cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I purchase a used Rogers Ignite box and use it on my Account?

johndossantos
I've been here awhile

Can I purchase a used Rogers Ignite box and use it on my account?

I've seen a few people listing Rogers Ignite boxes on Kijiji, and am wondering if I can purchase these and use them on my account.

According to one person, they own the box (received the box as part of some Rogers promotion) but don't need it.

Has anyone had success with this?

The only related information I can find is that someone bought a non-Rogers version of the box and Rogers would not authorize it.

***Edited Labels***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Can I purchase a used Rogers Ignite box and use it on my Account?

These boxes may have been rented at no charge, however, the boxes were never sold or given away.  My suggestion would be to get the serial number from the seller and call Rogers to see if they would activate it on your account.

You could also contact Rogers without the serial number and ask if they would activate a box from someone else on your account.

The first box and the gateway may not even show on an account, but they must be returned to Rogers or there will be charges for the equipment.  Unlike Legacy Digital Cable, Ignite was always like this.  No one with IgniteTV owns their equipment.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Biollw
I'm a senior advisor

If they are selling them on kijiji, then the boxes are stolen or not returned. You can not own the ignite set top boxes they are rentals ONLY.

Stay away from them.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I did a search for "Rogers Ignite" in Kijiji.  Here are my comments:

1. As indicated by @Biollw , these boxes are rentals only and will not be activated by Rogers if you were to buy it.

2. I found a box and a gateway on Kijiji by the same person (In Scarborough).  He doesn't even provide the correct model number of the box, he gives the model number of the remote.  I'm guessing this person did not come by this equipment honestly.

3.  I have reported the seller to Kijiji.

Biollw
I'm a senior advisor

Yes I saw those on Kijiji as well. Wonder how he got them? 

johndossantos
I've been here awhile

Here's the conversation I had with the only person to address my questions:
Me:

"Hello! Can you confirm that you own the device and are not renting it? Has the device serial number been removed from your account? Is this device blocked by Rogers in any way? My concern is that I don't see an option to buy these devices from Rogers, and I'm not sure how people are able sell them. Thanks!!"

Seller:

"Yes we own it. We got it complimentary with wifi"

"We don’t need it, so selling it."

Are there actual offers from Rogers where people are provided with boxes?
Maybe something to do with Smart Stream as opposed to Ignite TV?

I'm a long time Rogers customer, so I can imagine this being a new customer offer that would not be available to existing customers.

These boxes may have been rented at no charge, however, the boxes were never sold or given away.  My suggestion would be to get the serial number from the seller and call Rogers to see if they would activate it on your account.

You could also contact Rogers without the serial number and ask if they would activate a box from someone else on your account.

The first box and the gateway may not even show on an account, but they must be returned to Rogers or there will be charges for the equipment.  Unlike Legacy Digital Cable, Ignite was always like this.  No one with IgniteTV owns their equipment.

Seller:

"Yes we own it. We got it complimentary with wifi"

"We don’t need it, so selling it."

Thats probably it.   Sure, they may not SEE a specific charge for the rental on their account, may be all included.
EG: I have 3 boxes in my house.  I only see 2 rentals on the BILL part.  But going into the TV section you see all 3 boxes.  So one is included in the package.
BUT it doesnt mean i OWN that one.

These people assume they own them as they dont see billing for them.

BIG surprise, when they go to cancel their rogers.. and get hit with like a $100(?) fine for not returning the hardware 😛

Topic Stats
  • 6 replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 4 in conversation