cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't Watch Ignite TV App Outside The House?

Kylek91
I've been here awhile

Hey guys, just got rogers ignite about a week ago, my girlfriend was at home watching it and I tried using my app while I was away.. and it wasn't working for me says not available for every channel that I have.. but it was working still at home..

With that being said, Is rogers Ignite able to work from multiple IP addresses at the same time?

***EDITED LABELS***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Can't Watch Ignite TV App Outside The House?

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Kylek91 There are viewing restrictions with Ignite TV.  There is a limit to the number of active streams that you are allowed for non-set-top box devices, even within the home, and a limited number of streams that you can have active outside your home.  Also, due to content restrictions, some channels can only be watched inside your home (only the TV Go channels can be viewed outside)  and you cannot watch any Ignite TV outside of Canada.

View solution in original post

30 REPLIES 30

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Kylek91 There are viewing restrictions with Ignite TV.  There is a limit to the number of active streams that you are allowed for non-set-top box devices, even within the home, and a limited number of streams that you can have active outside your home.  Also, due to content restrictions, some channels can only be watched inside your home (only the TV Go channels can be viewed outside)  and you cannot watch any Ignite TV outside of Canada.

Kylek91
I've been here awhile
Thank you for the info.. part of my problem was I was using a VPN at the time and I didn't clue into that.

Thank you again.

fxy208
I've been here awhile

I am in grand bend but my home is in Brampton I have noticed just the us channels are blocked I am watching over the internet on a  laptop it’s to same on my phone etc is there a way to get those channels I have noticed that sometimes it works than go back later and it’s blocked 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

As discussed in the solution post for this thread, all subscribed channels can be seen at your home location, however, only the TVGo channels can be streamed outside your home due content restrictions.  The TVGo channels follow the list of regular channels - scroll way down to see them, or select them via LiveTV dropdown at the top of the screen.

You cannot stream anything outside of Canada, although you can use download and go if you know you're going to be away and if you've recorded the programme already.

https://www.rogers.com/support/tv/how-to-use-download-and-go-with-ignite-tv

EWhy
I've been around
Has there been a recent change to stations that can be viewed away from home? Specifically, I normally stream cnbc while I'm at the office at work or in the car, but this morning the app is telling me it's only available on my home WiFi. If this is the case I'll be cancelling my service given its really the only channel I watch.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

For me it's still shown as a TVGO channel, so provided you're in Canada, it should work.  The TVGo channels are listed at the bottom of the channels in the app when viewing all channels, or you can select TVGo channels (Available out of home) as a filter.

emerson7
I plan to stick around

Has this TVGO change happened recently?  I could always watch MSNBC on my iPad but now it talks about connecting to my in-house WiFi which I am on.  This was the whole point of Ignite use around the house.  Does you know if this change has effect Bell?

emerson7
I plan to stick around

This is the first time I have heard that there is a limit to the number of active streams, is this number listed anywhere?  Is this a Rogers thing or are other providers better?

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@emerson7 wrote:

This is the first time I have heard that there is a limit to the number of active streams, is this number listed anywhere?  Is this a Rogers thing or are other providers better?

Last I heard, you were allowed a maximum 5 Ignite TV streams total with the web player and Ignite TV app, and up to 2 of those streams can be outside of your home.  (That should be listed here: https://www.rogers.com/support/tv/faqs-about-the-ignite-tv-app)

I believe that Rogers also limits you to 10 set-top boxes in your home.  Those streams are counted separately but there is also a practical limit to how many you have running at a time depending on how much Internet bandwidth you have and the type and quality of the content that you are streaming.

emerson7
I plan to stick around

I only have 2 TVs and boxes for Ignite and have no problem with them in fact only use one TV 95% of the time.  The issue is I was not able to access some live TV Stations on my iPad while in the house on the same WiFi, this has always worked in the past.  CNN would play but MSNBC would not, I see it is working today so not sure why the restriction yesterday from Rogers?

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@emerson7 Not all channels are available outside of the home.  With the latest version of the mobile app, you can see the ones that are by applying the "Available out of home" filter, and on the Ignite TV Web player, they are listed as "TV Go" channels.

emerson7
I plan to stick around

Yes, I see that "not all channels are available outside of the home" unfortunately I was at my home and some channels were not available yesterday but I can access them today! 

