cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changes to Ignite TV Channels in Packages and Theme Packs

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I'm starting this thread to give us a place where changes to the Ignite TV channel lineups can be announced and discussed.

Rogers already has pages that show Free Previews and New Channels but I have not been able to find any pages that list planned/upcoming changes to the default channel lineups for Ignite TV Packages, Theme Packs or the Flex Channels that we can choose from.

For example, my latest bill contains a note informing me that Fox Sports Racing will no longer be part of my package effective June 14, 2020 but will still be available to subscribers as part of the Adventure Theme Pack.  However, it still shows as an included Flex Channel in Premier and an optional Flex Channel in Popular.

@CommunityHelps  Are you aware of any other upcoming changes that you can share here so that we can also plan accordingly?  Thanks!

*** Edited Labels/Title ***

217 REPLIES 217

Re: Changes to Ignite TV Channels in Packages and Theme Packs

User1030445
I plan to stick around

So lets hear the explanation from Rogers,  were adults let us decide.  Rogers keeps us in the dark, explains nothing then they take the heat.  You don't know the answer,  no point in trying to cover for them if you don't know the facts.

I wasnt trying to cover up for them.  I was just trying to provide OTHER information for those who may not know all the process potentially involved.
So like you said, people can then make their own decisions.

For your business (or who you work for), do they release every single monetary dealing, contract with vendors/customers, etc, out to the public?  No.

Really in the end, if you dont like how a company you are dealing with, be it rogers, bell, whoever period, is doing their business... then sever your business with them.
Just making people aware that this is pretty common practice with channels/tv carriers.. so may find it with other companies as well 😞

@User1030445 wrote:

So lets hear the explanation from Rogers,  were adults let us decide.  Rogers keeps us in the dark, explains nothing then they take the heat.  You don't know the answer,  no point in trying to cover for them if you don't know the facts.

RE's are Rogers customers too.  We do try to keep the discussions here positive, helpful and constructive but any changes that Rogers makes to packages and services also affect us just as much as they do you.

As for the explanation that you are hoping for, if the Moderators here do know the reasoning behind the channel-related changes, they themselves would not be authorized to comment on them, or any matters that are considered confidential or proprietary.  Rogers also, most likely, will not make any further statements beyond those that they have already released publicly.

However, the entire @CommunityHelps  team definitely does take note of any concerns that we express here and passes our feedback on to the product teams internally.

Right now, I'm anxious to hear what will become of CNBC, MSNBC and the Golf Channel a week from now, and see how Rogers will respond to other concerns that have been expressed in this thread.

User1030445
I plan to stick around

Rogers gets to decide what they tell us and what they don't.  Moderators should resist the temptation to try to explain away Rogers decisions without specific knowledge or the facts.  That isn't helpful.

In the end Rogers can hide behind their proprietary rationale , customers get to make choices as well. Cut my services each year while increasing my bill annually  in the end  makes the decision  easier.  On the other hand Rogers could explain the rationale for their decisions,  they have to do that with the CRTC all the time, why aren't customers worthy of that same consideration?

nighthawk
I plan to stick around
I contacted @RogersHelps using Twitter about MSNBC, CNBC, The Golf Channel. When I did this I was told to direct message them. I stated that I liked these channels and would be unhappy if they were removed and was told my feedback would be forwarded to Rogers. Not sure exactly where at Rogers it was forwarded to. Also there is a link to this forum on @RogersHelps so not sure if it’s directly connected to this forum. Maybe it helped sending feedback through Twitter. Probably not much but it was worth a try.

User1030445
I plan to stick around

Once you have contacted Rogers you can also contact the CRTC concerning the removals of channels,  don't forget to mention Rogers was granted rate increases this year again....

Do you have a TV service complaint that you have not been able to fix with your provider?

You can contact the Commission for Complaints for Telecom-television Services (CCTS). The CCTS is an independent organization dedicated to working with consumers and service providers to resolve complaints about TV, telephone and internet services. The CCTS website features additional resources on how you can submit a complaint.

Each year the CCTS reports publicly on all consumer complaints it receives. Read their annual and mid-year reports.

Contact the CCTS

User1030445
I plan to stick around

I had a call from Rogers about the removal of Fox Sports Racing channel today.  They offered to restore it for me if I would pay an additional $7 a month.  So the stuff that has been posted here that it is no longer available or there is some negotiating issue with Fox  is just a lie.  I didn't have to change my package,  move to Ignite, just pay them more a month to get it.   That after they removed it from my service.

What gall this company has ,  agree to provide me a channel at a package price,  take it away from me and then offer it back at an $7 per month increase in price.   This after increasing my rates 11.5% since last year.  When I expressed my dismay that they would do this to me the rep was shocked that I was upset.  Really this is the way you treat your customers Roger and you are shocked?

I am going to the CRTC over this.

