cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you use a NextBox with Ignite TV service?

ptatherton
I've been here awhile

Ignite Premier - Is there any reason I cannot continue to use my Nextbox 3.0 for TVor does this new ignite TV box mean I have to remove it.

I own that box and would like if possible to keep it on the main TV. My wife is not good with change and she is the main user. I may have the tech install the new box upstairs.

I also have my own mesh setup attached to my Rocket Modem so I'm hoping to just swap that out, give the gigabit router the same name and go from there.

**Labels Added**

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Can you use a NextBox with Ignite TV service?

ptatherton
I've been here awhile

Thanks for replying. 

For my part it really wouldn't bother me (any person in IT who can't handle change doesn't belong there). I'm constantly changing things and updating devices. 

But for now at least I know my wife can continue to use the NextBox she is accustomed to and I get the Gigabit Internet I need. Anything for a quiet life. 🙂

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Biollw
I'm a senior advisor

No. Ignite TV is IPTV and uses new media devices. All TVs must have a Xi6 to view and enjoy TV. Your wife will love the voice control of the TV.  Older cable boxes will not work. 

You should be able to retain the same SSID name and in theory plug and go.

Good Luck

Bill

ptatherton
I've been here awhile

thanks for the quick reply.

As a Cybersecurity engineer I don't allow microphones on any devices and all computer cameras are blocked.

If I cannot retain the cable connection for my downstairs TV I'm out.

Looks like I'm cancelling my Friday appointment. 

ptatherton
I've been here awhile

Turns out they are not moving me to IP TV so there will be no new TV box. They are just bringing a gigabit internet modem and that is really all I wanted.

So problem solved.

While I doubt it will be any time soon.. there will be a time, when like analog disappeared, that they will get rid of standard digital TV (they are already not signing any new people up to it)

Part of the issue, is that a lot of the manufacturers of the cable boxes (Like cisco in case of almost the rogers boxes outside of the 4k one), have sort of stopped making/developing them.  Will mean limited supply (outside of always refurbing them), no further new support, changes, etc.

I did have an initial concern with the MIC part too.
But generally there are two types of mic devices.. always listening and manual ones.  Things like alexa, google home, some TVs, etc.. area always listening for the 'HEY GOOGLE' trigger, but are always listening.
The rogers one, is manual.  you HAVE TO press the button.  There should be no listening at all unless its pressed. 

ptatherton
I've been here awhile

Thanks for replying. 

For my part it really wouldn't bother me (any person in IT who can't handle change doesn't belong there). I'm constantly changing things and updating devices. 

But for now at least I know my wife can continue to use the NextBox she is accustomed to and I get the Gigabit Internet I need. Anything for a quiet life. 🙂

Topic Stats
  • 5 replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 3 in conversation