Is this a recent change as it is new to me?  This is a huge step backward in service and convenience, my next question is this specific to Rogers or does this apply to Bell as well? 

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@emerson7 wrote:

Yes, I see that "not all channels are available outside of the home" unfortunately I was at my home and some channels were not available yesterday but I can access them today! 

Is this a recent change as it is new to me?  This is a huge step backward in service and convenience, my next question is this specific to Rogers or does this apply to Bell as well? 

What kind of device are you using to watch Ignite TV?

Rogers recently made some changes in my neighbourhood and I now have a new IP address that some services geolocate to being out of province!  My iPhone (which can do its own precise geolocation) still works fine but I suspect that if I try watching on a desktop PC, https://ignitetv.rogers.com may think that I am watching outside of my home.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@-G- , Using an iPad - also active in the following thread. IP is showing incorrect addresss...

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/MyRogers-Rogers-Apps/Ignite-TV-app-on-Ipad-In-Home-wifi/m-p/50...

emerson7
I plan to stick around

I watch Ignite with no problems on a regular Samsung TV, problem has come when watching live TV on my iPad while in my home.  My IP Address doesn’t make any sense as it looks like it is in Newfoundland while I am in Ontario.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@emerson7 wrote:

I watch Ignite with no problems on a regular Samsung TV, problem has come when watching live TV on my iPad while in my home.  My IP Address doesn’t make any sense as it looks like it is in Newfoundland while I am in Ontario.

I don't know how Rogers and Comcast do Internet geolocation but there are several 3rd-party services that keep track of how Internet Service Providers, such as Rogers, configure their networks.  Service providers allocate IP address ranges to customers in the same area and those third-party services try to keep track of where customers with a given IP address live.  When you connect to a web site, such as Costco or Home Depot, they use that information to estimate where you live so that they can display stock levels at your local store.  However, IP addresses are like a telephone number without an area code -- there is nothing inherent about it that ties it to a location -- and Rogers is free to allocate IP addresses that they once gave out to customers Moncton to customers in Waterloo.  They may (eventually) inform some of those 3rd-party IP geolocation services of their network changes or they may leave them to figure out the changes on their own... and this may also cause some services to provide correct location data to a site while others do not.

Meanwhile, Home Depot thinks that I am located in Quebec and displays part of their web site in French.

However, Ignite TV still allows me to access all of my channels from my Desktop PC and from my iPhone, even when I disable Location Services on my iPhone and force the Rogers web site to fall back to using IP geolocation.

If you are in your home but the Ignite TV app thinks otherwise, and you are not using a VPN service, this is a problem that only Rogers and Comcast can resolve.  Try sending a private message to @CommunityHelps and hopefully they can engage with the right people internally to get this issue resolved for you.

emerson7
I plan to stick around

Thanks very much this explains a lot.  I have experienced this when logging into Costco it never knows which province I am in.  I have not been using my VPN while at home but I will try using it on my iPad and select Ontario as a site and see if this makes more sense to Ignite on my iPad.  Currently, my IP address is in Newfoundland!

Deens
I've been around
I think that’s ridiculous. With Bell Fibe you can watch your recordings at a min

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Deens wrote:
I think that’s ridiculous. With Bell Fibe you can watch your recordings at a min

What specific restriction are you running into?  The Bell TV app also limits the number of active streams that you can have outside your home, AND they place a limit on the number of registered devices that you can have.

As for not being able to watch Ignite TV while travelling outside the country, they do clearly state the Ignite TV and app restrictions under "See Full Details" on https://www.rogers.com/bundles

On compatible iOS and Android devices, within Canada, where you have an Internet connection. Out-of-home streaming limited to 2 devices at the same time and combined in-home and out-of-home streaming limited to 5 devices at the same time (including streaming via ignitetv.rogers.com on your computer). Content and feature availability dependent on licensed content rights. Data usage charges may apply when off your home Rogers network.

1george
I've been here awhile
Been using ingnite tv all summer at the cottage within the province, now it now it saying I’m outside of Canada
Topic Stats
  • 30 replies
  • 11 Likes
  • 11 in conversation