@User1030445  I know that you are upset about losing Fox Sports Racing but the change related to that channel is different from that of CNBC/MSNBC/Golf.  Rogers simply decided to remove Fox Racing from the Premier package, for both Digital TV and Ignite TV customers.  They never said why.

In an earlier post, I said that this change didn't make sense to me.  Then, after giving it some more thought, I posted my own guess for the reasons behind the change.  In a nutshell, I suspected that Fox Racing likely had low viewership and the cost for keeping that channel was increasing due to the decreasing number of remaining Digital TV Premier subscribers.  If that is true, then they could either remove the channel from the package (otherwise, they would be paying considerable money so that all Premier subscribers could get a channel that only a few people watched) or they would have to increase monthly fee for Premier just to keep a channel around that only a few people watched.  Neither option would have been popular but removing the channel from Premier would have upset fewer people.

Regardless of the reason, this is not the first time that Rogers has removed channels from a package.  Sometimes channels cease broadcasting (IFC, Cosmo TV, and Comedy Gold to name a few) and sometimes Rogers decides not to carry them anymore.  (Stingray Juicebox/RETRO/LOUD/VIBE...)  You could complain to Rogers and to the CRTC but I don't think that you will accomplish much beyond venting your frustration.  You could also cancel your service and Rogers will likely waive cancellation fees if you are under contract.

We'll have to wait and see what Rogers decides to do going forward.  With any change, they risk upsetting and alienating their customers.  Rogers may also decide to change how their packages are structured, especially now that their customers' viewing habits are changing, and also because some of their new competitors have come up with innovative ways to sell and bundle channels that deliver more value for less money.

User1030445
I plan to stick around

Rogers can take the channel  away  and then offer it back to you because you complain for a mere $7 add'l a month?  Is that a fair business practice?  The rep actually thought she was doing me a favour  😞

It is obvious what Rogers is doing is removing the Fox Racing channel from the Premium package to place it with some other channels into another package  which will be a new add-on.  This isn't about anything but trying to up sell their existing customers by stripping away  products already agreed to.   Customers  buy a package at an agreed upon price with agreed upon channels, then over time Rogers increases the package price and adds insult to injury by  removing  channels in an effort to re-package those channels to up sell to those same customers.

I don't like being taken advantage of.  Just because they can, doesn't mean they should,  customers deserve some respect.  

We will see what the CRTC thinks about these policies.

@User1030445 wrote:

Rogers can take the channel  away  and then offer it back to you because you complain for a mere $7 add'l a month?  Is that a fair business practice?  The rep actually thought she was doing me a favour  😞

Rogers removed Fox Sports Racing from Premier.  The $7 extra that you are now paying is the monthly fee to subscribe to the individual channel.  The alternative is to pay $10 to get Fox Racing as part of Adventure Theme Pack.

I don't like being taken advantage of.  Just because they can, doesn't mean they should,  customers deserve some respect.  

We will see what the CRTC thinks about these policies.

I wish you luck but as I said, this is nothing new.  We haven't even gotten to the point yet when Rogers announces the end of Digital TV.  It will be interesting to see what other changes are in store, whether there are only a few customers left on the old service or if there turns out to be too many customers that refuse to migrate to Ignite TV.

User1030445
I plan to stick around

"Rogers removed Fox Sports Racing from Premier. The $7 extra that you are now paying is the monthly fee to subscribe to the individual channel. The alternative is to pay $10 to get Fox Racing as part of Adventure Theme Pack."

You confirmed my point !   I can still get it but now it's either $7 or $10 extra,  last week it was part of my package.  

5 months left on my commitment (there appears to be no commitment from Rogers) ,  should have my answer from the CRTC by then.  Deceptive business practices need to brought to their attention.

@User1030445  This is technically an Ignite TV thread but if I am not mistaken, Popular and Premier on Digital TV allowed you to select a bonus channel.  I wonder if it would be possible for Rogers to add Fox Sports Racing to the list of bonus channels so that that you could add it back that way.

Tagging @CommunityHelps  to see if they might be able to help with this.

Babylegs1
I plan to stick around
Just call In and they can email you a guide of all your channels. Simple

danno100
I plan to stick around

I have also written to the CRTC..I enjoy that channel and had to pay an additional $7. I can stream it on line..but have to figure have to use  a dvr to record content.

User1030445
I plan to stick around

Rogers chooses to remove a channel you receive as part of your package and then sell it back to you , pretending to do you a favour,   the very essence of unscrupulous business practices. 

Won't be a tough decision when my rates go up at the end of this "commitment".  Bell calls me all the time with deals.

User1030445
I plan to stick around

If you have a service agreement with Rogers then this applies...under this Rogers is considered a TVSP (Television Service Provider)  and is bound to your agreement by the CRTC.   Rogers gave notice on the removal of Fox Racing but seemed to have overlooked section 4 in this matter, this section ends at the last point #2.  I have a service agreement.

