Changes to Ignite TV Channels in Packages and Theme Packs

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Changes to Ignite TV Channels in Packages and Theme Packs

Rogers can take the channel  away  and then offer it back to you because you complain for a mere $7 add'l a month?  Is that a fair business practice?  The rep actually thought she was doing me a favour  😞

It is obvious what Rogers is doing is removing the Fox Racing channel from the Premium package to place it with some other channels into another package  which will be a new add-on.  This isn't about anything but trying to up sell their existing customers by stripping away  products already agreed to.   Customers  buy a package at an agreed upon price with agreed upon channels, then over time Rogers increases the package price and adds insult to injury by  removing  channels in an effort to re-package those channels to up sell to those same customers.

I don't like being taken advantage of.  Just because they can, doesn't mean they should,  customers deserve some respect.  

We will see what the CRTC thinks about these policies.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@User1030445 wrote:

Rogers can take the channel  away  and then offer it back to you because you complain for a mere $7 add'l a month?  Is that a fair business practice?  The rep actually thought she was doing me a favour  😞

Rogers removed Fox Sports Racing from Premier.  The $7 extra that you are now paying is the monthly fee to subscribe to the individual channel.  The alternative is to pay $10 to get Fox Racing as part of Adventure Theme Pack.

I don't like being taken advantage of.  Just because they can, doesn't mean they should,  customers deserve some respect.  

We will see what the CRTC thinks about these policies.

I wish you luck but as I said, this is nothing new.  We haven't even gotten to the point yet when Rogers announces the end of Digital TV.  It will be interesting to see what other changes are in store, whether there are only a few customers left on the old service or if there turns out to be too many customers that refuse to migrate to Ignite TV.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

"Rogers removed Fox Sports Racing from Premier. The $7 extra that you are now paying is the monthly fee to subscribe to the individual channel. The alternative is to pay $10 to get Fox Racing as part of Adventure Theme Pack."

You confirmed my point !   I can still get it but now it's either $7 or $10 extra,  last week it was part of my package.  

5 months left on my commitment (there appears to be no commitment from Rogers) ,  should have my answer from the CRTC by then.  Deceptive business practices need to brought to their attention.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@User1030445  This is technically an Ignite TV thread but if I am not mistaken, Popular and Premier on Digital TV allowed you to select a bonus channel.  I wonder if it would be possible for Rogers to add Fox Sports Racing to the list of bonus channels so that that you could add it back that way.

Tagging @CommunityHelps  to see if they might be able to help with this.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Just call In and they can email you a guide of all your channels. Simple
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I have also written to the CRTC..I enjoy that channel and had to pay an additional $7. I can stream it on line..but have to figure have to use  a dvr to record content.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Rogers chooses to remove a channel you receive as part of your package and then sell it back to you , pretending to do you a favour,   the very essence of unscrupulous business practices. 

Won't be a tough decision when my rates go up at the end of this "commitment".  Bell calls me all the time with deals.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

If you have a service agreement with Rogers then this applies...under this Rogers is considered a TVSP (Television Service Provider)  and is bound to your agreement by the CRTC.   Rogers gave notice on the removal of Fox Racing but seemed to have overlooked section 4 in this matter, this section ends at the last point #2.  I have a service agreement.

XI. Notice for changes to programming options

1. With respect to services subscribed to by a customer, a TVSP must give a customer at least 30 calendar days’ notice in the event of changes to:
    1. the price of individual channels or packages of channels;
    2. the packaging of channels; and
    3. the price of equipment.
  2. This notice must clearly explain any change and when it will take effect.
  3. The notice must clearly explain the options should a customer no longer wish to subscribe to any of the TVSP’s changed services.
  4. A TVSP may make a change to a customer’s programming options during the commitment period without the customer’s express consent if it benefits the customer by either:
    1. reducing the rate for a service or package; or
    2. providing a service for no additional fee.
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@User1030445  I believe #4 pertains to the case where the TVSP does not have to provide notice, and where you would not have grounds to terminate your service due to the change while you are still under contract.  If Rogers was prohibited from making any changes under ANY circumstances, then points #1-3 would not even be necessary and this whole section would be worded differently.

However, I do think that removing Fox Sports Racing from Premier entitles you to cancel your services with Rogers immediately without penalty.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I disagree,  this section below is the only section of the Television Service Provider Code that discusses programming changes by the cable co..   Rogers is  to adhere to these rules when making changes to existing packages, that includes notice and consent.  

It makes no sense that Roger can de-authorize a channel  to me and still  continue to offer that channel to other Rogers customers when that channel has been part of my agreement/package from day one  for which I pay a agreed upon monthly rate.  If they want to reduce my rate commensurate for removing the channel then that is another matter.

Not a lawyer but I have taken contract law,  even common sense says you don't de-authorize a channel to a customer and then turn around and offer  it back to them for $7 more a month.   Just a terrible way to treat a customer that spends multiple thousands a year with you.  If this is their policy then they need to re-think it.

I have involved the CRTC and the Rogers Ombudsman, they have been in contact with me.  I will provide an update when I get clarity on this situation. 

XI. Notice for changes to programming options
  1. With respect to services subscribed to by a customer, a TVSP must give a customer at least 30 calendar days’ notice in the event of changes to:
    1. the price of individual channels or packages of channels;
    2. the packaging of channels; and
    3. the price of equipment.
  2. This notice must clearly explain any change and when it will take effect.
  3. The notice must clearly explain the options should a customer no longer wish to subscribe to any of the TVSP’s changed services.
  4. A TVSP may make a change to a customer’s programming options during the commitment period without the customer’s express consent if it benefits the customer by either:
    1. reducing the rate for a service or package; or
    2. providing a service for no additional fee.