels and Theme Packs" page.

My only logical conclusion is that AHC replace OMNI 2. But I might flex it with a channel I might like better.

** Note sure if this is the right tread for this post **

aboyaci
I plan to stick around

Looks like Peachtree TV is being removed from TV packages. Anyone have any details if this is due to the channel shutting down, or Rogers is no longer going to carry it, or if its just going to be charged as an extra channel. Im thinking its one of the first two... elimination.

"Peachtree TV

Starting October 1, 2021, Peachtree TV will no longer be included in your TV or theme package. If you’ve been paying a separate fee for this channel, you will no longer be charged as of this date."
Topic Stats