XI. Notice for changes to programming options

1. With respect to services subscribed to by a customer, a TVSP must give a customer at least 30 calendar days’ notice in the event of changes to:
    1. the price of individual channels or packages of channels;
    2. the packaging of channels; and
    3. the price of equipment.
  2. This notice must clearly explain any change and when it will take effect.
  3. The notice must clearly explain the options should a customer no longer wish to subscribe to any of the TVSP’s changed services.
  4. A TVSP may make a change to a customer’s programming options during the commitment period without the customer’s express consent if it benefits the customer by either:
    1. reducing the rate for a service or package; or
    2. providing a service for no additional fee.

@User1030445  I believe #4 pertains to the case where the TVSP does not have to provide notice, and where you would not have grounds to terminate your service due to the change while you are still under contract.  If Rogers was prohibited from making any changes under ANY circumstances, then points #1-3 would not even be necessary and this whole section would be worded differently.

However, I do think that removing Fox Sports Racing from Premier entitles you to cancel your services with Rogers immediately without penalty.

User1030445
I plan to stick around

I disagree,  this section below is the only section of the Television Service Provider Code that discusses programming changes by the cable co..   Rogers is  to adhere to these rules when making changes to existing packages, that includes notice and consent.  

It makes no sense that Roger can de-authorize a channel  to me and still  continue to offer that channel to other Rogers customers when that channel has been part of my agreement/package from day one  for which I pay a agreed upon monthly rate.  If they want to reduce my rate commensurate for removing the channel then that is another matter.

Not a lawyer but I have taken contract law,  even common sense says you don't de-authorize a channel to a customer and then turn around and offer  it back to them for $7 more a month.   Just a terrible way to treat a customer that spends multiple thousands a year with you.  If this is their policy then they need to re-think it.

I have involved the CRTC and the Rogers Ombudsman, they have been in contact with me.  I will provide an update when I get clarity on this situation. 

XI. Notice for changes to programming options
  1. With respect to services subscribed to by a customer, a TVSP must give a customer at least 30 calendar days’ notice in the event of changes to:
    1. the price of individual channels or packages of channels;
    2. the packaging of channels; and
    3. the price of equipment.
  2. This notice must clearly explain any change and when it will take effect.
  3. The notice must clearly explain the options should a customer no longer wish to subscribe to any of the TVSP’s changed services.
  4. A TVSP may make a change to a customer’s programming options during the commitment period without the customer’s express consent if it benefits the customer by either:
    1. reducing the rate for a service or package; or
    2. providing a service for no additional fee.

User1030445
I plan to stick around

By the way I did not receive notice from Rogers on the change to Fox Racing.  I went back and looked at my bills through 2020 and there was none on this issue.  I did receive notice on CNBC, MSNBC etc.  for July 1st on my May bill  and some other channel issues earlier in the year such as AMC  but nothing on the changes to Fox Racing.   So in my case Rogers made this change  without notice.

I note  others here  are in the same boat , earlier on in this thread some had not received notice , they mentioned they went back to look at their bills as well.  

@User1030445 wrote:

even common sense says you don't de-authorize a channel to a customer and then turn around and offer  it back to them for $7 more a month.   Just a terrible way to treat a customer that spends multiple thousands a year with you.

Yeah, I totally agree.  I honestly cannot believe that Rogers took this course of action and that they could not find a better solution to whatever problem they were trying to solve.

@User1030445 wrote:

By the way I did not receive notice from Rogers on the change to Fox Racing.

I note  others here  are in the same boat , earlier on in this thread some had not received notice , they mentioned they went back to look at their bills as well.  

I got the notice that Fox Sports Racing would be going away in June, 2020 but could not find any prior notice that the might have been going away in January.

I also just want to point out again that this is an Ignite TV thread that may or may not be followed by Digital TV customers.

Many Ignite Premier customers couldn't care less about FSR going away.  They may have even been surprised that they even received FSR in the first place.  They will pick another Flex channel and continue to receive the same number of channels that they had before.  (They may be upset that more and more channels keep going away and and that there are no more channels that they would ever want to watch to replace it with, but that is another problem.)

There are also Ignite Premier customers who are as upset as you are that a channel that they watched often suddenly got taken away for no apparent reason, especially since the monthly cost for the individual channel did not change.

Digital Premier customers are by far the most impacted.  When a channel goes away, it does not get replaced with anything else.  It is bad enough when a channel stops broadcasting... but at least that is out of Rogers' control.  FSR just got taken away... by Rogers, without any consideration.

Digital and Ignite Premier customers also have another reason to be upset: they have been paying for MANY channels that other subscribers have been receiving as a free preview for months.

I'm also a bit upset because I started this thread with the best of intentions: that it would be helpful and informative, and that healthy discussions here might even prompt Rogers to innovate and structure their packages so that they deliver better value for their customers and make Ignite TV more attractive to more people.  So far it has not turned out that way.

Topic Stats