Can I get a Hitachi50SBX70B TV to work with Ignite

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Can I get a Hitachi50SBX70B TV to work with Ignite

We just got  Rogers Ignite  The system works beautifully except with one of our ancient TVs. We have a Hitachi 50sbx70B which I believe is 22 years old. All it has RCA jacks. It doesn't have an HDMI  connector. When we had the installation done we were told that we need to get an RCA to HDMI converter. I did that in fact I tried a number of them and I still can't get anything on that TV.  Does someone have another idea or is this TV incompatible with that kind of Internet-based television service? I very much appreciate any comments. Thank you

***Edited Labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Can I get a Hitachi50SBX70B TV to work with Ignite

@JRG1 wrote:

...we were told that we need to get an RCA to HDMI converter.

I have the following comments:

1.  I assume you mean HDMI to RCA.

2. I assume you've connected the yellow (composite) cable to the appropriate input on the TV (1 or 2?, not monitor out). (as well as the red/white audio cables).  I assume you've tuned the TV to that input (Input 1 or 2?).

3. I believe this is not an HDTV (looked briefly at the web specs), so you need to set the output of the Ignite box to 480i. It may currently be set to 4K or 1080P or some other incompatible signal. This is found somewhere under the "settings". (I don't have Ignite.)  Since you can't currently see anything on the Hitachi, you'll have to temporarily connect the Ignite box to another TV to switch to 480i output format.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I would THINK that converter box would convert it down?
(I know I have a composite to hdmi, which auto converts it up)
Though, the converter box may only take a max resolution.  I agree with 57 that the ignite box should be set as low as possible first.

And 57s other mention.. that its a hdmi to composite.
Many of these devices are one way.  So if you got a composite to hdmi, then it  probably wouldnt work.

I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks so much for your comments. Between you and 57 I work that my problem. It was because of you that I understood that I was trying to use the wrong converter. As I mentioned to 57 it's wonderful to have a forum like this that can help solve unique problems. Thanks again for your time and your expertise. I must say this is very different than the kind of expert technical help that I was getting from Rogers which basically told me that my TV was too old and this will never work. Three cheers for this form never give up until you've asked others